Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 471317 times)

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #675 on: September 12, 2012, 03:44:17 pm »

I don't even know what that means.  When I said before about leaving the dungeon right at the start, I am pretty sure someone else mentioned the bosses will just level with you anyway, so it seemed pointless not to do the starter dungeon at the beginning.  I have no idea what you're supposed to do if you can neither level more in other areas nor go straight through the first dungeon that it starts you in.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #676 on: September 12, 2012, 04:37:46 pm »

I actually am not sure what the issue is, I think norgos is one of the easier ones. Have you tried going to trollmire? It might be easier now. Alternately if you're having trouble, go to trollmire, do the first two floors, norgos's woods, first two floors, etc. All the starter dungeons have 3 floors, so just clear them out for some levels and come back for the bosses.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 12, 2012, 04:41:17 pm »

That in particular looks like just bad luck, really. Norgos is pretty much the easiest boss in the game to kill, and you can usually take 'im around level two, level three. Normally you just regen-tank your way through his damage and murder the poor bear... maybe kite a bit if you can't just flat faceroll him. Though that latter bit is obviously difficult when he's there to shake your hand when you walk down the stairs, heh.

Worst comes to worst, you might clear out a few levels on other zones, get another level or two, or perhaps cash in some junk and buy a second regen or heal infusion... maybe a better weapon. All those can help.

Bosses level with you to a degree, yes, but you tend to benefit considerably more than they do from more levels, especially in the early game where every level can exponentially increase your survivability (by giving you access to certain key talents, etc., so forth.). Level three is one of the safer breakpoints for taking any of the first tier dungeon bosses... level four if you're really unsure. The second tier talents tend to make the early bosses considerably easier, as a rule.

Though it's not necessary, per se. All of the first tier dungeons (except the dwarf stuff, I guess.) can and have been cleared starting at level one. Many (perhaps all) of the bosses have been killed at level one. So, it's doable, though there's an element of luck involved.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 12, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »

Yeah, it does seem like he's got some pretty bad luck. However I agree with the others in this thread, Norgos is the easiest tier-one boss. In my opinion out of the ones I've fought Prox the Mighty, the Shade of Kor'Pul, and Bill the Stone Troll are the hardest in that order. Then again I usually play a Higher so by the time I face Norgos or any of the other tier-one bosses in the areas outside of the designated quest area I've managed to hit at least level 9 to level 11, though that depends on whether or not I'm playing an Archmage.

I want to play a Thalore sometime but honestly I'm having too much fun with my Higher characters. After that I might try a Dwarf but that's unlikely - I never play Dwarves in any game, nor Halflings for that matter. Dwarves. Then again seeing as despite my attempts to get back into Dwarf Fortress I find myself not wanting to go more than past the first Spring I should give it a try once more.

Playing a Dwarf that is, the Halflings can shove off if they're not from Middle-Earth. Every single damn setting that uses the name "Halfling" makes them unappealing to me in some way to the point where my dislike of them shows in some of my more haughty or arrogant characters. Regardless, I do like how from what I've heard Dwarves have good saves in this game like they do in many of the other games I've seen them in. I'll give them a shot sometime.

However, the bosses of the Dwarf starter dungeons seem to be a tad difficult. One of them for some odd reason makes me think of that movie Teeth however, which makes me want to try a Dwarf even more. In hindsight though I probably should wear a cup.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »

Just to note, though. T4 halflings are a bit, ah... distanced... from the stereotypes. I like them in the same way I like darksun halflings <3 Imperialist slaver midgets, huzzah! Though their racial talents are... iffy.

Though they're definitely dislikable. Most of the setting's problems were directly or indirectly caused by the halflings. Spellblaze? Halflings, by way of the orcs. Orcs? Halflings. Elves (well, shalore and rhalore, anyway) splitting up? Halflings, largely by way of the spellblaze and repercussions. Nagas,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
? Halflings, same as before. Yeeks? Halflings. The list goes on.

Thalore are probably the closest that T4 has to a "good guy" faction. They mostly just want to be left alone, heh. Mechanically, they're pretty solid. Racials aren't top-tier, but they're solid and the thalore stat spread and life rating are quite good for physical classes and the non-magic (I.e. Willpower) hybrids. They're a solid race, though definitely the "weaker" of the two elves (5/5 timeless does ridiculous things for several of the classes. Elfzerker is best zerker.).

Dwarves dug too deep. They have excellent stats (particularly their life rating, which is the highest of the living races, iirc) and their saves talent remains one of the best saves boosting talent in the game, despite more than one nerf.
Ask not!
Ask!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:57 pm »

...Actually come to think about it the way you put it makes me like the halflings of Maj'Eyal more than the other settings that in my opinion just ripped off Tolkien. I think I'll try a Halfling for the first time since I started with ADOM back around 2001-2004, thank you.

As for the Thalore it does seem like they're the equivalent of "good" in Maj'Eyal. That's alright I suppose, but then again I usually play a character that teeters around Neutral Good - Chaotic Good - Chaotic Neutral to begin with so it works out either way. The Thalore to me seem to be that first choice, which is unusual for Wood Elves as I know them, but it makes them seem even more worthwhile to play.

The Dwarves kind of make sense from how you've said them - Dwarves in my opinion must somehow be related to Dragons for how greedy and materialistic the lot of them are. I like the whole stats bit as well since usually the stats are the core of the character base, but the only problem is I've played exactly one Dwarven character in my entire time gaming and have had two in my entire time doing some kind of in-my-head storytelling so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with them.

However I'll give them a try despite that since they seem kind of fun. After I hit all of the tier one dungeons on Granmeri, Weissel and Aldeen I'll start with a Thalore or a Dwarf. I'm thinking Thalore Archer, Thalore Archmage or Thalore Summoner versus a Dwarf Archmage. As for the Halfling, I think a Halfling Temporal Warden or a Halfling Archmage might work.

...Can you tell that I like Archmage? It's one of my favorites because of how easy it is for me to play as one and get to level 15-20, which is usually as high as I go right now. Out of the three serious runs I've done previously for Archmage I've gotten all three to level 20+, but then again I constitute a "serious" run as one where I'm trying to beat a previously-set high score.

...My high score was 284 with my Higher Archmage Granmeri. It was also my second high score because I while half asleep had her revive with the Blood of Life in the same spot. Shame it's not there anymore, it was kind of entertaining having lost the game twice to two of her Inner Demons. Anyways, time to fix a playlist with some nice Japanese music, take a shower and then get into the game and work on getting Granmeri through the tier-one dungeons, followed by her "sisters" Aldeen and Weissel.

It's going to be a long night, but what better way to spend it than with my characters that I love and adore in a game I've quickly grown to love and adore and do so more and more each time I play? None if you lack a social life or love life like how I do. Anyways, once again thank you Frumple for turning me onto Halflings. Despite my tendency to play characters of the alignment I have mentioned before I think it would be nice to play a character I could nuture into a formidable antagonist.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 13, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »

Woo, finally won. The fact that it was with a Yeek Solipsist does make it quite a bit less impressive, but a win is a win.
All the pictures were taken a bit before the final battle.
Spoiler: Part of my char dump (click to show/hide)
Also, endgame get thickskin maxed. It doesn't matter what class you are, I can't see more con (you probably shouldn't bother before you max your two primaries if you aren't taking con however)  and +15% resist all hurting anyone, it is pretty much the best way to spend 5 generic points.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:35:13 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:22 pm »

I finally did manage to beat him.  It would have been a lot easier if the Cutpurse standing back amongst the crowd of animal friends didn't keep using his Sun Infusion every chance he got, but I suppose that's just how it's gonna go.  Huzzaw.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #683 on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:16 pm »

Cutpurses are fairly rare in T1 dungeons (although not like, one in every hojillion instances rare) so again, just a bit of bad luck. :P

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 14, 2012, 12:21:02 pm »

Well it looks like that unless if I've missed something in Elvala or Shatur that Weissel - my female Higher Temporal Warden - will have to do the Maze without anything to cure mental status effects. On the plus side she's got a movement infusion so that might help somewhat.

However the only place I haven't really had her check is Derth, which right now is home to some buttmad lightning elementals that will kill her in one blow. Do I have Weissel go into Derth and hope for the best or do I just have her rough it out with the minotaur that doesn't know how to use his indoor voice?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 14, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »

Banzai!

Though I'm sorta' mixed about the minotaur. I pretty much... never have problems with the guy, even with all the debuffs he spews out. But dude kills a lot of people so I'unno. Some confusion resist or a mental wild would help, maybe. Somewhat. A little. Debuff him first :P
Ask not!
Ask!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 14, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »

If you are squishy with no way to stop his confusion (eg. archmage) then he is tons of trouble. If you are something like a bulkward, then you can just tank through the confusion and kill him.

But since I always make sure to have a mental infusion on hand he hasn't even threatened me in a very long time (since he can't close if you resist the confusion).

EDIT: He is also the only one of the T2 bosses I have EVER had real trouble with (well, aside from the time that the old forest boss resurrected at full health unexpectedly while I was in a vault, which screwed up my blink escape and got me killed), which is quite a bit more then I can say for any of the others.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:46:22 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 14, 2012, 05:00:38 pm »

In my opinion out of the ones I've fought Prox the Mighty, the Shade of Kor'Pul, and Bill the Stone Troll are the hardest in that order.

It puzzles me that you find Prox to be a hard boss. He's so damn slow and there's so much terrain to kite him that I've never found him to be much of a threat, even for relatively weak characters
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 14, 2012, 06:31:20 pm »

Banzai!

Though I'm sorta' mixed about the minotaur. I pretty much... never have problems with the guy, even with all the debuffs he spews out. But dude kills a lot of people so I'unno. Some confusion resist or a mental wild would help, maybe. Somewhat. A little. Debuff him first :P

Well after taking Weissel on some window-shopping that ended up with the purchase of some nice gloves from Last Hope she managed to find a mental wild infusion and a nice spellcowled linen cloak of warlust. I had also forgotten that her enlightened cured leather armor of command also gave her some confusion resistance, but whatever. The minotaur fell in an epic battle that involved the overusage of wormholes and the slaying of a bandit lord and his harem of bandits.

In my opinion out of the ones I've fought Prox the Mighty, the Shade of Kor'Pul, and Bill the Stone Troll are the hardest in that order.

It puzzles me that you find Prox to be a hard boss. He's so damn slow and there's so much terrain to kite him that I've never found him to be much of a threat, even for relatively weak characters

I'm not certain how to respond to your befuddlement except to say that I've only beaten him on the first try and with ease with a Temporal Warden or an Archmage, granted that Granmeri and Ingthad (my Higher and Dwarf Archmages) were at least level 5 before fighting him. Alchemist I have some difficulty with on him if I don't pump at least three points into the golem talents by the time I face him and the Shadowblade I played died horribly because of how fragile she was. Everything else that I've played either hasn't gotten a chance to face Prox the Mighty or had been at least level 5 before facing him.

Either way Higher Archmage and Higher Temporal Warden are the best for me to use against Prox the Mighty, especially since I have Granmeri get Phase Door 4/5 by level 5 at the latest and since Weissel often has Celerity at a point where she can kite the entire population of Trollmire by around level 2-3. I make mobility a top priority for the both of them since they are largely ranged attackers, and that works out well.

...Also I don't mean to be rude or weird by saying this but please keep in mind that I've been playing Tales of Maj'Eyal for a little over two weeks and therefore can't be expected to be as awesome as everyone else. I mean just today I screwed up the whole bit with Epoch on Weissel, though at least now thanks to Edge and a few others I have put the reasons why to not just press '5' while facing your future self on the wiki. I'll get Epoch another time, perhaps on another Temporal Warden.

I might want to try Temporal Warden on a Skeleton, a Dwarf and a Halfling sometime. It's for another one of those stories in my head that I am unable to get down on paper, or at least the Skeleton Temporal Warden is. However that is a long way off, as before that I want to work on a Dwarf Archmage, a Higher Shadowblade, a Thalore Archer, a Thalore Summoner, a Higher Paradox Mage and maybe a Shalore Archmage and a Dwarf Wyrmic alongside my Higher Alchemist, Higher Archmage and Higher Temporal Warden before working on a Halfling anything.

Somewhere along the way I'll probably unlock both Skeleton and Ghoul as well, and I'll make a Yeek Archmage or a Yeek Paradox Mage in order to unlock Mindslayer after somehow defeating Subject Z. In the meantime though I'm going to work on what I said I will work on, seeing as barring me somehow fucking up in the ingame chat I will probably keep this game as my main source of roguelike entertainment for the foreseeable future.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 14, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »

Could anyone offer advice on how to make a good Corruptor? They seem super-cool and I love damage spiking, but I'm not completely sure on how you're supposed to build them and with what race.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 163