Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261116 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10440 on: October 10, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »

That's not quite how magic works.

That's how they decided magic works when they changed the rocket boots. Some magic items just plain don't require magic!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10441 on: October 10, 2013, 12:34:04 pm »

I do wonder if I should cheat to get a few solar Eclipse.

I just got a blood moon, solar eclipse, and then another blood moon... followed by yet another blood moon the next night.

I'm kinda tired of solar events now.

I'm still pre-hardmode, and 5 of the last 8 nights have been Blood Moons. On the plus side, my Deathweed farm has been very productive, and I finally found my first Black Lens!

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10442 on: October 10, 2013, 12:56:12 pm »

I am jealous of your Solar Eclipse.. ;-;
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10443 on: October 10, 2013, 01:00:00 pm »

I made a hardcore character in a small world that had crimson. I finally got ready to fight the Brain (Ready meaning cactus armor and gold sword/bow), and of course that night was a bloodmoon. I have a new hardcore character.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #10444 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:15 pm »

From the page you linked:

... requires a reload ...

Lava is difficult to get rid of.
... obsidian ...
... sand (or silt) ...
... Dirt Rod ...

... Dirt Rod is probably the easiest and quickest, due to the bug detailed on the Dirt Rod page.

Yeah, I read that.  Skimmed it anyway.  I guess I should have said.

I knew about the reloading.

Obsidian wont work in hell, of course.

Sand is slow, boring, and will be destroyed if re-mined with explosives, if the loose bricks happen to hit a lava pocket.

Dirt Rod easiest?  I just tested, it would be incredibly fiddly and slow.  I must not understand the mechanics or the bug.  I don't see how any of of the four listed Dirt Rod bugs can help.

Dammit anyway.  Damn this liquid model.  It's good in concept, but the implementation... why didn't they use fixed point math?

Why do pumps exist anyway?  Just make a 'liquid generator' machine if that's all they're gonna do.

Are there any world editors for 1.2 yet?  Any that will blot out lava en masse?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10445 on: October 10, 2013, 01:41:33 pm »

TEdit works, some blocks are purple but it'll suffice.

Sand and honey.  Don't TNT the sand, and honey doesn't evaporate.

I've also not seen any liquid evaporating anywhere.  People talk about it, but I've never seen anything in hell acting different.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10446 on: October 10, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »

Water can and will accumulate in hell under certain circumstances, but if it gets "updated" in any way (say, taking a bucketload out of it or pouring one in), it will rapidly begin to disappear.

Honey, however, does not appear to care about the extreme heat.

And yeah, pumps are...  Bizarre.  I used them one time to try and drain an area I was making into a kind of underwater haven, and wound up with far more water than I was expecting or had started with.  I forget what exactly it was that I did to try and remedy the situation...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10447 on: October 10, 2013, 02:01:36 pm »

Pumps generate water just like the bucket exploit does.

It's the very basic principle on how my liquids generator works.

In Terraria, if you empty a tile of liquid on anything, as it falls it splits into separate tiles. The first set of splitting seems to be safeguarded to not be considered "a new block of liquid" but the second set will be. So this means if you want to generate infinite of a liquid, you must create a system to recollect the liquid after allowing it to split twice. Pumps do this automatically simply because of probability and volume. The bucket technique works simply because all liquids don't split fast enough to make the initial source "unbucketable" before you collect it.

A simple test is to make a flight of stairs like so:

_
 _
  _

Stand on the top and empty a bucket of water on the top flight. Then just rapidly collect and empty that water on that top flight as fast as you can. You will generate infinite water.

Liquid generating pumps operate on the same principle.

Observe:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-----------

This is common knowledge for anyone who has ever wanted to complete a world ending project of some sort. With a simple machine as such, you can flood entire worlds with honey if you wanted to.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10448 on: October 10, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »

About as easy as lava.  Lava + water = obsidian.  Only difference is that honey loves you and makes you move soooooooo sloooooooowly.

Also, disregard what I said earlier about having to kill Plantera again to get the biome spread to slow back down after the update.  It doesn't slow back down.  Just carve out the piece you want saved and clentaminate the thing, otherwise it's all going to go to shit at the usual rate.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10449 on: October 10, 2013, 03:27:44 pm »

Anyone know if lava can still form a thin layer on wooden platforms? I want to make a gel farm but I'm not sure if that's been updated.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10450 on: October 10, 2013, 04:51:30 pm »

Anyone know if lava can still form a thin layer on wooden platforms? I want to make a gel farm but I'm not sure if that's been updated.

Water goes through platforms.

I cannot find a Plantera bulb. I even made a helivator through jungle and found three hives. Still no bulb. I use an adamantine spear and frost armor to light up areas outside my normal vision.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:53:45 pm by BigD145 »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10451 on: October 10, 2013, 05:02:53 pm »

I cannot find a Plantera bulb. I even made a helivator through jungle and found three hives. Still no bulb. I use an adamantine spear and frost armor to light up areas outside my normal vision.

Have you killed one of the other hard mode bosses first in the world? More specifically you need to have defeated The Destroyer or Skeletron Prime or The Twins.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10452 on: October 10, 2013, 05:03:32 pm »

Destroyer and Twins dead.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10453 on: October 10, 2013, 05:09:42 pm »

Also, plantera bulbs glow in the dark.  So don't worry about trying to light everything up all the time.
Nom nom nom

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10454 on: October 10, 2013, 05:14:37 pm »

Then you need to keep digging. Afaik a Plantera Pod should be generated when you meet the requirements so it's there somewhere. It can be hard to see as it is fairly small but it's not something you need to generate a new world for or anything.
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 [697] 698 699 ... 887