Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699544 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Blood Sport for Fun and Profit
Somewhat Durara inspired, but not exactly. Only the basic ideas, like the school/gang mix.

The idea is, there are four players of each faction (Red, Blue and Yellow.
Each group has different abilities, as such:
The Red Team
Members of the red team carry in their blood magics from old times. While most potential members go without ever realizing these powers, they can be awakened through ritual (which is the Red team initiation.) The powers are very different in nature, such as elemental abilities, abilities to affect time, probability, cause illusions, summon spirits, and many, many more. Only one area is ever present in a bloodline, however.

The Blue Team
The Blue team are silent, nearly undetectable due to not having any "gang identity", they are simply a group of people who've pleged to band together. The Blue Team started as a fourm for hackers, and as thus, is highly technologically proficient. Hacking into the school wifi and past the blocks with their smartphones is child's play to most members.

The Yellow Team
The Yellow Team are the most militaristic of groups, the bursts of violence they're involved in always ending in a very quick and bloody resolution. No one knows how, but they have an armory akin to a military base, and most members are trained in various forms of hand-to-hand combat: they have their own karate and wrestling teams.

They generally obey the rules, however, though higher-ranking members have been known to bribe the schools to "look past" things so long as no one gets hurt.

---

Phase 1: School
This phase is where everyone mingles; it's rare to see someone blatantly showing off gang insignia, colors, or abilities. Generally everyone gets along but events in this stage can spark fights in later stages.

Phase 2: Afterschool
This phase is a cross between school and night phases. Here lies afterschool activities, and generally, this is often also a peaceful time (but not always.) Things that would cause fighting to escalate in Phase 1 would be disasterous here.

Phase 3: Night
This phase is where most gang activity happens, which is mostly beyond your control, but is influenced by your actions. You can also act in this phase, but doing so is not always wise.

Players of gangs not actively fighting can interact without worry. Player characters will also only die in extreme situations, such as being in the wrong place next to a gang that's gone total war with their faction.

Note that on occasion, "missions" will be asked for players. These can be gang related, or things such as school projects. Note that teachers don't care or realize who's in a rival gang: you might be lab partners with a sworn enemy.

Lastly, there's a GM Avatar working to put everything to shit, to cause the fall of a city. He's an NPC, one of many, that has powers unlike what he first appears to have. Depending on how he or she is found out, there may be a climactic battle, or a simple "whoops, you just randomly decided to shoot the antiplayer".

There is a goal: kill the antiplayer(s). This is made harder when you have to make sure the gangs don't enter total war, which you have little control over- you have just enough.

A loss scenario is "Total War VS All, where all gangs want to kill each other. Not all need to be at Total War, only two of them, and the last fighting.

Relationships go as such:
Y vs B :
Y vs R :
R vs B :

"Friendly" is the opposite of total war: the gangs will actually gladly help one another with large tasks.
"Peaceful" is a state where the two gangs are not considering fighting.
"Tense" is a state where fighting is close to breaking out.
"Skirmishing" is a fight scenario where there is little power used: such as a fistfight breaking out. Very rarely are people killed.
"Fighting" is a fight where people are likely to die, but will resolve after the fight to "tense".
"War" is a scenario where gangs are fighting and are unlikely to revert until one has suffered severe enough damage- this WILL hit news, and this IS something to avoid. At this point, schools become unsafe for gang members and they may be shut down temporarily at times.
"Total War" is irrecoverable: the two gangs are always at war. Schools will be closed, and riots will break out. Chaos starts to set in. Avoid this.

Your character starts with the inventory and abilities of a high school student plus a major and minor gang-related item and a gang dress item.

Reds will carry magic items with them- such as a ring, or pendant. The major item helps channel energy and without it the magics cast by the one without their item are much weaker, and the minor item is an item imbued with energies- giving it to an NPC, for instance, can protect them, etc.

The Reds are symbolized by their color, and this is often worn with some form of cloth band.

Yellows will carry a concealed weapon as their major (anything from brass knuckles to a pistol) and some sort of banned item or memento as a minor (such as a firecracker).

Yellows often wear yellow patches or scarves or anything around the shoulder area.

Blues will carry some kind of device (smartphone, tablet, gaming device) as a major and a storage or electronic device (USB drive, headphones) as a minor.

Blues have no set style- often, if they do decide to show up in color, they do it in a multitude of styles indistinguisable from normal people: jeans or a blue t-shirt, for example, or a jacket.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Interesting.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I'd play it
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Daaaamn, son! I'd play.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I'd play it, though the blues seem a bit underpowered, though they might be able to manipulate the administration.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

I'd play it, though the blues seem a bit underpowered, though they might be able to manipulate the administration.
I'd think that they'd use robots to do their work.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I'd think that they'd use robots to do their work.

Blues are not combatative, or, they aren't as much as you think they are. They have no real abilities in combat, but they can cause chaos- for instance, causing cell towers to drop calls cutting off gang communication.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Made a new rtd under the concept of being mages who just came into their power, in an alternate universe style Medieval England.  specifically while the inquisition and black death were popular.
Nom nom nom

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Made a new rtd under the concept of being mages who just came into their power, in an alternate universe style Medieval England.  specifically while the inquisition and black death were popular.

Uhh, the inquistition didn't really happen in England because England became Protestant because the King wanted to divorce his wife and the pope wouldn't let him.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile

Fun>historic accuracy

If you recall england never had real magic either
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How well do skill trees function in RTD's? and did the players enjoy it in any rtd where skill trees were present?

Cough, same question. Since it got swamped by 2 rtds.
Durrr..

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

How well do skill trees function in RTD's? and did the players enjoy it in any rtd where skill trees were present?

Cough, same question. Since it got swamped by 2 rtds.

Once again, will have to ask to elaborate. Bring up an example, please. Skill trees are kind of a broad concept, at least to me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Short answer? However you want them to work.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Well, yeah. Like any game mechanic, they could probably be made engaging with effort. Though a skill tree would also need an experience system of some kind to go with it.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

Well, yeah. Like any game mechanic, they could probably be made engaging with effort. Though a skill tree would also need an experience system of some kind to go with it.
However, I'd think that it might not go as well if it were all bonus-based, say, if one section were power-based skills, and you had various things, like One Handed, Two handed, etc., you might not want to say 'Okay, +1 bonus, +2 bonus, +3 bonus' and so on. Maybe make it perk based. Like, for two handed, you can do an attack that has a 50% chance of insta-kill by decapitation. One handed, you do a bit of a certain elemental damage alongside your normal attack.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 661