Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263390 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9630 on: June 05, 2012, 02:13:27 pm »

If your first-week survival plans involve the use of guns, it's not suprising you don't last long.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9631 on: June 05, 2012, 02:18:58 pm »

More seriously, though, what exactly am I doing wrong trying to avoid these damned hordes coming at me from every direction. I ran across a bridge to the other side, which I KNEW was clear since it's where I came, only to find a horde blocking my path!

WTF spawn algorithms, wtf.

I never even made any noise, but it's like once a single zombie spots you INSTA MOB.

I distinctly remember being able to take out single zombies and work my way through a city, or fight off a group and, if silent, not have any more come right away, and it seems to be impossible now. I'm staying alive, sure, but it just feels /weird/. I'm sort of missing the come and go, now it's always a constant fight or flight, with the only safe place I've found being in the basement of the shelter because there's a guy upstairs with a mace or some shit to deal with the never ending trickle of zeds/bears in the wilderness.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9632 on: June 05, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »

We could make 2 and 3 story houses, since zombies travel stairs now. You would not be able to see what's outside through windows, but you can make people to be able to jump out of windows (more applications for Parkour Expert trait) and live on roofs.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9633 on: June 05, 2012, 02:22:00 pm »

How the hell do you do that? I've never managed to get to day 2 since the basement no longer has guns.
That's your problem right there. Try to avoid using guns and make bows and arrows. I only take guns when I'm attacking an ant hill or bee hive for food. The food you get from an ant hill can last for months.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9634 on: June 05, 2012, 02:27:31 pm »

I liked the old spawning mechanic more too.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9635 on: June 05, 2012, 02:31:24 pm »

The problem with the old spawning mechanic is that it made it too easy. Run a block down, and then run back and all the zombies are gone. That was because the 'window' in which entities were tracked was much smaller.

However, WHERE zombies spawn could use some work, but I'm not sure how one would go about improving it.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9636 on: June 05, 2012, 02:35:34 pm »

We could make 2 and 3 story houses, since zombies travel stairs now. You would not be able to see what's outside through windows, but you can make people to be able to jump out of windows (more applications for Parkour Expert trait) and live on roofs.

Was this... was this a response to the post I didn't actually make? o_o

Because it's the perfect response, pretty much, but I could have sworn I didn't make it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9637 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:05 pm »

It was a response to a Cthulhu's question do we only get villages/towns or we have some cities.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9638 on: June 05, 2012, 03:05:00 pm »

Heh, my not-posted post was going to be

"So, are multi-story buildings in? I think I remember them being literally impossible with the way z-levels worked in game (i.e. that they weren't z-levels, and things above and below weren't really connected) but don't know if that's been overcome or not yet.

It would definitely feel a hell of a lot cooler to have multistory mansions and hospitals. Flee to the roof! Get in the choppa! Escape!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9639 on: June 05, 2012, 03:10:54 pm »

Yep, they are different Z levels in game, but you could make people who fall off the windows to teleport "z level down" in coordinates, basically have all "open space" areas like stairs.

But of course there's a lot of stuff to consider, like bombs going off on the first Z level and the like.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: June 05, 2012, 03:20:55 pm »

I wonder how much hacking could be done there...  If you kept the Z=0 and the Z+1 map active at the same time, could you do a lot of data gathering and tile fudging to make it possible to see down?  Probably couldn't shoot down, but looking may be possible if you cross-check enough coordinates.  But it may cause the game to slow down...

Either way, wtb destroy airports complete with air control towers.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9641 on: June 05, 2012, 03:32:01 pm »

The game already has a terrain tile which drops you down 1z, it's used for sinkholes.
*Hugs*

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: June 05, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »

Went pretty far in my new profile, got killed by a brute D:

Also, WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH BLACK WIDOWS? If they can take two 7x6 rounds then something is REEEEEAAALLY fuckin' wrong.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: June 05, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »

The game already has a terrain tile which drops you down 1z, it's used for sinkholes.

The problem isn't going up and down, it's ending up in the right place, something the game does not handle terribly well as far as I know.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: June 05, 2012, 04:15:52 pm »

Something is REEEEAAALLLY fuckin' wrong, Ggamer:

They may be not that big, but they have a lot of hp, which means they are mutated insects along with giant ants and giant bees.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 641 642 [643] 644 645 ... 777