Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263101 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #660 on: July 01, 2011, 03:54:34 am »

Molotovs. Take the Fast movement + Parkour traits. Make yourself a wooden spear or Nail Board and use that. Crossbows for single zombies.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 01, 2011, 04:04:02 am »

I'm starting to think there's something more than sound that makes zombies pop up, I just got mauled by a legion of undead around 11 AM and I hadn't made any noise at all, though the fault of my death was trying to install some bionics and failing, causing heavy/severe pain and slowing me down. (I realize there's scent and vision as well, but these hoards just pop out of nowhere.)

It's like just being hurt causes your scent radius to explode, resulting in mass amounts of zombies.

Also, my molotov went out, why would that remove the item from my inventory entirely?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 01, 2011, 04:05:59 am »

I believe Whales said that the respawn rate is determined by a clock. You could be completely quite but the clock will still go down, but just alot slower. If you make alot of noise then the clock will go down really fast.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 01, 2011, 04:07:45 am »

If that's the case, then the clock is definitely too damn short, especially for the very start of the game.

Molotovs. Take the Fast movement + Parkour traits. Make yourself a wooden spear or Nail Board and use that. Crossbows for single zombies.

I guess that's kinda the point I want to make.  For a game about "survive the zombies", it shouldn't be impossible to survive one day as a non-combat or running optimized character with good firearms.  Kinda makes it pointless to be anything but.  I know roguelikes are supposed to be as much about luck as skill, but it seems like having any chance at living more than an hour or so is totally arbitrary.

Zombies are easy prey, so are Necromancers. Boomers too. Hulks and such eventually go down. Fast zombies should be targeted first as they are pretty much the only ones that can catch up to you, but don't worry as they die with one shot from a rifle often. Skeletons are very hard to hit with bullets, so use disposable ammo or melee on them. Other zombies like shocking ones should be shot at as soon as you see them (press F and then the > or < keys to cycle, even if they're off-screen), as they can shoot as far as you can!

I'm not sure you caught the part where I mentioned being attacked by a half-dozen things at once, from multiple directions.  Or the part about how I'd like to not attract zombies faster than I can kill them.  Admittedly, this current character would probably be doing a lot better if I could have found any compatible guns and ammo besides a shotgun (and a BB gun, but fuck that, I'd rather be eaten).
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 01, 2011, 04:09:27 am »

You guy's must be unlucky (Or im really lucky) because I never start near alot of zombies. It may just be my luck since I did find a basement full of purifier once...
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 01, 2011, 04:20:56 am »

I'm not sure you caught the part where I mentioned being attacked by a half-dozen things at once, from multiple directions.  Or the part about how I'd like to not attract zombies faster than I can kill them.  Admittedly, this current character would probably be doing a lot better if I could have found any compatible guns and ammo besides a shotgun (and a BB gun, but fuck that, I'd rather be eaten).
With rifles, I can run through the zombies like they're nothing. I've rarely ran out of time to kill them before they get to me. Though being surrounded is a problem; but then again it's not like anything can help with being surrounded.

But yeah, getting guns and compatible ammo is important. Get guns out of your basement (if you're lucky and you do get them), Get to a gunstore ASAP, get to another if you can't find enough ammo, and get ripping.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 01, 2011, 04:24:42 am »

I believe Whales said that the respawn rate is determined by a clock. You could be completely quite but the clock will still go down, but just alot slower. If you make alot of noise then the clock will go down really fast.
Yeah, which I usually attributed to a couple zombies or a small group here and there, but I keep getting full blown armies in my face in the wee hours of the morning, for some reason.

General note (not directed at Bdthemag): I'm not complaining or anything, I'm just pointing it out.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 01, 2011, 05:54:53 am »

Eating your pants bug is fixed.
sigged
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 01, 2011, 06:22:37 am »

The Wiki link 404s.

Also, the new Windows version is great, no crashes so far.

Died, started a new character, spawned in a house with a basement and found two backpacks, and HOLY SHEEP.

Definitely a keeper.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:38:09 am by Blaze »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 01, 2011, 06:43:31 am »

Yeah, sometimes you get stupid lucky and start off in a house with an armory in the basement.  It's only happened once for me.

Is there some way of knowing what your actually injuries are?  Because after sleeping, I'm at essentially full health, but suffering Intense Pain which cropped up during the night (and prevented me from sleeping more than about five hours).  I don't want to push any more codeine down my system than I already have... Or is the pain from a codeine addiction, or something?

By the way, it's probably not a "bug" per se, but clear weather counts as "sunny" in the middle of the night.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 01, 2011, 06:54:43 am »

Can someone setup a directions list (Ie. 1. 2. 3.) to play on windows? This is really confusing, I'm trying to connect but I get a Disconnected: No Supported Authentication methods available. message

Use the latest windows build?
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 01, 2011, 08:01:13 am »

I already solvedthat. Silly headswe

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:36 am »

Thought I'd share a few survival tips for those who find the game pretty hard:

First off, you have about a half-hour to find yourself a decent weapon. I generally stick with blunt weapons such as pipes and two by fours. Keep An eye on the accuracy of the weapon, as a pipe can be better than a two by four simply by virtue of hitting the head more often. Also, if you'd really like to start with a dependable weapon, just start of by getting 6 skill in unarmed. You need some disadvantages for that, but you practically start off as a natural Muay Thai master.

Next, get some clothes to help store items, otherwise you won't get far.

Third item on your priority list should be drugs. Food you can get later, but drugs you'll need now. Drugs include alcohol, cocain, marijuana and aderol. This is the basic minimum (Marajuana doubles as a painkiller). This should also make your mood manageable while making sure you gain XP for your pool.

Next is food, this is can be found all over the place.

Lastly, you need a safe place. Unless you have some pretty good fighting skills trained, I recommend you stay out of the city. The worst you have to deal with are lone wolves, and you're more or less safe to experiment with drugs.

Oh, and two final notes. Vodka and tequila are the poor man's raincoat for now. Just take two swigs of the stuff, and being wet becomes less of a bother.

And on guns... Right now, i'm considering testing a theory I have about shotgun use, but for the moment, it seems rifles are the best ranged weapon. Pistols are meant to be used less than 3 paces, and need reloading, so I don't quite recommend their use unless you really need to shoot.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:27 am »

The character this happened with is dead, so I can't check his traits. I had a random character where every time a peaceful woodland critter was in view, said critter made a beeline to my character and stood right next to him. He may or may not have had animal empathy, but the text only says peaceful critters won't run away, not that they will approach.

Ah, yes. Latest version, Linux.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:24:02 am by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 777