Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261059 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #8985 on: September 23, 2012, 12:38:09 am »

So, remember how I asked about how to keep the corruption and hallow away from my base, and make the base hardmode-proof? Well, I took your suggestions. Dug a couple of nice wide pits all the way down to hell on either side of the base. Used unchangeable blocks as a new "floor" so I wouldn't fall all the way down by accident. Rebuilt the outer wall of the base with a three-block-thick layer of dungeon brick. Added trapped entrances with plenty of pressure plates, dart traps, and wire.

Went down to the underworld, killed the WoF without undue difficulty thanks to all the buffs I brought with me. I Magic Mirror my way back up...

Corruption literally right outside my door. The new zone decided "fuck your hours of preparation" and spawned inside my perimeter. I had been back less than 10 seconds when one of the corrupt hardmode worms went tearing through my base, killing an NPC, and followed by wraiths. Werewolves are beating at my door and taking virtually no damage from the traps, and purification powder can never change it all in time. I have never hated this game before, but right now I sure do  >:(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: September 23, 2012, 01:01:06 am »

Welcome to Corneria Terraria!

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: September 23, 2012, 05:52:03 am »

So, remember how I asked about how to keep the corruption and hallow away from my base, and make the base hardmode-proof? Well, I took your suggestions. Dug a couple of nice wide pits all the way down to hell on either side of the base. Used unchangeable blocks as a new "floor" so I wouldn't fall all the way down by accident. Rebuilt the outer wall of the base with a three-block-thick layer of dungeon brick. Added trapped entrances with plenty of pressure plates, dart traps, and wire.

Went down to the underworld, killed the WoF without undue difficulty thanks to all the buffs I brought with me. I Magic Mirror my way back up...

Corruption literally right outside my door. The new zone decided "fuck your hours of preparation" and spawned inside my perimeter. I had been back less than 10 seconds when one of the corrupt hardmode worms went tearing through my base, killing an NPC, and followed by wraiths. Werewolves are beating at my door and taking virtually no damage from the traps, and purification powder can never change it all in time. I have never hated this game before, but right now I sure do  >:(

Well, IIRC the corruption thing spawns around the world in either an X or V pattern, so let's just say that the middle part is the most dangerous part after the wall gets killed.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: September 23, 2012, 05:22:40 pm »

I thought this game got abandoned.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: September 23, 2012, 05:25:22 pm »

I thought this game got abandoned.

More or less. Hard mode kinda screws it over TBH.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: September 23, 2012, 06:11:50 pm »

Hard mode kinda screws it over

Truer words have not been spoken.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8991 on: September 24, 2012, 12:48:10 am »

I honestly enjoy hardmode but it hasa lot to do with what you view it as. Is it a building game with combat on the side or is it a platformer with building on the side?

I can certainly see how the former would have a problem with hardmode, as it does make building stuff outside much much harder, and doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of building materials.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: September 24, 2012, 01:57:12 pm »

You pretty much nailed it. I enjoyed building, and the combat as a means to get more building stuff. I intentionally did not spoiler myself about hardmode, so activating it basically destroyed my entire sprawling setup and made expansions to my base pointlessly annoying. Had there been a disclaimer from the start about it, I could have just made an adventure world and kept my normal setup as it was.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: September 24, 2012, 04:00:56 pm »

You pretty much nailed it. I enjoyed building, and the combat as a means to get more building stuff. I intentionally did not spoiler myself about hardmode, so activating it basically destroyed my entire sprawling setup and made expansions to my base pointlessly annoying. Had there been a disclaimer from the start about it, I could have just made an adventure world and kept my normal setup as it was.
So roll back to the copy of the savegame you made before you entered hardmode.  (You did make one, right?  Right?)

Or restore an older version from your most recent backup.  (You do make backups, right?  Right?)

Or find a mod that will let you toggle the flag.  TShock, from memory, but that's for servers.  I expect there's one for singleplayer.  It won't get rid of the hallow/corruption, but it will stop the spread and spawn.

Actually, here.  http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/released-tma-add-world-features.71843/#post-1364464  Can turn off hardmode and can convert hardmode tiles to normal tiles.  Two minutes on Google.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: September 24, 2012, 04:22:58 pm »

Real men don't savescum.

I played it through anyway, and I did have fun, but hardmode basically put a time limit on the game for me, because once I'd finished exploring, there was no sensible building element to go back to. That's the only point I was trying to make. I still enjoyed it, just wish it had been implemented differently.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: September 24, 2012, 04:50:27 pm »

Hardmode... mostly it just meant I had to start building down, for me. Even more underground than I normally did. Which made things a bit more difficult, yes, but interesting in its own way. The mechanical aspects of fortifying a base... changed, heh. But it was still fairly doable.

Definitely do wish the building aspect itself had been a bit more fluid. I would have loved to just designate an area and tell my worker NPC to go forth and backwall. And dig out, and put walls, and put lights, and... the point gets across. Building could have been less fiddly. Wider brush, ferex :P Especially for that bloody back wall. So time consuming >_<

Anyway. Kinda' feel like firing up terraria again, now :-\ It does take a while to get to hardmode stuff, though... and I've got other games to play, and stuff to do, etc., etc., etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: September 24, 2012, 05:01:08 pm »

I enjoyed hardmode.  For me it was about the building and adventuring at the same time.  I loved endurance spelunking -- seeing how far I could dive into the earth and pull off crazy survival tactics before something would finally trap and kill me.  I normally wouldn't care about building.  Minecraft bores me.  However, building while things are trying to kill me is much more interesting.

Basically, it's all about the constant improvised problem solving.  You have a project you want to do, but you have to overcome random obstacles the game throws at you in the process.  I enjoy Dwarf Fortress for exactly the same reason.  If it were just an adventure platformer or just a building game, I wouldn't enjoy it at all.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: September 25, 2012, 01:00:14 am »

Did not make any backups of my world. I guess I was so confident in my "precautions" and enjoying my personal narrative so much I didn't think about it  :-\

I'll have to check out that hardmode toggle though. I'm not fond of cheating, but I put far too much effort and resources into my base to abandon it. I'd offer screenshots if I didn't have worms burrowing through and a small army of werewolves trying to break in  :-\

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #8998 on: September 26, 2012, 03:14:41 am »

If it were just an adventure platformer or just a building game, I wouldn't enjoy it at all.
Interesting, this sums up very nicely how I, too, feel about Terraria. I have all the respect for people building massive projects in it, but would not have the patience to do so. I usually build out of necessity - NPC rooms, storage and working area, safe spawn point; but at the same time, I try to make this "necessity" visually attractive. I decide "here I will have castle with all my stuff, I'll make it big, I'll have rooms here, here and here". Then I come up with stuff as I play, putting blocks, furniture and lights here and there to make it look good.

Things change a bit when you play MP, as I figured. It feels different when there are suddenly other people building, improving, changing terrain everywhere and there's a different house every few blocks away. That's probably why I never cared to bother with Minecraft after my first 1h of solo play - to boring.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: September 26, 2012, 03:35:07 am »

Actually, here.  http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/released-tma-add-world-features.71843/#post-1364464  Can turn off hardmode and can convert hardmode tiles to normal tiles.  Two minutes on Google.
I tried this, and TehModAPI which it apparently requires. For some obscure reason, I can only use certain characters and worlds, which does not include the world I actually need to edit.

Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 887