Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448063 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

Argh, I lost power part-way through downloading it!
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jet aircraft engines can be researched before researching landing gear.
Landing is overrated anyway.

First mission was successful, 10 science for orbiting and then landing was pretty nice. Didn't unlock much, but decouplers might be enough to go somewhere interesting.
Parachutes. Attatch 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

My download's taking its sweet time before breaking. Greatorder's torrent idea is starting to sound good.
Hunh?

When'd I recommend torrenting?
I didn't mean you recommended it, you just said a while ago that you used to download new versions with torrents instead of waiting for the end of the DL rush.

Ahem... that was me...

On an unrelated note I sent a probe to EVE, since getting back from Eve is almost impossible.
I forgot parachutes, and some way to control entry.

I did find out that Eve is made of harder stuff than my probe, so there's that.

Also, one day Jeb had a craving for mint, so he stole a three person experimental craft:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look how happy he is!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

hur hur, try getting a surface sample from the launchpad.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think you actually lose any science if you transmit stuff back. Based on what I'm seeing, you've got a number that's the total amount of science a given part can give you for a given location.

Example(numbers might be off slightly, doing it from memory, but the theory is correct as I've watched it happen in several places):

Using the Materials Lab in orbit of the Mun can get you 100 science total. You can use the lab and then return it to Kerbin for all 100 science, or your can transmit for 20% of that, which would be 20 science. The other 80 isn't lost, it's still there since you can transmit again for another 20% of that 80 which gives you 16 science and leaves 64. Transmit again for 20% of that and you get 12.8 science, leaving you 51.2 science. You can keep doing this, shaving 20% off the remaining science each time, for as long as you have power available. Now, if you keep doing it it will inevitably leave you with a small remnant of science, since you can never collect it ALL if you just keep shaving 20% off of it, but if you transmit enough, you can end up with a number of remaining science left that's so small it'd be thrown away by the game anyway when rounding numbers.

It is tedious, requires a lot of clicking and requires some sort of power source to keep your batteries charged through all this inefficient transmitting but you never REALLY lose anything and it allows you to collect the science from multiple places with one vehicle. I just sent a probe to the Mun which got high mun orbit, low mun orbit and landed in a crater on the far side and researched that. With both the materials lab and the goo canister, it was very profitable science wise.

EDIT: I should have mentioned, I have strong suspicions that whatever science you DON"T transmit back in a given mission, can simply be grabbed in a later mission either through return samples or transmission. More tests will have to be done on this though.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:15:26 am by sluissa »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Jet aircraft engines can be researched before researching landing gear.
Landing is overrated anyway.

First mission was successful, 10 science for orbiting and then landing was pretty nice. Didn't unlock much, but decouplers might be enough to go somewhere interesting.
Parachutes. Attatch 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

My download's taking its sweet time before breaking. Greatorder's torrent idea is starting to sound good.
Hunh?

When'd I recommend torrenting?
I didn't mean you recommended it, you just said a while ago that you used to download new versions with torrents instead of waiting for the end of the DL rush.

Ahem... that was me...

On an unrelated note I sent a probe to EVE, since getting back from Eve is almost impossible.
I forgot parachutes, and some way to control entry.

I did find out that Eve is made of harder stuff than my probe, so there's that.

Also, one day Jeb had a craving for mint, so he stole a three person experimental craft:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Look how happy he is!
Whoops.

Sorry, Greatorder. And ank.

Edit: I just noticed that that flag had your Bay 12 avatar on it. I'm going to put my Abe avatar on a flag, and probably write HATERS GONNA HATE under it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 07:03:47 am by IronTomato »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

KSP needs a Tourism mod.

Make spacestations with hydroponics, views, etc etc. Imagine a Startopia lite, but building stuff and getting people there and back is just a whole hella lot harder. And more fun!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Imagine a sort of a Tycoon, except somewhat different. You have tourist modules, and bring tourists aboard. The tourists pay you a fixed amount of money in advance, so what you do is try to make them happy - let them experience some g's if they want to, give them planetary views, interesting sights, etc. The happier the tourists leave your rocket (assuming they live to leave your rocket), the better your space program's Space Tourism rating, and the higher the price future tourists will agree to pay.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

KSP needs a Tourism mod.

Make spacestations with hydroponics, views, etc etc. Imagine a Startopia lite, but building stuff and getting people there and back is just a whole hella lot harder. And more fun!
Further down Career mode, it's assumed that crew will eventually die.  You'll have to bring some sort of life support and food source, along with ideally some type of leisure activities to keep them sane.  You won't be able to just pop over to Jool and drift there, you'll have to prepare!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, Life Support and time span.  I forgot about that kind of stuff, and I was already expecting the full game to get wildly harder just from reentry heat and G-forces actually doing something.  Plus... budgeting.  Scary.

I've noticed two things about the Science progression added to the game.  The first is that the "diminishing returns" function of science data makes it seem almost pointless to transmit anything, as opposed to sending craploads of missions to return data, except for Fire And Forget space probes (just like NASA).

The other is that being forced to worth with only a small selection of parts has definitely effected my rocket building sense, in that I'm building idiotic stacks of boosters and multi-engine jobs just like I did in the game's early versions.  Which stands to reason, in its own way, and is a lot of fun again.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

You'll have to bring some sort of life support and food source, along with ideally some type of leisure activities to keep them sane.
Whatever do you mean? There's a compartment clearly marked "Food" and "Board Games" in the Hitchhiker.  :P

But yeah, I'm also in love with this new  science thing. I actually enjoy playing vanilla even after I've sent a probe to everywhere and Jeb to Eve.

As far as the whole budget thing goes, I hope they implement that as soon as possible, otherwise all my Rocket Company DH-1 TSTO knockoffs will just have been furious projection of a massive rocket flight nerd.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Space monopoly probably involves spatial dice trajectory planning and trying to get your cluster of positively charged plastic hotels to maintain a stable orbit around the negatively charged game board.

Also, I am having fun with .22. Haven't had much time, so I'm in the early stages of career for now.

Jeb's first Mun landing happened on the steep slope of a crater. The legs kept the lander somewhat stable, so Jeb went to the lip of the crater to plant a flag. On the way down, he hit the ground at speed, tumbled, and managed to hit the lander exactly right to knock it over.

Thankfully the lander could get back up with reaction wheels, but it really doesn't have enough fuel to go anywhere. It barely achieved a 45-degree inclined orbit some ten Km off the surface of the Mun, and that's with Jeb pushing.

I am now planning a rescue mission. Since I need to rescue the whole ship, it's going to be quite fun. ^_^
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:42:27 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If KSP has taught me anything about space, then the reason your hotels are drifting away from the planet is because you didn't link enough struts to the orbit.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it taught ME anything, it's that orbits are weird.

To slow down, you need to speed up and get further away from the planet, to speed up, you need to go slower and get nearer to the planet.
And yet to get further away, you need to speed up!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

So, my munar lander was a little bigger than I thought, and couldn't get back home. Cue rescue mission. My rescue mission also ran out of fuel... but it's got to 62,000 meters. It'll come back... eventually... (with even a little science for my efforts!)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is how most rescue missions go.  Send one to rescue another.  It's tugs all the way down.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 848