Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 471308 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1125 on: March 20, 2013, 03:07:42 pm »

Could switch over to arena runs for a while. They're a much more concise experience, and still pretty fun.

Don't have any particular advice, though. I don't really play to win or survive, I play to see interesting things happen (this gets me killed often :P) and bugger about with the mechanics here and there (which is what's caused the occasional win). Victory or defeat is tangential to my enjoyment.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 20, 2013, 03:25:45 pm »

Arena is very fun for quick paced action, along character talent/skill testing (as you level up quickly).

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 20, 2013, 03:57:03 pm »

For the most part, I think I'll just keep chugging along and see where it gets me. I've probably had a couple of characters who could have gone East but by then I wasn't particularly attentive with any of them. Normally I'm pretty meticulous and cautious, but sometimes my instincts are... lacking. In any case, thanks for the ideas, everyone, may try out Arena some time later.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 20, 2013, 04:29:05 pm »

The secret to roguelikes is spoilers and cowardice. :P

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 21, 2013, 11:06:32 am »

There's very little to spoiler in ToME. I definitely agree with cowardice though. :(
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 21, 2013, 11:48:56 am »

There's very little to spoiler in ToME. I definitely agree with cowardice though. :(
There are some likely less then known things. Such as being able to right click a creature and pull up it's entire character sheet, including talent list. Though, that is sometimes less then helpful if you don't know what the talent does or means. Or how exactly saves help you, and what you are saving against. Oddly, TOME has the best and worst UI in different areas. "Here is the creature's exact character sheet, including talent levels and stats, but what those stats mean in relation to combat, ehhhhh."

Protip: If you ever see a creature you have no knowledge of, or is rare/unique/elite/anything but a critter or normal, first thing right click and inspect creature.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 21, 2013, 12:21:58 pm »

A very important thing to do is, when meeting a strong monster with thousand of health, rare, elite or unique is to check their resistance.

Not noticing that a monster resist 95% of the exact type of damage you're doing is a good way to get a YASD.

For melee fighters it's a good idea to carry several weapons that deal very different type of damage, so when you reach a monster you simply can't reasonnably kill due to his resistance meeting exactly your damage elements, switch to a weapon that elements he's not that resistant to.

Though when meeting some +90 resist all monster, only +X penetration items may help then.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 21, 2013, 01:47:51 pm »

Victory #3: Haloria the Thalore Archer

It was actually pretty close, I used up my last life (from blood of life) on a slime tunnel boss a single turn before killing him (a unique multihued dragon/corrupter with fearscape and 70% resist physical (and 50% resist all)).
The entirety of high peak was actually pretty easy, I could be entirely wrong, but I felt like it was made a little bit easier to compensate for the bosses in the slime tunnel.

The final battle was trivial, I closed two portals with a teleport+movement infusion, then ran back to save the paladin while she was still alive.
She absorbed ~75% of the damage, and I dealt +2k damage every single turn to them, and killed the first one before I even saw the first summon from two of the portals, and killed the other without even being damaged by one of the summons.

I then went into the ID, and got killed on the first level (AKA level 75) after being ganked by three different uniques, and ended up dying due to lack of tankiness when they tracked me down.

Final thoughts: Thalore are quite strong, especially for their level. However, the 35% experience penalty is a huge pain in the ass, and means that by the time you get to high peak you will probably only be ~45 (without truly excessive farportal grinding).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 21, 2013, 01:54:01 pm »

Congrats
Usually the major difficulty in High Peak is based on what the game will generate as stair guardians. It's very possible you will not face things very strong, but it is possible that the generated guardians may be completely insanely hard.

A bit like the Slime Tunnel pillars guardians can be easy or insane too depending on what's the game generate.

Now there's the possibility the Infinite500 addon toned down monsters in there , as it is modifying a lot more than only enabling you to reach more than level 50 when you dive in the ID after the campaign, impacting then the whole game.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 21, 2013, 03:05:20 pm »

There are some likely less then known things. Such as being able to right click a creature and pull up it's entire character sheet, including talent list. Though, that is sometimes less then helpful if you don't know what the talent does or means. Or how exactly saves help you, and what you are saving against. Oddly, TOME has the best and worst UI in different areas. "Here is the creature's exact character sheet, including talent levels and stats, but what those stats mean in relation to combat, ehhhhh."

Protip: If you ever see a creature you have no knowledge of, or is rare/unique/elite/anything but a critter or normal, first thing right click and inspect creature.

Honestly, being able to check a mob's charsheet is pretty darn vital at times. I thought most people were aware of that. It's not like it's hidden or something. The stat system is way too complicated, I agree. You figure most of it out after a while, but it's really not very clear. The most useful things about the charsheet are the talents, resists and retal damage, anyway.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:55 am »

Ok I seem to have noticed a bug : if you cast an AoE, say in one of those snake closets in the Old Forest - it seems to damage only those you can see, or have seen. Creatures in the corners and outside your los are not damaged, even if the actual AoE itself should hit them based on the target tile.

Is this really so, or am I going bonkers?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 22, 2013, 10:18:43 am »

It could be a bug, i remember a situation in which i casted from a corner some area damaging spell/talent killing lots of weak enemies, then moved in the room only to see there were still weak enemies alive despite they should have been in the radius of the explosion.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 22, 2013, 11:02:51 am »

I had the same issue with the.... whatever the big slow-projectile fireball nuke of death is on a fire archmage. It's even odder than it seems though... the spell only affects things you have seen at some point... i.e. you can turn a corner, launch the slow projectile, and it will kill things that you saw, but not stuff around the corner.

It kidna made me lose interest in the archmage, despite being in the prides and going strong.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 22, 2013, 11:14:47 am »

While TOME isn't as spoiler reliant as other roguelikes it does have its fair share. Such as an unwinnable arena fight if you don't know what is in it in advance.

As for Cowardess you are right. TOME tries to trap you a lot of the time by parking you infront of dungeons you cannot beat and telling you to beat them. The REAL solution is to ignore the dungeon and do the other ones first.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 22, 2013, 11:57:20 am »

Cowardice is a common survival skill in nearly every roguelike, bravery is usually rewarded with a YASD.

But cowardice can be very boring to play but not much choice if you want to win a game, in opposite bravery can lead into really fun and epic battles facing nigh impossible odds, but then unfortunately too much dependant on luck if you're hoping for a positive outcome.

And counting on luck in a roguelike, well ... :D
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 163