Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1782615 times)

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #12015 on: February 25, 2015, 07:09:40 pm »

I looked down in the shower today. Now my night will be sleepless.
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: February 25, 2015, 07:10:25 pm »

Genitals aren't that terrifying, man. Unless there were teeth or something.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12017 on: February 25, 2015, 07:13:03 pm »

It was like my genitalia turned into a hairy bezoar.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: February 25, 2015, 07:15:04 pm »

It's called puberty, man.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12019 on: February 25, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »

You don't know man. You weren't there man.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: February 25, 2015, 07:17:31 pm »

Man, this conversation changed quick, man.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: February 25, 2015, 07:19:20 pm »

I know man. Y'see my main man, I gotta occasionally shitpost to help things stay all fine and dandy. Man.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51:31 pm »

Well, mission successful, I guess? Man.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:41 pm »

Professor Gorilla.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: February 25, 2015, 08:03:11 pm »

He'll get his PhD by writing a thesis about the economy eventually producing a gorillion dollas, at which point everyone will holla to get a dolla.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: February 25, 2015, 08:14:13 pm »

And there aren't necessarily any do-overs.

Also consider that intelligent AI would not necessarily be governable by the humans that made them.
Why wouldn't it be? We have 40 years or so where we will be doing bugfixing on AI's that are almost as smart as humans but not quite. I'd certainly hope we would be able to iron out problems like "develops an uncontrollable urge to destroy the human race" in the 40 or so years of beta testing.

I think you might be making a common mistake, which is assuming we will go current computers -> uncontrollable AI in a single leap. We won't, we'll slowly get smarter and smarter AI's as we develop the current ones, until eventually we get one that is smarter than we are (and even that probably won't kick things off immediately, since you not only need an AI smarter than we are, but also need an AI smarter than we are working on AI development). We're not talking about something some kid is going to randomly make in their basement some day, nor are we talking about some global defense program that stupidly put cutting edge machine learning in without any safeguards. Most likely the first smarter than us AI will be created in a lab designed for AI research (much like the ones we have today) that has been working for decades towards creating one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:35 pm »

I guess you can call it Lemurilla's Thrilla Paper in Teaching How to Holla for a Dolla Dolla Bill, Y'all. 

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: February 25, 2015, 09:19:09 pm »

And there aren't necessarily any do-overs.

Also consider that intelligent AI would not necessarily be governable by the humans that made them.
Why wouldn't it be? We have 40 years or so where we will be doing bugfixing on AI's that are almost as smart as humans but not quite. I'd certainly hope we would be able to iron out problems like "develops an uncontrollable urge to destroy the human race" in the 40 or so years of beta testing.

I think you might be making a common mistake, which is assuming we will go current computers -> uncontrollable AI in a single leap. We won't, we'll slowly get smarter and smarter AI's as we develop the current ones, until eventually we get one that is smarter than we are (and even that probably won't kick things off immediately, since you not only need an AI smarter than we are, but also need an AI smarter than we are working on AI development). We're not talking about something some kid is going to randomly make in their basement some day, nor are we talking about some global defense program that stupidly put cutting edge machine learning in without any safeguards. Most likely the first smarter than us AI will be created in a lab designed for AI research (much like the ones we have today) that has been working for decades towards creating one.
I'm not saying it's going to all happen at once, but that's also a problem. We can barely maintain the computers we have today, and our ability to do so is not even close to keeping pace with our need. This combined with the gradual onset and development of the AI means we may not even recognize there's a problem until long after it's been established. Small steps just don't grab that much attention. It's the problem of "just a little bit more won't hurt", until it catches up with you and it causes serious problems. It requires constant attention and I'm not confident it's getting it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: February 27, 2015, 04:31:51 pm »

Jeez, I skip ten pages (on my phone) and you guys are still going on about this?!

Anyway: had a nightmare that I slept in and missed my flight, woke up in a panic. Argh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 1419