Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261044 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #9855 on: October 03, 2013, 02:45:42 pm »

But he's not doing his own thing? Eh.... I didn't see anything really *new* in there, just the stuff that Starbound has added that Terraria promised but never delivered. Other worlds and blah blah... along with a ton of "Nope, no idea!"

*shrug*

I wonder if 1.2 and later would have happened if someone else hadn't come along and iterated on his idea.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: October 03, 2013, 02:56:22 pm »

I find this drawing of battle lines between Starbound and Terraria silly, to say the least. Why does anyone care? Red stepped off his pedestal a long time ago, why are people in such a hurry to put Tiy or w/e on one? Without the source code of Terraria, there wouldn't even be a Starbound.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:10:46 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: October 03, 2013, 02:59:58 pm »

I wonder if 1.2 and later would have happened if someone else hadn't come along and iterated on his idea.

Some people can be driven by their dreams. Others require an adversary.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: October 03, 2013, 03:32:14 pm »

I find this drawing of battle lines between Starbound and Terraria silly, to say the least. Why does anyone care? Red stepped off his pedestal a long time ago, why are people in such a hurry to put Tiy or w/e on one? Without the source code of Terraria, there wouldn't even be a Starbound.
Naah, it's not like that. At least in my book. Terraria was great, and Starbound looks to be even better, in a different way, focusing more on construction and exploration than on the 2D platforming RPG aspect (at least relatively). Terraria 2, though? Excuse me for being cynical, but the thing looks like a cynical attempt to cash in once he realized that people would buy another game of the same type. I'm not exactly impressed to see this come to light only after 1) promises to deliver a lot of what Starbound is promising fell through for Terraria, 2) Terraria development was apparently all but abandoned once the sales dried up, and 3) suddenly Terraria 2 is announced after the Starbound preorders show that there's an audience... promising essentially Terraria+ the stuff that... Starbound is adding anyway.

Eh, I'll wait and see, but the circumstances don't make me think that Terraria 2 will be as good as Starbound at what they're both trying to do, or nearly as interesting as Terraria was. Maybe it'll be good, maybe I'll buy it, but I'm sure as hell not getting a ticket for the Terraria 2 hype train.

E: Going to mess around in SP a bit, but I think I might start setting up a teleporter network on the server.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:43:01 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: October 03, 2013, 03:56:10 pm »

So, has this weird new blood biome replaced the Corruption? I just spawned a large world and explored it with my old hardmode character, and...lots of blood, no Corruption at all that I can see. I hope it hasn't been replaced, I liked the land of purple and creepy monsters and thorns :[
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: October 03, 2013, 04:04:50 pm »

So, has this weird new blood biome replaced the Corruption? I just spawned a large world and explored it with my old hardmode character, and...lots of blood, no Corruption at all that I can see. I hope it hasn't been replaced, I liked the land of purple and creepy monsters and thorns :[
Its the alternative version of the Corruption.
All ores/bars/armors/weapons also have alternate versions.
Spawn a new world and you might get a different result.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:11:44 pm by Ultimuh »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: October 03, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »

Wait, really?

That's kinda awesome...but it also means I'll need more than one world to see everything :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: October 03, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »

Wait, really?

That's kinda awesome...but it also means I'll need more than one world to see everything :P
Yeah, and you may have to make a few. I genned up a second world, still Crimson. Kinda wish there was a toggle or it alternated or something.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: October 03, 2013, 04:36:24 pm »

Wait, really?

Kinda wish there was a toggle or it alternated or something.
Maybe if the guy is bugged about it enough, he might add it in a future minor update? :p

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: October 03, 2013, 04:36:57 pm »

In other news, teleporters are awesome.  Sold by the Steampunker, you can connect them by wires (so maximum 1,000 distance) and when you flick a switch you pop from one to the other.

Since it's 3 wide, you can have 2 wires that touch on either edge but don't cross on the center, allowing the left side and the right side of the teleporter to link to different destinations, allowing you to chain them left-right to different way-stations for quick transit.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: October 03, 2013, 04:42:01 pm »

In other news, teleporters are awesome.  Sold by the Steampunker, you can connect them by wires (so maximum 1,000 distance) and when you flick a switch you pop from one to the other.

Since it's 3 wide, you can have 2 wires that touch on either edge but don't cross on the center, allowing the left side and the right side of the teleporter to link to different destinations, allowing you to chain them left-right to different way-stations for quick transit.

Time to build otherwise unreachable spaceships!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: October 03, 2013, 04:55:56 pm »

Also makes doors without doors possible.

Protect your NPCs with magic technology!
Actually, it's vice versa.
"Protect yourself from The Guide with technology!"
The guide isn't that bad, he actually gives helpful crafting advice.
And perfectly expendable to summon the WoF.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: October 03, 2013, 06:01:50 pm »

Kagu's server has all alternatives save for orichalc. IT's a shame really.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: October 03, 2013, 06:37:48 pm »

Terraria 2, though? Excuse me for being cynical, but the thing looks like a cynical attempt to cash in once he realized that people would buy another game of the same type. I'm not exactly impressed to see this come to light only after 1) promises to deliver a lot of what Starbound is promising fell through for Terraria, 2) Terraria development was apparently all but abandoned once the sales dried up, and 3) suddenly Terraria 2 is announced after the Starbound preorders show that there's an audience... promising essentially Terraria+ the stuff that... Starbound is adding anyway.

It's interesting, having been a big critic of how Redigit has handled things, to find myself defending him. But I think he's presented some very straight forward reasons for a sequel. The game is limited by the original code. There's clearly a market not just for games with the blocks, but Terraria 2.

I think it comes down to the original game code. It's been described as spaghetti code by many, even though the game has always run and presented very tightly for me. Maybe not all of the original code is truly "his." Maybe it's code written by various people that helped along the way, or maybe back before the game even had a name, he ganked something.

Red's an interesting character in that I find him hard to pin down. At times he seems like what I'd consider your average indie developer. Other times, he's seemed kind of shady. I don't disagree that there's plenty of room for skepticism about his motives (maybe even his methods.) I just don't share it in this regard because....put yourself in his shoes. He might make as much as another million off the 1.2 update. He's still rolling in cash from before. He has all the time, luxury and resources to think big. What would you do in his position? Keep plunking away at Terraria, ala Toady One style? There's merit in that. He could easily make money doing it, because his updates always generate new sales due to how much content he puts in them. There's also the warm, fuzzy, Dwarf-Fortress inspired ideal of a developer living their game for the rest of their lives.

But realisitically, he's doing what lots of successful indie developers do. McMillen and Binding of Isaac? Sequel. Hotline Miami? Sequel. Notch? All sorts of shit that's got nothing to do with Minecraft.

This is the thing with outrageous indie commercial successes: they have a chance to grow beyond what made them successful. And to me that's kind of their right.

I probably feel this way because I long ago wrote off loyalty to Terraria as a product, because of how little I appreciated his abrupt change of plans. But he's continued to do a square by all the people who bought the game by not charging a dime, and doing things simply to keep them happy. He could have never done the 1.1 update and be an extra year into Terraria 2.

So yeah. I think the guy deserves a break, or at least, the presumption of nobler intentions than the cynical money grubbing that's being attributed to him.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:43:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: October 03, 2013, 06:43:15 pm »

Eh, I can see that perspective, nenjin, but I'm not going to accept it blindly and assume that he's an alright guy who's just trying to get along as a dev. Hence why I'm essentially going hands-off on Terraria 2 until we have a product. I'll reserve my judgement for then, this is just a small expression of my reservation about Red. If he delivers, great! If not, I won't be entirely surprised. Hell, I don't particularly have an issue with him if he is just doing it for the money, because that's a perfectly understandable motive. But I'm inclined to suspect that he might not entirely understand how to ride the horse he's on, so he's just hanging on and hoping to ride it out in a way that falls together well.

:|
____
For anyone on forsaken's server: I've got a Heat Ray, a Possessed Hatchet, and a Picksaw up for trade. I'll exchange any of them for a piece of Spectre armor (that I don't have yet) or for a dungeon key on a 1:1 basis. I'll also buy the dungeon keys for 2 plat each.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 887