Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702267 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

As long as you include the time critical pet resurrection item quest from that garden episode sure.

Noone kills my crocodile and gets away without being eaten by it.
Nobody kills my crocodile and doesn't become a crocodile-shaped meat golem as compensation.

I was thinking of incorporating a pet system of sorts into that SAO-styled RTD. Nothing concrete as of yet, but what do you think? I was thinking of something along the lines of starting with a partner, and having him level up with you, so that you fight alongside him. Much like you, if your pet dies, it doesn't come back. What do you think?
Interesting, but it presents a slight maiming issue.

Normally, if you die you die. That's bad, but it's a final sort of bad- in another sense, your problems are over.

If your pet dies, on the other hand, you lose a bunch of power but are still in the game. That's roughly equivalent to, say chopping off a player's limbs or removing some of their equipment slots. It's "better" than death in a way, but in some cases arguably worse because now you have to keep running with it. Depending on whether you can get replacement pets, of course, this discrepancy might be more or less severe.

Speaking of limb-chopping, this also gives players a tad more breathing room in theory, because if things get really bad they can sacrifice their pet to keep themselves alive. Due to the aforementioned concerns and a few other things, though, I suspect many players would refuse to do so.

On a different note, doubling the number of characters could also have unintended side effects. It gets more complicated, for one thing. It also tends to be harder to keep everyone alive, because single enemies are now relatively stronger versus each individual character. A 16-on-1 boss battle, for instance, pretty much needs to be either very AOE-heavy, very easy, or very prone to murdering people outright, because there just isn't a good way for his single-target damage to be both personally and collectively reasonable.

There are ways around this at least in theory, of course, but it can get tricky and even then tends to rely on complex calculations or very specific target numbers. Massive HP and some sort of free counterattack every time you attack or are attacked might work, but you have to double the number of rolling per round and still calculate out exactly how each fight goes with a given number of people doing a given amount of damage. Plus you stretch out power discrepancies because lower-power critters have to make increasingly bad trades in order to affect anything.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Quick idea!

Let's Be Reasonable Here: A Game of Greed and Expendability

The premise of this game is rather simple slightly more complex than previously surmised, so let's go through it quickly:
  • A treasure of unimaginable (or at least fairly ludicrously large, or uniquely important) value exists.
  • It was hidden many, many years ago by a group of three people, the owners, who are now either far past their glory days or perhaps even old and rather frail.
  • They have not recovered it in all that time for some reason that is unimportant at the moment, yet each of them remembers where it is.
  • Knowledge that the treasure even exists has surfaced only now - a grand total of three other people, the treasure hunters, recently found out about its existence. They do not know its location, but they'll be damned if they don't want it.
  • The three new people have decided to band together (or perhaps each of them works separately - either works), and have accumulated a certain amount of Resources, including guns, explosives, positions of power, loyal minions and other tools any good treasure hunter needs. Each of the treasure hunters has their own pool of Resource Points, which they use in the beginning to decide the exact nature of their resources.
  • With their Resources, the three treasure hunters have surprised and captured the three owners at the start of the game, and the three owners are at the mercy of their captors.
  • Naturally, the three owners are displeased. But they are not powerless! For while they are deprived of Resources, they are quite rich in Contingencies, plans made in the past to deal with exactly this sort of thing happening. Whether they be old traps, accessible assets or dangerous lies, knowledge of them and the ability to utilize them, as well as the classic advantage of being a stone cold bastard of some description, are all the owner's friend in this.
  • The main Contingencies are equally known to all three of the owners, and agreed upon at the start of the game, drawing from a limited, yet probably sizable pool of Contingency Points. Each individual owner may have put a few more additional Contingencies in place as time went by, and so they have a much smaller amount of points for any little tricks they may have added into the mix without telling the others.
  • The primary goal of the hunters is to get the treasure, and their secondary, altogether more optional goal, is to be the only one of the total group of six left to have it all to themselves.
  • The primary goal of the owners is to survive this ordeal - given that there is three of them and only one of them is strictly necessary to get past the Contingencies, this may prove mildly difficult if the hunters aren't patient types. Their secondary, more optional goal is the same as the primary and secondary goal of the hunters, with all of its implications.
And so three owners and three hunters would presumably engage in a battle of wits, conspiracy squaring off against intimidation.

Granted, this isn't necessarily an RTD, but it could work that way with the parts of the game taking place in the field.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

You know, I think I've figured out why any game I try to run grinds to a halt after a while. I always have to many people for one thing, for a other I'm too... Nice. I want my players to enjoy the game and I try and keep their characters alive to facilitate that. This causes a fuckton of stress as I try to write and rewrite the plotline to account for this. I think I'm gonna try to run one last game; either a story with three people only, chunky salsa, minimal stats if any stats at all or a minimalist 'Roll to X' game. If it goes well? Awesome. If not, then I'm hanging up the GM hat for good.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last time I checked, this isn't the anime thread.
Then you haven't played enough Roll to Kawaii Desu Neko Neko no Sempai yet.

* LordSlowpoke trembles

SOMEBODY DO THIS

I DAREN'T

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

So... got my random loot killfest up.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

I would probably include the ability to have more than one pet, assuming they're even included. I would probably make it something you can do later on in the game, though.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

SHNIP

Would play and/or have sex with this.

But I must ask, how is the game fair if the owners are just auto-captured at the beginning? Seems like the "resources" of the hunters become redundant, seeing as they LITERALLY HAVE THEM IN A ROOM FROM THE BEGINNING.

Way I see it you could either complexify this into the hunters actually have to erm....HUNT for the owners, or simplify it and get rid of resources/contingencies, just doing it as a RP bullshitting simulator.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:05:00 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Would play and/or have sex with this.

But I must ask, how is the game fair if the owners are just auto-captured at the beginning? Seems like the "resources" of the hunters become redundant, seeing as they LITERALLY HAVE THEM IN A ROOM FROM THE BEGINNING.

Way I see it you could either complexify this into the hunters actually have to erm....HUNT for the owners, or simplify it and get rid of resources/contingencies, just doing it as a RP bullshitting simulator.

The resources don't quite become redundant, as there will be traps, and the contingencies could be anything like burying the treasure five kilometers underground or setting up landmines around a certain area. And if the hunters try to go to a minefield themselves without equipment, well, there's only so many ways that can end for them. Besides, the owners can certainly escape if they play their cards right and the hunters slip up somehow - preventing harm to themselves during treasure seeking and keeping the owners captive are the two main uses of resources. Having to hunt for the owners in the beginning is also one way to make resources more relevant, obviously.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Roll to Lich

Set after an apocalypse, where the players are amongst the very few survivors due to their phylacteries. Everyone gets to customize their situation/immortality arrangement somewhat.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Roll to Lich

Set after an apocalypse, where the players are amongst the very few survivors due to their phylacteries. Everyone gets to customize their situation/immortality arrangement somewhat.
Isn't/wasn't there an RTD named Life After Death or something that was exactly this?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

I don't have time to run one, but is there a reason we haven't seen a Game of Thrones RtD?
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Roll to Iliad, where the players fight on the side of either the Acheans or the Trojans. At the very least, all the turn posts must be in dactylic hexameter, if not the players' action posts.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have time to run one, but is there a reason we haven't seen a Game of Thrones RtD?
It probably isn't generally suited to an RTD format, other than combat. The politics involved would probably make it better suit a normal forum game. My two cents I guess. I'm sure its doable and all though. I mean I guess it'd be kind of like trying to make a civilization game into an RTD, except that part of the time your own country members are the enemy.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Roll to Iliad, where the players fight on the side of either the Acheans or the Trojans. At the very least, all the turn posts must be in dactylic hexameter, if not the players' action posts.

There needs to be a separate, hidden thread in which the gods act; the players only see the results of that thread when the river gets up and attacks or forests spontaneously burst into flame or the like.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There needs to be a separate, hidden thread in which the gods act; the players only see the results of that thread when the river gets up and attacks or forests spontaneously burst into flame or the like.
And then we get to all the people with a deity parent who tries to bail them out :D
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 661