Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263049 times)

RichardTheWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Bloody Nora!
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #3915 on: July 31, 2011, 03:46:01 pm »

You've made a cracker of a game Whales, I love the mishmash of concepts and the futuristic setting. It works really well, I especially love the crafting system.

I'm just wondering what you plans are for the future.
Will you be able to get NPCs to join you and help you out or start a self sustaining outpost or something along those lines where you can decide how the fort is built and the day to day management of it.

And will you be adding more perks and defects in the future?

And again this is a great game, it's funny how it can get my heart pacing when all I see is some Zs approaching my @.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: July 31, 2011, 03:51:39 pm »

You've made a cracker of a game Whales, I love the mishmash of concepts and the futuristic setting. It works really well, I especially love the crafting system.

I'm just wondering what you plans are for the future.
Will you be able to get NPCs to join you and help you out or start a self sustaining outpost or something along those lines where you can decide how the fort is built and the day to day management of it.

And will you be adding more perks and defects in the future?

And again this is a great game, it's funny how it can get my heart pacing when all I see is some Zs approaching my @.

Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoy it.  The future will definitely see expanded roles for NPCs.  Already you can get them to join you, but it's a rather simplistic system; it'll get fleshed out quite a bit.  Outpost management is not the focus of this game--it's not a post-apoc DF--so it won't be in the forefront.  New traits are always something I'm looking to add!  If you have any ideas, please email me or post them in the fan forums (check my sig for the link).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: July 31, 2011, 03:57:58 pm »

It would be nice to be able to become a "leader" at least of a camp (provided you actually end up as leader, you might just end up a follower) And give orders like Look for XXX outside, and Guard here, and craft and such, we don't really need the fullfront of a DF system, but something that might happen in cataclysm (not like farming is implemented anyways)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: July 31, 2011, 04:00:10 pm »

Update: I've added the ability to reassign inventory letters.  Hit = to do so.

Thank God.  Being able to reassign the keys on frequent items is so necessary.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: July 31, 2011, 04:00:54 pm »

It would be nice to be able to become a "leader" at least of a camp (provided you actually end up as leader, you might just end up a follower) And give orders like Look for XXX outside, and Guard here, and craft and such, we don't really need the fullfront of a DF system, but something that might happen in cataclysm (not like farming is implemented anyways)
Like making a stockpile of some things? the Look for XXX could be 'look for ammo' or 'look for food'.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: July 31, 2011, 04:05:14 pm »

A little suggestion.
How about a cyborg zombie? It makes sense in the context of the world, and can be fun to see.
Instead of replicating existing enhancements, they can be made unique in that they cannot be killed unless using something like an explosion or a critical hit. They will self-repair after 20-100 turns and attack again. The effects of butchering them are up to your imagination, Whales :P It might require computer skills to disable them (reprogram them to aid you at high levels?)
For reference, imagine something like the blood skeletons in mostly any Castlevania game.

I think Whales is trying to balance difficulty and fun with the emphasis on fun. That right there, sir, would not be fun. Not even a little bit.

Why so? It doesn't need to be powerful like a hulk. It can be as powerful as a normal zombie, just with that gimmick, that you can't rest with one of those corpses nearby (EDIT: I guess the Blood Skeleton reference flew by). And even so there are solutions like dragging the corpse out or butchering it somehow.
Did you understand anything more powerful than that?

I am interested in your reply, please elaborate.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:08:03 pm by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: July 31, 2011, 04:06:19 pm »

Or just burning it
*Hugs*

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3922 on: July 31, 2011, 04:08:56 pm »

How about a chance of outright destroying it on kill anyway (both with normal kill and always on an overkill (shots that do enough damage to destroy an enemy corpse)), and for the corpse to revive with very low health and low speed, and to gradually regain health instead of full, so that itcan't suddenly pop up behind you and beat you to death while you're going WOAHWHATTHEFUCK, MAN. Just keep beating it over with a rock until it stays down.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: July 31, 2011, 04:11:24 pm »

How about a chance of outright destroying it on kill anyway (both with normal kill and always on an overkill (shots that do enough damage to destroy an enemy corpse))
Oh yes, that's what I meant with "criticals", sorry for not being clear...language barrier and stuff. A headshot or a good melee hit should be more than enough to get it down.

As for the progressive thing...well, they would still achieve the same design effect, so that can work too.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3924 on: July 31, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »

How about a chance of outright destroying it on kill anyway (both with normal kill and always on an overkill (shots that do enough damage to destroy an enemy corpse)), and for the corpse to revive with very low health and low speed, and to gradually regain health instead of full, so that itcan't suddenly pop up behind you and beat you to death while you're going WOAHWHATTHEFUCK, MAN. Just keep beating it over with a rock until it stays down.
Oh yes, that's what I meant with "criticals", sorry for not being clear...language barrier and stuff. A headshot or a good melee hit should be more than enough to get it down.
Nah, an overkill isn'ta critical hit. A critical hit is how much extra damage an attack gets by chance, multiplied(sic?) by stab damage. Which can be a lot for things like spears, etc. Overkill is when you kill an enemy, doing enough damage after that [necessary to kill them], causing their body to be destroyed. This isn't too hard wiyth heavy guns and squirrels and such. Same with point blank shotgun and zombies in some cases.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: July 31, 2011, 04:17:53 pm »

Nah, an overkill isn'ta critical hit. A critical hit is how much extra damage an attack gets by chance, multiplied(sic?) by stab damage. Which can be a lot for things like spears, etc. Overkill is when you kill an enemy, doing enough damage after that [necessary to kill them], causing their body to be destroyed. This isn't too hard wiyth heavy guns and squirrels and such. Same with point blank shotgun and zombies in some cases.

Well, yes, but I used wrong terminology. "Overkill" was what I meant to say. Sorry.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3926 on: July 31, 2011, 04:18:39 pm »

It's okay.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: July 31, 2011, 04:28:40 pm »

A little suggestion.
How about a cyborg zombie? It makes sense in the context of the world, and can be fun to see.
Instead of replicating existing enhancements, they can be made unique in that they cannot be killed unless using something like an explosion or a critical hit. They will self-repair after 20-100 turns and attack again. The effects of butchering them are up to your imagination, Whales :P It might require computer skills to disable them (reprogram them to aid you at high levels?)
For reference, imagine something like the blood skeletons in mostly any Castlevania game.

I think Whales is trying to balance difficulty and fun with the emphasis on fun. That right there, sir, would not be fun. Not even a little bit.

Why so? It doesn't need to be powerful like a hulk. It can be as powerful as a normal zombie, just with that gimmick, that you can't rest with one of those corpses nearby (EDIT: I guess the Blood Skeleton reference flew by). And even so there are solutions like dragging the corpse out or butchering it somehow.
Did you understand anything more powerful than that?

I am interested in your reply, please elaborate.

When I'm playing a game I'm almost always turned off by the "this enemy can't be killed! Run away or use your special (x) to get rid of it!" gimmick. Enemies are not as difficult or engaging as they are plain annoying. I know it's not exactly the same concept, but it's similar enough. After a few encounters with it I'd only be facepalming when another appeared on screen. I can't see how a wave of zombies would be more entertaining to deal with when one of these were present.

How about a chance of outright destroying it on kill anyway (both with normal kill and always on an overkill (shots that do enough damage to destroy an enemy corpse))

As for the progressive thing...well, they would still achieve the same design effect, so that can work too.

If they're only as powerful as a regular zombie and a they can be killed by powerful blows, what would be the point? Most players don't openly engage zombie waves until they have the skill/ammunition to destroy things in 3~ hits/shots (or in the case of shotguns, one shot). I see what you're trying to get at, but I don't think it'd be fun in practice. These zombies would be low priority (or perhaps last priority) and pose very little extra threat, aside from occasionally standing up in a fight and getting knocked away again. It would serve the same purpose as a regular zombie with no added difficulty, wouldn't it?

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: July 31, 2011, 04:30:22 pm »

Good thing I've been using my BB gun instead of my shotgun to hunt squirrels and rabbits xD
Of course I wouldn't waste shells like that anyways, but I should carry it around incase of those bears or wolves =/

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:51 pm »

Good thing I've been using my BB gun instead of my shotgun to hunt squirrels and rabbits xD
Of course I wouldn't waste shells like that anyways, but I should carry it around incase of those bears or wolves =/

I like to use bird shot for squirrel hunting whenever I find it. The shots do so little damage that they might as well be used for quick shotgun skill.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 777