Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702387 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #1200 on: July 25, 2011, 09:16:57 pm »

Some kind of [evil or chaotic] [thing or organization] causing [insert big problem here] could be used for a quite generic cooperative start, and then just say the antagonist(s) can never stick to a plan for long before being distracted/conviced something else is better/ generally being indecisive.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 25, 2011, 09:35:51 pm »

Oh man, I just thought of a way for this to work. Hehehehe.

Think Power Rangers. Where'd all those monsters come from? Varies, right. Fired in a kiln, drawn on paper, whatever. The point is, most of them were basically made on the spot out of some other component. See where I'm going with this?

The players are all villains (heroes could work too) of the preprocessed variety. Something made em, and needs em to fulfill some task, or maybe a bunch of seemingly unrelated tasks that ultimately lead up to some scheme or another. From the players' perspectives, though, they're just here to work on some goal innate to their creation/existence/whatever, then they're out of there. Back to the nether, free from the contract, the details don't matter, the point is they're cooperating while trying to achieve their own goals or dying in the attempt.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 25, 2011, 09:40:00 pm »

Sounds like it could work. :D
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 25, 2011, 09:40:12 pm »

I would totally reserve a spot in that. :D
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 26, 2011, 12:09:15 am »

Final Fantasy RTD

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Classes (click to show/hide)

I am still working on this just posting it so you guys can check out what I have, so far, and if someone wants to run it just PM me, and I will get the Class Tree worked out for you, or you can create it as you go.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:21:44 am by adwarf »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 26, 2011, 01:35:49 am »

One of the issues with Roll to Dodge a Song is that being attrition-heavy is kind of the point. Half the fun is seeing what your song creates, which also doesn't mean your character is necessarily something you want to play for long. I suspect that might have something to do with their apparent tendency to die.

That would also make a more focused game somewhat problematic, since it's either Revolving Door Adventuring Party the RTD, or Get Random Character the RTD. Maybe you could figure out a way to make the players more cooperative while still killing them off and/or allowing them to complete their goals and retire with reasonable frequency.

Well I had an idea after the last one of those died...

What if the character features from the song only lasted for a number of turns equal to (1x 2x 3x etc) the number of minutes the song lasts rounded [Down / Up], and then you pick a new song and the cycle repeats. It mitigates the character boredom handily enough.

Or each character could select a playlist of character songs that was "shuffled" through, so you don't really know what your next personality shift is going to be.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 26, 2011, 05:29:22 am »

What if the character features from the song only lasted for a number of turns equal to (1x 2x 3x etc) the number of minutes the song lasts rounded [Down / Up], and then you pick a new song and the cycle repeats. It mitigates the character boredom handily enough.

Or each character could select a playlist of character songs that was "shuffled" through, so you don't really know what your next personality shift is going to be.
Don't like basing the duration off song length, but Roll to Mutate A Song could prove pretty interesting as well.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 26, 2011, 05:32:32 am »

Don't like basing the duration off song length, but Roll to Mutate A Song could prove pretty interesting as well.

*Shrugs* It makes perfect sense... Ah well, when has sense ever mattered on the DF forums anyway?

Sign me up if it ever gets made.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 26, 2011, 05:33:08 am »

RtMaS? Explain yourself, please, Irony. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 26, 2011, 05:40:04 am »

Well, instead of your character being built around a single song, it's built around a song that keeps getting changed, and presumably you keep residual bits of your "history" in the process.

It'd also be set in Rhapsody, and I have no idea what that is but I can't imagine it wouldn't be set in a place called Rhapsody so, yeah.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 26, 2011, 05:48:03 am »

Hmm... not really sure how that would work. Would it start off like a normal RtDaS, only the player submits a number of songs and the GM switches whichever one he's using at set intervals/randomly?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 26, 2011, 05:52:45 am »

I'd probably tend more towards just requesting a new song every X turns.

Otherwise, it'd go something like this. For the sake of simplicity, we'll assume every song corresponds to an animal.

RtDaS: You send in a song, you get Cat. You play as a cat, and then either die or catch the mouse and leave.

RtMaS: You send in a song, you get Cat. You play as a cat, and then at some point send in a different song. You get Dog, and are now a dog with cat ears and the ability to climb trees. Then you send in another song and get Walrus, and are now a climbing walrus with a good sense of smell and cat ears.

I don't know exactly how this madness ends.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 26, 2011, 06:09:20 am »

Reserve me a spot so I can spam everyone my list of Metallica songs~
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 26, 2011, 06:31:06 am »

A reserve would be nice/interesting. Just like Bdthemag.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 26, 2011, 08:20:44 am »

I would like to remind that I had a spot reserved and that is still a thing but if it isn't reserving a spot now.

[/run on sentence]
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 661