Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702363 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I did it, incidentally.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I felt like starting an RTD based on Moby Dick but I couldn't think up any ideas either.

Oh yes! So did I! And nor could I.
Well, I did think up one idea, which was to have random rants about whaling halfway through each turn, but other wise I couldn't think up how to do it.
There was this, but it kinda died. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123092.100
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Yeah I was in it :(

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Made a few changes to this- I'd spoiler it, but the forum doesn't deal with nested Spoilers very well.

Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: General Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GMWS (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virtues and Vices (click to show/hide)

Things to do: Actually map the Mansion (Observatory, Library, Kitchen, Dining Hall, Bedrooms... more stuff, look at a Clue board or something! Suggestions welcome) figure out pacing/flow of the game, and last but not least, PLOT.

Aside from the minor things, the big changes here are XP and Virtue/Vices. Basically, I was thinking of how to encourage the players to do things OTHER than investigate evil and barricade themselves in the kitchen- free RP is all well and good, but actual mechanics are better. It also avoids some of the QuickSandbox problem where players that can do anything don't know what to do, and so accomplish nothing.

As far as death/waitlisters, I think I'm going with "if anyone dies, the family loses" and we skip forward a year or five to the next family. Hopefully this will foster some teamwork :P

Any comments/suggestions? The only niggling issue is whether I should think of a skill tree for levelups, but I think I'll just make it up on the spot when needed.

I had some thoughts about this, and I think I'm going to go for it. I thiiiiink I'm going to move away from "extra skills" when leveling up happens, and more toward "AP/HP regen" though I'm not sure if that's enough motivation to get XP in more dangerous circumstances. Apart from general last-minute tweaking of skills, I think I also need to rework the Dad's Aggro Control thing, as I'm currently in favor of having the evil doomy doom be another player. Not to mention direct combat being a rather... inefficient way of fighting the evil, short of the climax. Dad needs some more role diversification.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile

Here's a basic idea for an arena RTD I just thought up. Any comments?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention last time monk, but the AP is an excellent idea and I wish I'd used it for my new rtd.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Hey, I've been working on the idea for a God RTD and I was wondering what you would think of it.

Have you ever wanted to be a God based on your forum personality? Now here is your chance.

Bay12ism, your chance to be a God, battle monsters, seduce women, or be a hero, a child of the gods.

3 big powerful gods chosen at random
7 major gods (including the big three)
any amount of minor gods and heroes.

Character sheet:
Name: (variation on your forum name)
God of: (What are you the god of? Should be relevant to your forum presence. Ex. GWG would be god of sanity)
Patron of: (what type of people pray to you for help? Hermes was god of messengers, thieves and merchants because they used the roads)
Animals: (what animals are sacred. Ex. Hera had peacocks)
Sacrifice: (how do you like sacrifices mad)
Origin: (how did you originate?)
Relationships (whose your wife? Your kids? Are you like zeus and seducing any girl you like, or like Hephaestus, who knows your wife is cheating on you?)

Once you have done that, the stories and myths can commence, starting with the creation of the world, of the people who worship you, and then focusing on each god. And rolling dice for stuff.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Hey, I've been working on the idea for a God RTD and I was wondering what you would think of it.
Certainly looks interesting. What would the difference (and point) between major and minor gods be? Would your traits have any direct in-game effect or mainly be cosmetic?

In unrelated news, what do you call it when you're considering a new game, and begin laughing uncontrollably imagining the part where the boss says the party knew it had to end this way?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Certainly looks interesting. What would the difference (and point) between major and minor gods be? Would your traits have any direct in-game effect or mainly be cosmetic?
Well the major gods would probably have powers over more powerful stuff than the minor gods and maybe would have a +1 bonus to actions, while the minor gods wouldn't. I'm mainly basing the game off Greek mythology, so traits would come into play as who would pray to you for protection, people you would help, animals that if someone killed would piss you off, stuff like that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

So, currently working on game. Posting it here so that it does make sense and isn't an overly complicated mess.

Spoiler: Short introduction (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Player characters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship building (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hulls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Modules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Edit: Accidentally deleted this once. Will edit in more stuff soon.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:41:31 pm by 10ebbor10 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Was gonna say, that's a very empty post :P  I like the conceit, though, and FTL made a spaceship RTD kick around in my head for a while, so I'm interested to see what pops up!

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This idea just popped up. I don't know if anyone did this already, but...

Have there been 2 RTD's, run in the same universe with interaction between the players of both RTD's?

If so, how did it work out or how would this work out?
Durrr..

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

We call it 'The Great Clusterfuck'.

It is not to be spoken of.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What dermonster is probably referring to was RTD Wars. Good concept, terrible management. It could've been something great...

I'm not gonna repeat my points for the umpteenth time, but rest assured it is by no means a doomed venture despite what some would say. Just whatever you do, make sure TolyK isn't in charge.*

*Okay, it's not fair anymore. I know you tried your best, man.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Was gonna say, that's a very empty post :P  I like the conceit, though, and FTL made a spaceship RTD kick around in my head for a while, so I'm interested to see what pops up!
Added a bit more. Still far from finished though.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 661