Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167057 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #900 on: June 07, 2011, 10:43:13 pm »

Will curses like those for vampires and were-creatures be able to put in subtle 'tells' on the affected creature when it isn't transformed? Such as hairy palms for werewolves, fangs and pasty skin for vampires, etc.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 07, 2011, 11:14:30 pm »

Would it be possible to create a were-beast that creates a permanent change to a dwarf (rather then just activating on the a full moon?)

Pretty sure.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 08, 2011, 12:33:41 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: IT000

How long (in real time) does the 'Full Moon' phase in Fortress mode last?

It lasts a little over two game-calendar days, whatever that comes out to in real time.

If the wiki is to be trusted that's ~2.4 minutes, is that really enough time to have some Fun?
He gave an account of an attack in the dev log. Check that out. It's long enough.

Also

Would it be possible to create a were-beast that creates a permanent change to a dwarf (rather then just activating on the a full moon?)
I don't know if it would be technically a werebeast, but creating something that worked like that would be pretty trivial to mod in, I'd think.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:24:24 am by Cruxador »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 08, 2011, 02:44:38 am »

Will villages get a rewrite too, or only towns?

Currently, villages houses doesn't even have a floor.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 08, 2011, 04:14:50 am »

Currently, villages houses doesn't even have a floor.
Ummm... well that's kind of accurate actually...
where is up?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 08, 2011, 04:20:01 am »

Yup. Trampled dirt floors is the way to go. At least for the poor. More well-to-do farmers would do well with an actual floor, I guess, if only to show the difference.
Love, scriver~

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 08, 2011, 05:25:27 am »

Yup. Trampled dirt floors is the way to go. At least for the poor. More well-to-do farmers would do well with an actual floor, I guess, if only to show the difference.

Yes, I guess you are right. Even though, I would like that the villages would get some love.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 08, 2011, 06:36:47 am »

I'm aware the following is a suggestion, but it's probably just a single line of code and a minute of work, so I'll just go for it:

Toady, you said that when a dwarf in the fortress mode turns into a werewolf and kills a fellow dwarf, he'll be marked as an enemy of the civilisation and killed - even if he changes back to dwarf form in the meantime. Now... how about instead of making him an enemy, making him a criminal and imprison him for murder? Leave it for the player to decide whether they want to execute the murderer (via the kill command... presuming it gets fixed).

I just can't get behind the idea of dwarves killing their friend dwarf just because he's cursed. When the dwarf changes back to his dwarf form, he's friendly and harmless - they can't just butcher him! Lycanthropy should be handled as a criminal act, not an act of war. The code for murder and imprisonment is already in the game but is only rarely used - why not use it here? The game gains a bit more variety and everyone wins!

I know it's not an ideal solution (ideally a werewolf in a wolf form would be an enemy, in dwarf form a criminal) but as a placeholder it just seems better that the other extreme (kill him!).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:40:03 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Desdichado

• Bay Watcher
  • The Anti-Zealot Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 08, 2011, 07:07:17 am »

When will item damage be revisited?

This was a missed development goal back in the Great Overhaul of 2010™, and it seems critical for an economy that items be not only produced but also consumed and worn out...
"I have a puppy instead", which while maintaining a polite tone, is quiet, calculating character assassination against Toady. Do some of you not see it as such, backstabbing?

At least spell my name right.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 08, 2011, 07:19:18 am »

When will item damage be revisited?

This was a missed development goal back in the Great Overhaul of 2010™, and it seems critical for an economy that items be not only produced but also consumed and worn out...

I thought the same thing. Imagine warehouses overcrowded with furnitures made in the dawn of time...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:37:26 am by thvaz »

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 08, 2011, 07:53:22 am »

Are we sure item damage/decay is not it? I mean in the world-gen?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 08, 2011, 08:17:11 am »

Are we sure item damage/decay is not it? I mean in the world-gen?

I don't recall Toady ever mentioning it. I recall, as Desdichado, that Toady wanted item damage in the DF2010 release but didn't have time.

edit:typo
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:36:42 am by thvaz »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 08, 2011, 08:18:23 am »

It does sound like worldgen decay is in in some fashion:

Quote from: Toady One, 12/8/2010
There are lots of goods moving around now. It has taken a lot of iterations to get it up to this point, since trade imbalances and over-production that grind the whole system to a halt are fairly easy to come by. The more industries that get tracked in world gen, the more everything moves freely, which is nice. We've had to manage lots of decay rates to keep goods from getting massively stockpiled when they shouldn't realistically be stockpiled.

I'm not sure if it does extend to furniture, but it seems possible.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:06 am »

Wow, my bad. No need for the question then.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #914 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:13 am »

I can't wait to build a fortress in the artic and export ice furniture, then go around to random towns and watch all the interior decorations melt. Still, that needs post-gameplay history to work.

Towns just sound so awesome.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 298