Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702411 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7305 on: November 15, 2013, 04:05:22 am »

That looks very good Draignean.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7306 on: November 15, 2013, 04:12:29 am »

-Awesome-
Fuck yes!
Already dibbing a spot in that game. Draignean, if you run it PM ME PLEASE.
I'm not sure you can do that. Or if you can do that I want that.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: November 15, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »

Why can I not stop thinking of concepts? WHY??!
Because the human mind never stops dreaming.

But it does get bored when writing rules. <This is why I have not made RTDs for quite a while, even though I kinda want to.

Actually, I dearly love writing rules.

If I made Small Mercies, it would be after D22. Hell, I'd probably blend the two ideas until it was set far forward in the timeline of the D22 universe.  I'd keep most of the same systems, but I'd edit a few things to translate better into VB/A or something else that I can program quickly. I'm honestly having a lot more fun with systems now that I can program complex procedures once, make a bunch of .dats for all parties involved, and press buttons for the rest of eternity.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: November 15, 2013, 01:00:22 pm »

I love writing rules as well. It's like programming but without any of the annoying parts.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: November 15, 2013, 01:08:54 pm »

I love writing rules as well. It's like programming but without any of the annoying parts.

Amen to that.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: November 15, 2013, 01:29:20 pm »

Why can I not stop thinking of concepts? WHY??!
Because the human mind never stops dreaming.

But it does get bored when writing rules. <This is why I have not made RTDs for quite a while, even though I kinda want to.

And that's why I do more simple games. Ones that require less rules, and more hilarity and rolling.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: November 15, 2013, 11:53:13 pm »

Look for my new game, "Viva Las Vegas", using the Draw to Dodge (fakeTM) system. See? It's meta. You're going to Vegas in the RtD, by drawing cards. 300 miles of grueling Arizona desert stand between you and that precious opportunity to lose every cent you ever saved.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7312 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:04 am »

Huehuehue.
how is the state of the boards nowadays? :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: November 16, 2013, 03:34:35 am »

100% Hale, Skyrunner :3

Now it only needs someone to refurbish the reception area and the directory.  :P

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: November 16, 2013, 08:55:09 pm »

I want to build a system using the Arcana cards from the Persona series rather than rolling.

Maybe have every character draw cards at random? The Minor Arcanas are like getting equipment, better with higher numbers ("faces" being an exception, explained later), and Major Arcana affect player skills?

Say, I chose to be a Swordsman. The three cards I get are Cup(6), Arcana 12(Hanged Man), and Sword(1).

My starting kit would differ in these ways: I'd have a very, very advanced group of items for healing/taking care of party members, I'd have an incredibly shitty weapon, and I'd have abilities relating to the Hanged Man: survivability, enduring hardship, etc.

Major Arcana can be flipped up or down if there's more than one in a draw. If there's three, the last is discarded and another card is drawn. A flipped-up arcana gives you it's powers normally, a flipped-down arcana is one that will give you "inverted" powers- not always good, but often with at least one benefit. There are exceptions- in the example above, if Hanged Man was upside down, I'd have a very hard time surviving, and any change could cause violent reaction (as the Hanged Man is about surviving change, self-insight, etc.) and it's inverse gives me weakness to status effects, but also empowers my rolls if I am afflicted.

---

As far as the minor arcana go, a (3) is about what's commonly available in towns. A (2) is a weapon that's weak or old, but not unuseable, a (1) is near breaking and near useless. A (4) might be something you could only find in a bazaar in a city, and a (5) is truly unique, above that is blessed. A Page item is one that appears to suck, but has hidden ability (this is not told to the player, it appears as a (2)). A Knight and Queen are great items (5)s, and a King appears to be a great item (11) but actually sucks.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:26 pm »

I want to build a system using the Arcana cards from the Persona series rather than rolling.

Not at all familiar with the Persona series, but those are Tarot cards you're talking about.  The Hanged Man =/= survivability, enduring hardship,etc.

I'm guessing that reference would make perfect sense to people who've seen the Persona series, but to me that's just a weird connotation for that card.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: November 16, 2013, 10:50:30 pm »

I should likely research the actual cards then.

---
Story ideas I have are yet-another-mecha-game, where parts are now much more, erm, varied, in that you can now have Joint parts.

Let's say you've got a heavy tank-tread build. You know you're going to be deployed in an aquatic enviroment- this would require different legs, and therefore, a whole different build. However, with a Joint Part, you can add a Joint Pontoon between the leg and core parts, allowing sea travel. You wouldn't be able to do this with a quadruped or biped, because of waterproofing issues, but your gun-tank is now amphibious.

---

Another is sort of a monster-breeder meets Spore, in that you become part of a Pokemon-esque world. You aren't actually raising existing Pokemon- you're going to be using various monsters and combining their traits. Most are personified in some way- they also have types (going to take it directly from Pokemon here, it's premade and comprehensive).

Breeding works as follows- two compatible monsters enter, one resulting monster leaves. Most of the time all you need to worry about is magnetism: +, -, or =.

A + and -, a + and =, and a - and = may be fused. Matching pairs may not mix.

Moves, types, and other abilities will be passed down, influenced by magnetism.
+s are considered dominant in physical traits, and -s are dominant in mental ones. =s are recessive in both cases.
A Slime(+) and a Galespirit(-) are fused. The result is a Bubble Slime(-).
The resulting magnetism matches that of one of the parents, therefore, that parent passes down any specific ability (in this case, "Insubstantial- phys attacks almost always fail". If it matched neither, the ability is created new.
The Slime involved was a +. Physiology was passed down- the resulting Slime is Water type, and is resistant to physical attack. ((Dosen't actually matter due to ability, but strengths/weaknesses not involving elements are passed down))
The Galespirit involved was a -. Skills and resistances are passed down- the Slime knows low-level Flying attacks, and is immune to Ground.
---

Another is sort of a amaglam of previous ideas- you're an average household mechanical device turned mini mecha! You're put on a team, and you've got to defend the living room/kitchen/house from the other team!

There are seven areas to the house, and four are given out at the start of the game, three are neutral. Sides fight for control- they must Build a Base on unclaimed land, and then until that base falls, it is theirs. When one team has 6/7, or has held 5/7 for ten turns or longer, they are the winners and a new house is generated.

Player skills are determined entirely by what they are. Say, I chose a 3DS. The 3DS transforms, gaining...
1. Advanced Scanning: Enemies in adjacent territories are scanned in 3D! All info is revealed after 3 scans.
2. Data Disk- RPG: This unit has a 1/6 chance to get a +2 to an attack with a weapon.
3. Stylus Sword: A weapon that cannot be dropped or lost, the Stylus Sword is the choice weapon for the 3DS. It retracts when not in use!

Players can absorb fallen enemies to gain their powers. Say, a Microwave defeated my 3DS, and it absorbed me. On top of it's heat-based attacks, it's time-delayed attack, and it's ability to "eat" opponents, it can now steal one of my abilities.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: November 16, 2013, 10:59:34 pm »

1: not much for mech games, but sounds cool for those who do.
2: Sounds totally awesome.
3: Reminds me of "The Brave Little Toaster" do want. I would be a vacuum cleaner.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: November 17, 2013, 12:08:25 am »

Oh, that scene in Transformers 2 (those modern movies, yah know?) where a stray hunk of... something... turns the protagonist's household appliances into bloodthirsty mindless killing machines? That's what I thought of.

So the actuality of the game would be somewhere between "brave little toaster" (I used to love that as a kid, can't remember split about it now) and "animated by evil energy".

I'd pick a WiiU. Bigger and stronger than a 3DS, though less nimble, with two parts for utility and exploration (plus wii remotes).
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: November 17, 2013, 12:24:24 am »

Out of curiosity, what do people think of a system that, instead of adding flat bonuses or penalties to dice (though you can add flat bonuses if you want), it instead increases or decreases the size of the dice while keeping all failures on a couple lower numbers and the rest be successes? In that way, nobody will ever run into a situation where you can never fail after a few modifiers, and the chances of success, while getting higher the larger the dice are, don't continue on a linear gain.

Here are some dice examples. You can set the number at which failure will always happen at whatever you want (if you don't know what would be a good number, try 5 or 10), and you can chose what is the base dice too. If you look at the "at most" in a bar chart it should show you what I said is true, in that nobody can ever get to a situation where they can never fail, and that the increase in dice size does not result in a linear increase in the chance of success, nor do they ever have truly no effect in increasing the chance of success.

If you're too lazy to look at the graph (some are I'm sure), here is a quick list of the chances of getting a failure, if we consider 10 or lower a failure (though it doesn't have to be 10! remember that!):
1d10: 100%
1d15: 66.67%
1d20: 50%
1d25: 40%
1d30: 33.33%
1d50: 20%
1d100: 10%

And if 5 was a failure:
1d10: 50%
1d15: 33.33%
1d20: 25%
1d25: 20%
1d30: 16.67%
1d50: 10%
1d100: 5%

Granted, it's still not perfect, and it's a bit of extra work for each roll if you have a system that adds more than just basic "success" to larger dice (partial successes, epic success, etc), but that's not needed and it potentially makes balancing things easier compared to most systems if you want the players to still be able to fail horrifically like you'd expect from an RTD, and not have a situation where nobody is ever in danger, or where the players increasing their skills have no notable effect, or where players increasing skills can result in incredibly high overshoots in systems that have overshoots instead of actually helping them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 661