Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 841135 times)

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Götterdämmerung (Succession Game)
« Reply #2370 on: September 22, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »

If you can, I'd say do it. Make sure all the holes are plugged first though. (There are quite a lot of them.) Including holes to critical components like the aquifer channel leading to the new aqueduct (which in my save is functioning well so far) and the battery. And plug them with something more secure than microcline hatches.

The only people whose opinions really matter though are Ignatzami and AnimaRytak.

edit: And maybe leave access to the Temple open?

edit2: Water managed to reach the main reservoir in lower Deathgate on the 11th of Granite in my alternate reality save. It gets plugged up a little there by the pressure lock, but everything should be fine from that point forward.... well... if it gets to the canals fast enough.

edit3: I'm beginning to think that a giant flat reservoir room was a bad idea.

edit4: Even worse, the flow from the aquifer is not as strong as I expected. So now not only has the water's rate of expansion in the reservoir reached equilibrium with the rate of evaporation, the flow from up top has slowed to a trickle.

I wish I had tested this sooner. :/

It should be relatively easy to fix, if you are feeling up to it, though by the time it is fixed the lower canals will probably need brush clearing.

1) Turn off the flow from the aquifer. The southernmost lever on floor |95|, at hotkey F6, will do this. Doing this will allow water to fill up again in the well and first stage, pushing it further before running out of pressure.

2) Wall off most of the southern end of the reservoir room on floor |0| (just below the hospital, hotkey F5), so that inflowing water is forced west to the ramps along the far wall. Pave the soil along that route (there are hidden, forbidden stones already in the room).

3) As soon as that wall and paving is finished (put a door in it somewhere for maintenance, just be sure to forbid it when done), reopen the floodgates. Or let the water build up a little bit longer, up to you. The second option is probably best, and just means you'll almost certainly have to get the axes out before opening the floodgates.

Or, alternatively, try to increase the water flow. Or find a different means to getting water to lower deathgate after you've sealed the upper levels with magma.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:48:47 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2371 on: September 22, 2012, 11:42:34 pm »

It seems kinda a pity that Deathgate has endured so much just to have dwarfs die of thirst. On the flipside, we have managed to survive so long with no re-enforcement (the last wave was with kefkakrazy, and looking at previous turns, we only ever got a small handful of migrants due to civ being 95% dead).

Krosan was an elite before, the long standing heros bug caused him to revert to just Marksdwarf. I believe almost all our marksdwarfs are elite though (Great Marksdwarf or better).

This is by far though my favorite DF succession game, and not just because we were the first fort to successfully invade hell. Just watching us slowly approach our ends; it reminds me of weatherwires (which is another favorite fort of mine).

Also, I think candy is magma-safe, and we have 300+ wafers of the crap sitting around. Candy pumpstack anyone?
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: September 22, 2012, 11:49:21 pm »

Krosan was an elite before, the long standing heros bug caused him to revert to just Marksdwarf. I believe almost all our marksdwarfs are elite though (Great Marksdwarf or better).
Yeah, I think I actually got that notification several times.

-----

As to the aqueduct, the flow from the aquifer is not as strong as I expected. So now not only has the water's rate of expansion in the reservoir reached equilibrium with the rate of evaporation, the flow from up top has slowed to a trickle. [By the end of Granite it's almost entirely dry, even though the gates are still open.]

I wish I had tested this sooner. :/

It should be relatively easy to fix, if you are feeling up to it, though by the time it is fixed the lower canals will probably need brush clearing.

1) Turn off the flow from the aquifer. The southernmost lever on floor |95|, at hotkey F6, will do this. Doing this will allow water to fill up again in the well and first stage, pushing it further before running out of pressure.

2) Wall off most of the southern end of the reservoir room on floor |0| (just below the hospital, hotkey F5), so that inflowing water is forced west to the ramps along the far wall. Pave the soil along that route (there are hidden, forbidden stones already in the room).

3) As soon as that wall and paving is finished (put a door in it somewhere for maintenance, just be sure to forbid it when done), reopen the floodgates. Or let the water build up a little bit longer, up to you. The second option is probably best, and just means you should definitely  get the axes out before opening the floodgates.

Also, the flow to the wells is pressure locked, so it will not overflow once the water reaches those channels. We just have to get it that far, and remove any obstructions.

Or, alternatively, try to increase the water flow (it's low enough by the aquifer that you could probably build something there now). Or find a different means to getting water to lower deathgate after you've sealed the upper levels with magma.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:53:21 pm by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:53 am »

Deathgate will die either way. But this way will be much more Fun.

UNLEASH THE MAGMA!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: September 23, 2012, 01:40:15 am »

I've stopped playing for the moment, going to wait a day to get the general opinion on whether or not to being Operation Red Shield.  As for channeling water to lower Deathgate, I'm going to automate the entire process once I get the power generator running.  The Last Dwarves will live in comfort, at least.

My plan for my year is thus;

- Get the power working, even only partially if necessary
- Redesign wlerin's aqueduct into something self-maintained (again, sorry for the panicking, but it seemed a valid concern when I thought there was a massive rush of water slowly advancing)
- Undertake Operation Red Shield by flooding Upper Deathgate with magma from the pipe via pumpstack from several levels down to ensure a constant flow.

Nyalathoteps_Cousin

• Bay Watcher
  • I wish I'd spelled my name correctly...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: September 23, 2012, 02:17:48 am »

Apologies if I've missed something here, but why aren't we building a slab for this murderous phantom? I can understand no coffin, but a slab would do just fine.
Every time you post an update I am sad because the timer on when another update will be made is reset.

Goddamnit its like crack and I've been injecting it straight into my eyeballs.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #2376 on: September 23, 2012, 02:36:15 am »

Apologies if I've missed something here, but why aren't we building a slab for this murderous phantom? I can understand no coffin, but a slab would do just fine.

He's not slabbable due to the historic figure bug. It was fixed in 34.01 so DG2 won't have this issue but ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Nyalathoteps_Cousin

• Bay Watcher
  • I wish I'd spelled my name correctly...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: September 23, 2012, 02:44:33 am »

He's not slabbable due to the historic figure bug. It was fixed in 34.01 so DG2 won't have this issue but ...

Ah, I didn't know this. Thanks for the quick reply!
Every time you post an update I am sad because the timer on when another update will be made is reset.

Goddamnit its like crack and I've been injecting it straight into my eyeballs.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: September 23, 2012, 03:22:29 am »

Ah, I didn't know this. Thanks for the quick reply!
Also, he's providing a fixed timer for Deathgate's doom, since he attacks once per season.

TAD: As to your panicking, eh. From what I've seen it wouldn't have worked anyway. Might as well stop it up and redesign it. You should be able to reuse that channel though, as the roads and ramps should prevent any growth.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:28:18 am by wlerin »

The Mad Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: September 23, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »

@wlerin: I like all the Yeats references :)
The closest thing we have to what some call 'allies' gets slaughtered in front of our gates. Unfortunately they don't transform into mindless beasts, trying to kill us.
Today is a sad day.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: September 23, 2012, 05:32:26 pm »

RELEASE THE MAGMA! FLOOD THE SURFACE! FINISH MY NOBLE WORK AND SEAL THE CHOSEN OF ARMOK FROM THE UNCLEAN SUN-DWELLERS!

Also I thought my farms were producing enough plump helmets to make booze with?

They're in an old aqueduct tunnel, but they should serve to keep 40 dwarves plastered for a while. They're all set up and everything.

Did we run out of seeds, or did someone destroy them? If they were running full tilt we shouldn't have any healthy dwarves dying of thirst.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: September 23, 2012, 07:36:07 pm »

Release the meteor magma! Destroy all that is not Dwarven!
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: September 23, 2012, 08:40:39 pm »

So far as I'm concerned, you should flood not only Upper Deathgate but everything on the surface with magma. Magma pools everywhere you can get them, leaving the Temple of Armok to stick out of the flows...

heeeeee.

Operation Red Shield receives another upvote over here.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: September 23, 2012, 09:34:18 pm »

Well, based on current opinions...

Operation Red Shield is now under way!

Now, lets see how long it'll take to get magma-safe screwpumps made...
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 175