Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926895 times)

LibidoMax

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble in body and mind.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1650 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:30 pm »

A first person open world rpg set in an idealized american frontier, especially inspired by spaghetti westerns. Plus a large emphasis on character building, realistic gun mechanics, and an immersive experience (so no fast travel, regenerating health, or bullet time). Also with plenty of flat, wide open land to ride through as you wander through the land of the endless sky.
That which does not kill me...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: January 29, 2013, 09:27:21 pm »

A game, not necessarily even a complicated one, where you rule a nation as in a paradox RTS or a Total War game, but with a catch.  You only have the information available in the city or army you're currently leading.  Every other army and province is handled by whoever you put in charge, using whatever orders you've given them and as well as their personal judgement to try to do what they think is best.  Better hope whoever you put in charge of the border countries is competent and loyal.  Everyone tries to send regular reports back and you can see a "best guess" map of the world with indicators as to how recent your info is.  Reports and orders can be lost or tampered with, and you can of course use spies to gather info and sabotage your enemies.  At the end, you get to see a replay of what really happened in your game.

While realism is nice, the main thing this would bring to the table is unpredictability and lack of control.  In most strategy games I'm everywhere, I know virtually everything and I'm also confident in my ability to outthink the AI.  My armies are almost always deployed in a reasonably efficient manner, which means war is typically a predictable affair.  Also, in most games large medieval style empires are far too coordinated and thus always crush smaller foes, but with this system a larger empire would have much more to fear from rebellions because they could already be well underway by the time the central authority even knew they were happening, and orders would likewise take a while to get out.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: January 30, 2013, 01:15:17 pm »

A game, not necessarily even a complicated one, where you rule a nation as in a paradox RTS or a Total War game, but with a catch.  You only have the information available in the city or army you're currently leading.  Every other army and province is handled by whoever you put in charge, using whatever orders you've given them and as well as their personal judgement to try to do what they think is best.  Better hope whoever you put in charge of the border countries is competent and loyal.  Everyone tries to send regular reports back and you can see a "best guess" map of the world with indicators as to how recent your info is.  Reports and orders can be lost or tampered with, and you can of course use spies to gather info and sabotage your enemies.  At the end, you get to see a replay of what really happened in your game.

While it still very early in development, being a ruler in Ultima Ratio Regum should have all that. Plus the ability to be one of those underlings of course.

It is not like  Paradox or TW game though :P.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:19:08 pm by Dutchling »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

I once thought of making a troll point and click where you play a Dwarf in Dwarf Fortress and the solution to EVERY puzzle is applying magma.

There are other things you collect but only magma is the solution.

So you have to forge a sword and there are iron Ingots... using the Iron ingots gives you a game over.

You have to use magma to get a magma sword. Then when fighting the monster you made the sword for... using the magma sword gives you a gameover... using magma is the only right answer.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:57 pm »

the joke would get old pretty quickly. it would probably be a better game if the objective was to use different objects in a convoluted way in order to trigger a magma related solutionary event to beat the scenario. goblin invasion? use your axe on that statue to chop it's head so it rolls down that ramp and hit a lever to activate a spike trape that enrages the tame beast that topples the door of the magma filled kitchen from the previous scenario

in other news, the dream game idea i've been nurturing for over 10 years has been fulfilled. it's called elemental:war of magic and is a pile of crap :( the good thing is that i can simply describe my dream game as "elemental done right" instead of spending half an hour describing the detailed mechanics of civilization design i came up with

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: January 31, 2013, 12:48:42 pm »

"The good news is the ultimate game has been made. The bad news is that it's utter shite." -Askot

I'd like a Star Wars D20 game again. Another KotOR, but with way more free-roaming sandbox action, less scripted quests/fights.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: January 31, 2013, 01:02:03 pm »

the joke would get old pretty quickly. it would probably be a better game if the objective was to use different objects in a convoluted way in order to trigger a magma related solutionary event to beat the scenario. goblin invasion? use your axe on that statue to chop it's head so it rolls down that ramp and hit a lever to activate a spike trape that enrages the tame beast that topples the door of the magma filled kitchen from the previous scenario

in other news, the dream game idea i've been nurturing for over 10 years has been fulfilled. it's called elemental:war of magic and is a pile of crap :( the good thing is that i can simply describe my dream game as "elemental done right" instead of spending half an hour describing the detailed mechanics of civilization design i came up with

They did re-release a less shitty version called "Fallen Enchantress" iirc

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: February 01, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »

is it's still a big turd. (almost) all the features i wanted, not enough depth, and one of the dullest gameplay i've experienced in years. oh, and the lore makes me cringe.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: February 01, 2013, 10:22:01 pm »

Perfect Dark 2. Where's the love, Rare? :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: February 01, 2013, 10:37:54 pm »

Wasn't there a Perfect Dark game for the Xbox? Or does that "not count"?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: February 01, 2013, 11:14:23 pm »

There is a prequel on 360, and I haven't really played it (don't have a 360) so I can't pass judgment on it. I've heard that it isn't as good as the original. I just kind of wish that Perfect Dark enjoyed the mainstream popularity that Halo and their mutual distant cousin Goldeneye received.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 01, 2013, 11:28:12 pm »

There is a prequel on 360, and I haven't really played it (don't have a 360) so I can't pass judgment on it. I've heard that it isn't as good as the original. I just kind of wish that Perfect Dark enjoyed the mainstream popularity that Halo and their mutual distant cousin Goldeneye received.
It was shit.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:10 am »

This Extra Credit got me thinking about how cool plots could be revolving around faith.

You're a crusader who worships some god. Throughout the game you fight in his name, but he doesn't help you. Not once. You're put in horrible situations, difficult fights, and you're given many choices involving your faith. Eventually you could abandon it and fight for yourself or keep suffering for it and stay faithful through your trials.

At the end, there's no confirmation of which side is right. The game would need to be written so that either part is just as believable, and although choosing religion should typically be harder as you're being tried for your faith, care would need to be taken so the religious choices aren't seen by players as just hard mode. The point of the religious aspect would be to get players to think about this fictional religion, get invested in it, and potentially debate about it.

I've seen too many games where the gods are all clearly there, act constantly, and worship is more choosing favorites than anything having to do with belief. Nonbelievers tend to recognize the gods' existence and just don't like the gods, or if they actually don't believe in the gods they end up looking like idiots because the player character constantly sees concrete evidence of their existence. For once I want faith to be about believing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 02, 2013, 08:46:46 am »

At the end, there's no confirmation of which side is right. The game would need to be written so that either part is just as believable, and although choosing religion should typically be harder as you're being tried for your faith, care would need to be taken so the religious choices aren't seen by players as just hard mode. The point of the religious aspect would be to get players to think about this fictional religion, get invested in it, and potentially debate about it.

You played Unreal World yet?  There's a prayer system.  There's only one prayer which is known to have a supernatural effect.  It's the prayer to be saved from drowning.  When it works, a giant fish spawns and carries you to land.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:01 am »

The Joke is MEANT to get old.

It is a satire of the dwarf fortress jokes that are taken MUCH much MUUUUUUUUUCH more seriously then they should be.

Thus by the end of it the player is supposed to be as sick of the dwarf jokes as I am.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 577