Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702232 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

A lot of those spoilers look like things that could be stored in a post and edited when necessary. Or yes, kept offline entirely.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile

So, I came up with some sort of rtd concept-y thing and wrote out a crummy second-person-style-intro-thing to get an idea of how to write this thing. I may not follow through with this, and if I do, it's not likely to be soon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just wanted to see if you folks thought the idea has potential to be amusing/entertaining. Or if you guys think that my writing's terrible or something like that(I mean, looking at it, it does seem kinda bad). :v
I'll probably end up changing certain aspects of the intro and such, but eh, this is more or less an accurate description of the concept as it exists in my head.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

RUN IT. :I

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

So fellas, what is the prime suspect in killing the most games? Lack of GM interest? Lack of player interest? Or something else entirely?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So fellas, what is the prime suspect in killing the most games? Lack of GM interest? Lack of player interest? Or something else entirely?
1. GM burnout/interest/lostness.
2. Players somehow all dropping out maybe (1%)
Generally #1.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno about everyone else, but I tend to slow down on updates until I eventually just stop. I'd say lack of GM interest, probably.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile

In my experience, I gotta agree with the others that GMs losing interest tends to be among the main reasons.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Obviously lack of GM interest is the primary killer, since as long as the GM is willing to update, the game can be said to be alive in some fashion. Trouble is, GM interest is a very complicated thing; notably, player interest is a very strong component. Everyone hates killing a well-loved game, while nobody's fond of running a game nobody likes.

Other than that, there's a few common issues I'm aware of.

Momentum is pretty important, I've noticed- most obviously, hiatuses usually turn into deaths, while frequent updates tend to be fairly self-sustaining unless they're too ambitious. Players slacking off can sometimes kill a game, oddly enough, though this probably dips into lack of player interest.

Complexity is a very well-known one. The harder the game is to run, the more motivation the GM needs to do it. On the other hand, very simple games tend to be poor at grabbing the interest of those involved; minimalist stuff tends to die off pretty quickly.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, unless you want to count "the GM gets an idea for a different game" as distinct from lack of GM interest or momentum.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

Definitely COD on any report will be loss of GM interest, but I agree with Irony that GM interest is a complex beast. The more important question is what factors impact GM interest.

As for game complexity, there's a balance there. Simple games the GM will lose interest in because they are too simple to maintain interest; everybody wants to run a game that has some form of novel system that elegantly handles a bunch of different scenarios. On the other hand, too much complexity makes it impossible for the GM to maintain the game. It seems that the best systems are novel in some way without being bulky.

Another aspect is the goal of the GM. If the goal is to simply watch the players respond to situations and each other it can be easy for the GM to maintain interest. If they are trying to expound upon lore it can be easy to do a huge amount of writing at first and then lose interest. And if they're doing it because of a goofy quote its almost certain to die quickly.

Player interest, as Irony noted, definitely plays in hugely to GM interest. Slow posting of actions slows updates and causes the game to lose substantial momentum. Also, for me, feedback from players makes me feel like they are interested in the game continuing, so I like posting polls so I can feel like people are engaged.

Those are my thoughts, and an example of perhaps the number 1 reason GMs lose interest: they write too much on something people only need to read a sentence or two on.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obviously lack of GM interest is the primary killer, since as long as the GM is willing to update, the game can be said to be alive in some fashion. Trouble is, GM interest is a very complicated thing; notably, player interest is a very strong component. Everyone hates killing a well-loved game, while nobody's fond of running a game nobody likes.
Definitely COD on any report will be loss of GM interest, but I agree with Irony that GM interest is a complex beast. The more important question is what factors impact GM interest.
True on all accounts.

Like for example, if you wish to master your own game and have fun with it, you must master yourself before you can give fun to others.
One of the prime GM fears I see (and...primarily my fear) is that fear of players losing interest. How, you ask? The answer is subjective and given to the thoughts in the wind. Fears stop games. Among other factors, feedback also helps reinforce and sway the GM and the general idea of the game and how its being played.

So:
> Fear
> Lacking feedback
> Confidence
In which I still fear feedback :v

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

True on all accounts.

Like for example, if you wish to master your own game and have fun with it, you must master yourself before you can give fun to others.
One of the prime GM fears I see (and...primarily my fear) is that fear of players losing interest. How, you ask? The answer is subjective and given to the thoughts in the wind. Fears stop games. Among other factors, feedback also helps reinforce and sway the GM and the general idea of the game and how its being played.

So:
> Fear
> Lacking feedback
> Confidence
In which I still fear feedback :v
^ALL OF THIS^

Golly, I've dropped way too many games.
I feel so bad.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You put them on hiatus. Not dropped them. :P

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

You put them on hiatus. Not dropped them. :P
No, I've dropped a lot of games.
Even if you aren't counting the infinite hiatus ones.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I can relate.
It's gotten to the point that I don't really make RTDs any more, since my track record is so depressing. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

I hate that word. Hiatus. It sounds weird.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 661