Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 724 725 [726] 727 728 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1260978 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #10875 on: October 20, 2013, 04:37:03 am »

What kind of options are there for underwater lighting?

Glowsticks

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10876 on: October 20, 2013, 04:53:02 am »

Mana potions seem almost entirely useless now...  Once you max out your mana and start getting the damage and mana discount buffs from hardmode equipment (or even just the gem robes now, which are pretty neat), I never seem to have mana issues unless I'm expressly trying to drain my pool (even then, it takes a bit of doing).

And if you are going to use them, just build a mana flower and don't worry about hitting the button anyways...  Oh, and the mana discount from nature's gift and a mana flower stack, last I checked.

Mana potions are better if you use rejuvenation potions I guess.

But rejuvenation potions trigger the potion sickness timer like any other healing item.  Once you hit hardmode, greater healing potions are the way to go.

What kind of options are there for underwater lighting?

Depends.  If you want lighting fixtures, you can use chinese lanterns, stars-in-bottles, cursed/ichor torches, and I think a number of other placed items (don't recall if lightpoles work underwater, but furnaces and campfires should work).

If you want dynamic lighting, you can either use glowsticks like Neo said, or cursed/ichor torches, or even the new jellyfish necklace accessory (which is made specifically for that purpose).

Outside of that, you have the general multpurpose buffs like shadow orb/pixie/wisp and the shine potion.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10877 on: October 20, 2013, 05:16:50 am »

And the flaregun. Don't forget the flaregun.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10878 on: October 20, 2013, 05:19:05 am »

One of the best things is that since I play as a mage, woop de doop spectre armour and I rarely ever need to even use the stock of hardmode potions that tends to build up if you fight a lot of bosses.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10879 on: October 20, 2013, 05:21:07 am »

For some bizarre reason, I kept thinking that B was for "Base" so I'd hit it to auto-use my Magic Mirror, when in reality it stands for "auto-Buff" and I'd wind up drinking one of every single potion in my inventory. So I'd want to return home, and I'd wind up shining, invisible, water walking, reverse water breathing, lava immune, attracting more monsters, better night vision, seeing minerals glow, seeing enemies glow, +8 defense, +20% ranged damage, controlling gravity, and using ichor for my melee attacks, all in one mistaken button press.

I've done this atleast 3 times, I don't know why.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:24:59 am by JoshuaFH »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #10880 on: October 20, 2013, 05:53:46 am »

I've found the health hotkey to be useless, since it seems to prioritize using the weakest healing item.
'Oh, you're fighting Skeletron Prime and the Twins and are at 3hp? BETTER EAT A GOLDFISH THEN!!'
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10881 on: October 20, 2013, 05:55:33 am »

It, like all autoselect functions, prioritizes by inventory position. Something higher and to the left of something else will be preferred.

This works with tools, potions, ammo, torches, anything.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #10882 on: October 20, 2013, 06:12:20 am »

Ahh, most convenient then. Thanks for the info.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10883 on: October 20, 2013, 07:20:23 am »

Really? It always seemed to eat the item with the least +hp for me as well.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10884 on: October 20, 2013, 07:47:49 am »

Really? It always seemed to eat the item with the least +hp for me as well.
That's because if you're anything like me, you're keeping your potions on the bottom of the inventory, for ease of access. Anything you might have picked up, then, takes priority, as it ends up closer to the beginning of the inventory. One way to avoid this is to keep the potion you want on the hotbar and make sure that you don't pick up anything else that might end up in an earlier slot.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #10885 on: October 20, 2013, 11:25:07 am »

I always position my potions in the second row, to the very left, but with the shadow/light orb/fairy bell/spirit in the most left spot. Inventory fills from the bottom up, with the exception of a not completely filled tool bar.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10886 on: October 20, 2013, 12:07:46 pm »

Anyone else taken apart the jungle temple for traps yet?
Spiky Ball Traps are amazing. I set up about a dozen of them on the floor of my to-be floating castle and jammed a switch.

Everything below me just... died.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10887 on: October 20, 2013, 12:15:40 pm »

Anyone else taken apart the jungle temple for traps yet?
Spiky Ball Traps are amazing. I set up about a dozen of them on the floor of my to-be floating castle and jammed a switch.

Everything below me just... died.

I was thinking of taking all the traps I find and fitting them into my boss arena, but I'm not sure if bosses are hurt by traps, and if they are, what the best configuration for them would be in my arena so they're hitting the boss are much as possible, without hitting me at all.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10888 on: October 20, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »

They definitely are. Spiky ball traps and arrow traps at the very least, probably most of the rest, too.

I'unno if it's a thing in SP, but in MP if you put spike traps high enough up, and trigger them from an (extensive) distance, the spike balls will only register to enemies. As far as players are concerned, they're not even there. Can do some work on large enemies or invasions, heh.

Also one of the more ridiculously overengineered (and deadly) ways of cutting grass over a wide area >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10889 on: October 20, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »

WHAT
YOU CAN PLACE