Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702187 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Just start Roll to Twit. Please.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lawas you are the most amazing person.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Also screw god games and sandboxes? What is wrong with you.
In fact, I should make a visual novel RTD just for you. :P

I've discovered that my greatest problem with sandbox and god games is that you cannot derail a train you have yourself built.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Also screw god games and sandboxes? What is wrong with you.
For reference, he's one of the players who chose to quit RTD of the Dragon. One of the first, I think.

But I can definitely see where he's coming from. RTD of the Dragon achieved almost nothing in its entire lifetime. It achieved something: Players as dragons. But it had no plot. No substance. No direction. I won't run an RTD like it again, not without a serious plot plotted (heh) in the background.

Of course, it could have just been me being a crappy GM. That's also always a possibility.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I think RTD of the Dragon is actually a great exercise I would recommend to any GM. Which is the ability to come up with interesting things for the players based off their actions and rolls rather than the world you've already built. Wasn't quite my thing, but sandbox games can be hard to run. With exceptions.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

No, I think RTD of the Dragon is actually a great exercise I would recommend to any GM. Which is the ability to come up with interesting things for the players based off their actions and rolls rather than the world you've already built.
I... don't really remember doing much or any of that.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

No, I think RTD of the Dragon is actually a great exercise I would recommend to any GM. Which is the ability to come up with interesting things for the players based off their actions and rolls rather than the world you've already built. Wasn't quite my thing, but sandbox games can be hard to run. With exceptions.
So making stuff up as you go along. Tend to do that way to often.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I'm actually doing that with Life Begins At Death. I roll for everything - locations, loot, people the players meet, their reactions to the players and so forth. The result is frequently madness, though the players seem to like meeting all sorts of weird things just fine. Well, that is, until most of them lost their characters to horrible misadventure as a result of one too many 1s.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Just start Roll to Twit. Please.

I'd like to, but I should really finish one of my other games first or they'd all get less than one update a week.

Gosh, DH. Where is the blushing emoticon?

;)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Mansion First Floor (click to show/hide)

Alrighty, so there's that. Look good? Legible? Eyes not bleeding? I swear the geometry is totally Euclidean, if not precisely to scale.

Second floor will feature the Lounge, Study, Library, and Billiards Room (since my knowledge of what rich people houses are like is based on Clue) and as many bedrooms as I can stuff in there, as well as Stairs to Attic. The Attic and Cellar don't need maps, I think, since they're each just a really big room crammed full of crap and monsters. Similarly The Hedge Maze, Observatory, Tennis Court and blah blah blah are all areas outside the Mansion proper that don't really need their own map, assuming the family doesn't decide to flee the obviously haunted mansion and camp out in the shed the rest of the winter.

Any rooms that I'm missing or would be cool to add? Since the plot is setting-based, I figured I should start with figuring out what rooms are in the Mansion and the surrounding area.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

A Gymnasium?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Maybe an indoor pool, sauna, or jacuzzi? Something of that nature, anyway.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

There has to be a trophy room, definitely. And the cellar has to have lots of wine in it.

Also, what's that red triangular unmarked space? Just bricked up or a chimney?

Finally, that's going to be a pretty unusual-looking mansion.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:51:39 am by Harry Baldman »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Should probably have a creepy faces room. Hallway full of paintings, room full of busts, just anything that's probably supposed to be classy or cultured but makes you wonder why they would ever make something like this during a rainstorm.

And yes, definitely a trophy room. Maybe even two! One for tribal relics and possibly strange puzzle boxes, another for stuffed animal heads that staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare at you while you're trying to enjoy the fire in your big red chair. Also a musket over the mantlepiece, naturally.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Should probably have a creepy faces room. Hallway full of paintings, room full of busts, just anything that's probably supposed to be classy or cultured but makes you wonder why they would ever make something like this during a rainstorm.

And yes, definitely a trophy room. Maybe even two! One for tribal relics and possibly strange puzzle boxes, another for stuffed animal heads that staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare at you while you're trying to enjoy the fire in your big red chair. Also a musket over the mantlepiece, naturally.
Ugh, no trophy room can be a trophy room without that plush red carpet and the sidetable for that nice mug you've always been wanting to drink from but couldn't.

Also, a glass case. Because nothing is better to display your possessions than a breakable glass case!
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 661