Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448770 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7095 on: November 09, 2013, 01:43:30 pm »

It's rocket science. You expect it to be easy?
Nothing important here, move along.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7096 on: November 09, 2013, 01:44:10 pm »

KAS and Kethane are wonderful. I also really like MehcJeb but that's because I'm lazy :P

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7097 on: November 09, 2013, 01:45:28 pm »

Today, I landed on Eve with a very simple science station (goo, barometer, thermometer).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have the same on Duna as well:

These gave me a fair bit of science, over 500 each I believe.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: November 09, 2013, 01:48:18 pm »

KSP scientists probably have the book of Murphy's Law on every desk, especially for my launches.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7099 on: November 09, 2013, 01:52:10 pm »

I seriously need mainsails. I've been struggling to get things into orbit with 256 boosters. When the kraken doesn't strike, though, it's actually surprisingly stable.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: November 09, 2013, 02:00:36 pm »

KSP scientists probably have the book of Murphy's Law on every desk, especially for my launches.
Huh, I always imagined them with an "Engineering For Dummies" copy nearby.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: November 09, 2013, 02:02:19 pm »

How stable / efficient is it compared to a traditional rover>

Well, I'm really not sure how to calculate that, but for stability it's basically designed to roll over on itself in order to move, so it can't be turtled or otherwise disabled via getting stuck unless you pop it on its ends and rotate it until the reaction wheels come off. It's difficult to get it going in the right direction sometimes, but the number of reaction wheels and low mass let it rotate pretty freely even under normal kerbin gravity so pointing it in a new direction isn't a problem. And as displayed in the picture from Minmus; under low gravity it can balance itself on a point using only the SAS torque. I even managed to do that again 500 meters up one of the nearby mountains, which it does have enough friction to stop on, but has some trouble going up because it prefers to bounce and occasionally bounces backwards.

For efficiency, it's pretty slow and like I said it sometimes wants to roll/bounce back down hillsides especially under low gravity, but it's unlikely to break easily, has all the science equipment onboard besides the science jr. materials bay, and the SAS modules don't drain the batteries so it can effectively run indefinitely. Transmitting data can drain the batteries, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: November 09, 2013, 02:04:08 pm »

It is however a great game to have a friend over and play, since the game play is not about pushing buttons at just the right time(like shooters etc).
Rather the game play is about figuring out how to do stuff, and this can be much fun with a friend.

Remote viewing like TeamViewer would work well if your friend is not physically near you. You can not only share your screen but also your mouse pointer.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: November 09, 2013, 05:19:47 pm »

Got Jeb stranded on Duna when his spaceship disintegrated in the lower atmosphere. Luckily he's right on the equator and surrounded by flat terrain. I could have gone back to an earlier quicksave, but I want to mount a rescue mission.

Any mod packs out there that aren't game-breaking [i.e. Tech tree integration, and not just a magic booster wankfest with infinite fuel]?
I've been enjoying the Near Future Propulsion Pack and the Kerbal Stock Part eXpansion mod.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: November 09, 2013, 05:50:50 pm »

I seriously need mainsails. I've been struggling to get things into orbit with 256 boosters. When the kraken doesn't strike, though, it's actually surprisingly stable.
The secret is making exactly the right amount of stages. As a rule of thumb, I found that a single stage should provide just enough thrust to lift thrice its own weight, and any stage should be as heavy as all later stages together.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: November 09, 2013, 08:17:10 pm »

Still, it's not exactly brain surgery, is it?  ;D
Brain surgery?  That's easy.

Can't take any pictures because of terrible internet right now, but I've finally got my landing system down.  Instead of trying to land a heavy science modules, often in the dark due to fuel, I seperate it into multiple parts.   The cockpit comes down by itself, to guarantee pilot survival.   The science jr. comes down by itself with several instruments, and the mystery goo comes down by itself with instruments.   Eventually I'm planning on adapting this to my drop pod idea.  Send a central rocket down with three pods, and deploy each one two seconds from each other. with the main body of the rocket acting as a cruise missile once all pods are away.  Because if  you are going to drop something from orbit you might as well use it to rain fire upon those you disagree with.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: November 09, 2013, 11:08:02 pm »

Built a Kethane mining crawler for the Mun. It can land from 100km orbit and drill up 8000 kethane. I don't think it can then get back into orbit. Maybe. It had more than half its fuel upon landing but the kethane is going to almost double its weight. It uses four Rockomax 55 radial engines. I made the first landing near one of the big long scars on the Mun. It has KAS parts so it's prepared to sit there and rot wait for something to ferry its load up to the orbiting processor.

Half full fuel and completely full kethane specs. Simple and modular. I did have to design it in SPH.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:29:15 am by BigD145 »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: November 10, 2013, 08:14:22 pm »

Any mod packs out there that aren't game-breaking [i.e. Tech tree integration, and not just a magic booster wankfest with infinite fuel]?
I actually haven't found a "magic booster wankfest with infinite fuel" mod. AND I'VE BEEN LOOKING.
Closest thing to that is probably the Interstellar mod.
It has warp drive, which is amazing, but I can't seem to get it into orbit without infinite fuel mainsails :P
Also its crazy hard to get antimatter and such for it.
Scott Manley himself said its Non-OP Warp Drive :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 848