Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260254 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8610 on: December 21, 2011, 11:16:43 am »

For the official windows version, all NPCs disappear if I save.

Also, I found a block of rubble inside a house. Is this normal?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: December 21, 2011, 11:26:35 am »

All NPCs disappear when you save and quit, Whales doesn't want to write a system for saving them, only to have to change it later because he modified how NPCs work.

As for the rubble, was it a house you'd ever visited before?
*Hugs*

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: December 21, 2011, 11:46:53 am »

Never visited it before. Also, parkour expert is one of the bes traits I've used so far. Being able to climb through windows without getting cut is great, not to mention being able to outrun zombies over countertops and rubble.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: December 21, 2011, 12:13:10 pm »

For the official windows version, all NPCs disappear if I save.

Also, I found a block of rubble inside a house. Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal.  It's a mini-crater.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: December 22, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »

Since Cataclysm started as L4D roguelike it will take some time to open up other than bash and shoot everything possibilities of survival. Yet i feel we're heading the right way.
I'll try to make a "pacifist" run using only traps, spike pits, pheromones, molotovs, grenades and fast feet keeping the combat skills as low as possible to see how it goes and how long i can keep up.

My test with non-combat character is over.
Nerdy, near-sighted, asthmatic, lightweight, wool allergic weak and clumsy guy.
Conclusion: While its possible to keep him alive you simply can't survive without directly engaging the zombies from time to time and overall its hard as hell. I managed to survive for 11 days (killed by jumping spider) and had couple dozens kills instead of hundreds i have normally at that point. Shame i didn't managed to build a stronghold. 

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: December 22, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »

Conclusion: While its possible to keep him alive you simply can't survive without directly engaging the zombies from time to time and overall its hard as hell. I managed to survive for 11 days (killed by jumping spider) and had couple dozens kills instead of hundreds i have normally at that point. Shame i didn't managed to build a stronghold. 
I think that's reasonable, though. Did you end up doing much with traps?

My non-combat characters tend to be trap fanatics. I think my last character lived for a long time with most zombie killing based around finishing off broken zombies in the bottom of pits. Killed by a bug, since fixed.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: December 22, 2011, 02:19:41 pm »

I think that's reasonable, though. Did you end up doing much with traps?

My non-combat characters tend to be trap fanatics. I think my last character lived for a long time with most zombie killing based around finishing off broken zombies in the bottom of pits. Killed by a bug, since fixed.

Not really, i've used a load of boublewraps, when you can't effectively fight back you can't afford to be catched off guard. I used a lot of pheromone and molotovs ...and cocaine  :).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: December 22, 2011, 02:22:32 pm »

I've been interested in pheromones myself.  How effective are they in turning a situation?  Seems like if you had a good brute or hulk nearby turn friendly it'd be worth all the trouble.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: December 23, 2011, 01:25:05 pm »

Can i propose a nerf/fix to metabolic intercharge? Can you make it instead of waisting a lot of hunger points on your batteries actually balance energy with hunger? That is, if you have less hunger then energy- generate energy, if otherwise- feed you batteries power. Because as it is now- it's a great way to make all other power augs useless ALSO destroying functionality of all other augs, 'cause you can't even use god damned skull led without starving to death >:(

or at least make it into active aug.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: December 23, 2011, 01:47:20 pm »

http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=721.0

I was upset with this as well, particularly if you ever get time dilation, metabolics, and 100+ battery power, you're pretty much dead.  Time Dilation consumes your entire battery power at once, no option there, so if you've got massive power you get massive time shift, and then if you've got metabolics you've also got massive hunger.  With the current Metabolics, you get 2 hunger per 1 power, so at 100 power it'd take 200 hunger, which is 4 cooked meat or 5 raw meat.  You essentially require a bear corpse on-hand at all times to enjoy metabolics at all.

My change (currently) makes it active or passive.  Passive provides 1 energy per 5 minutes at 1:1 hunger:power, or active provides the same as the current version - 2:1 every turn, which is what starves you and makes all other power obsolete.  Good luck using solar if you've got metabolics!

The next version, when I get around to modding it, will likely provide 2:1 hunger:energy every 30 seconds while active, and do nothing while passive.  Current metabolics make your battery size null - if you've got food you've got infinite energy due to the massive recharge rate.  I intend to nerf that and make it a slow progression of energy, and more importantly let you turn it off in case you want to loiter around collecting solar.  Not to mention, that you may want to drain yourself while exploring a lab (ie, facing the finale) but don't want to starve in the process.  Metabolics just hurt too much to use, needs a good overworking.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: December 23, 2011, 01:50:32 pm »

My test with non-combat character is over.
Nerdy, near-sighted, asthmatic, lightweight, wool allergic weak and clumsy guy.

All my characters so far have followed that line. The latest don't even start with any skill. It's not as hard as you paint it, as firearms provide decent damage early enough, without requiring extreme training.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8621 on: December 23, 2011, 02:03:37 pm »

I never start with any skills...  Should I have?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: December 23, 2011, 02:13:44 pm »

It can certainly make things a hell of a lot easier. ESPECIALLY if you're doing a noncom.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: December 23, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »

Books are such a no-brainer/replacement for early skill training (or almost all skill training in the case of skills with high-level books) that starting with skill points is pretty much pointless unless it's a skill that is rather useful and has no books relevant to it. Otherwise, you're better off spending on traits and stats.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: December 23, 2011, 03:08:58 pm »

Starting off with 1 point in your combat skill of choice is a pretty solid tactic. It ensures you're able to handle enemies that come at you before you can find a library.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 777