Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926676 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4650 on: November 05, 2014, 03:07:42 pm »

Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance, but as an open universe exploration and trading game.

(I actually tried to do this by adding an external program that created missions on-the-fly and then launching the game... on paper, somehow. I didn't get far)

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: November 05, 2014, 03:16:11 pm »

A game that's like Spore except more detailed. You can go to space while still in Civilization stage and your home star system has a 6-14 planets in it. There are also more industry options than spice, would you prefer farming or mining? In the Space Stage you can switch between Flagship mode, which is almost exactly like Spore's Space stage but with actual planetary exploration, and Empire mode, where you manage the empire in a way similar to traditional 4X games.

You know, I think the main problem of Spore was that it was trying to do too many things at once, so it's wide but ankle-deep in terms of possibilities.

The way I'd go about making Spore 2 would be to serialize it, sorta like Paradox games did with human history - different stages done as separate games with separate mechanics with imports between the episodes.
But a series consisting of 5-8 episodes sounds like a blatant cash cow! It would much easier to smooth the transitions between stages.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: November 05, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »

Now that I think about it, a new Black and White would be a pretty cool thing.  But only if the ideas are cooked up by Molyneaux and then done by an entirely different team that worked with those who created the original Black and Whites.

I have an itch to throw a peasant at my enemies again, and there's nothing new that satisfies that itch.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: November 05, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »

A multiplayer Pokemon action-adventure game where different mons need to use their various abilities to solve environmental puzzles. For example, a rock or fighting mon might smash through a locked door, whereas an electric mon could zap the control panel, or a psychic mon could possess a human to open the door for them, and there are puzzles that require players to use their various strengths together or at the same time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: November 05, 2014, 06:26:46 pm »

A multiplayer Pokemon action-adventure game where different mons need to use their various abilities to solve environmental puzzles. For example, a rock or fighting mon might smash through a locked door, whereas an electric mon could zap the control panel, or a psychic mon could possess a human to open the door for them, and there are puzzles that require players to use their various strengths together or at the same time.
Pokémon Ranger makes a half-assed attempt at this.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: November 05, 2014, 10:16:50 pm »

Pokémon Ranger makes a half-assed attempt at this.

I hated that game and I hate you for making me remember it exists.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: November 07, 2014, 02:56:36 am »

Industrialization the game.

Some of the style of puzzle pirates when it comes to individuals completing "work" in the form of manufacturing puzzles
(stamping out metal, weaving things on big machines etc.), and some of the style of eve online when it comes to making an
economy actually based on players consuming and producing and controlling the markets.

Your character has basic needs (food, clothing, shelter), and then there are the wants of fancy homes and goods to show off
which require money.

Money is not made by killing various things, but by working to create things which are needed. Or, by owning the means of
production.

Say a person gets a plot of land at the start. They can work that land and make food to eat, or use little laborious hand-mills to spin
fibers for cloth and be self sufficient with some effort. Local market placed in the villages help people swap food/clothing/tools and
get by. But maybe they sell the land? Then they up and move to the city where they work in factories which were also
owned and set up by players. Perhaps with the dream of one day setting up their own shop, or crafts factory.

On top of this you can add corporations, trading of goods and supplies, and factional fighting. You could anticipate that
industry might make a good profit from war, producing the weapons that would be needed. Industry could also be behind
the construction and maintenance of trains connecting important locations for the mass shipment of goods and supplies.
Getting to the point where your company could actually produce the trains themselves might be a massive feat of engineering
and organization (kind of end game level stuff), requiring the making or sourcing of all kinds of parts. All along the way
you need actual working joes coming in and doing all of the required work with the machines in a puzzle pirate kind of way.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:00:08 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: November 08, 2014, 12:52:40 pm »

Industrialization the game.
I would play this game.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: November 08, 2014, 05:01:05 pm »

Shit, really? Because I've had the idea for the worst pay 2 win mmo ever in my head for ages, and it's not too dissimilar. It's basically "feudalism: the mmo" wherein if you pay nothing, you start as a lowly serf farmer on a plot of land which you don't even own, while your liege lord takes however much of your crops / profits he decides he wants to, and may decide to give you a spear (or whatever) and send you off to die in a war you care nothing about, and when you do die you take over as your child or something of the sort (presumably you can actually get married and have kids in the game, and time would be sped up), and the only way to get out of serfdom is to either make enough money to sneak your kid off to a city and an apprenticeship, or join a revolt or the like, or buy a title of your own if you manage to save enough money (or use real money).

Naturally this sounds kind of awful, and yet people play (or played) farmville. If the serf-game is pretty much a farming game with skinner box mechanics combined with some sort of trading system with people playing merchants (who could have a system for trading with people in cities and farms and nobles and stuff, or the merchants could just be automated AIs, but I'm sure people would feel more realistic and there would be people who would love to do it).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: November 08, 2014, 05:13:50 pm »

I want to get back into making custom WC3 maps, but I lost my discs. :'(

Did you ever register them with blizzard, or do you still have the cd key? They let you download the games if they're registered.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: November 08, 2014, 05:26:30 pm »

Shit, really? Because I've had the idea for the worst pay 2 win mmo ever in my head for ages, and it's not too dissimilar. It's basically "feudalism: the mmo" wherein if you pay nothing, you start as a lowly serf farmer on a plot of land which you don't even own, while your liege lord takes however much of your crops / profits he decides he wants to, and may decide to give you a spear (or whatever) and send you off to die in a war you care nothing about, and when you do die you take over as your child or something of the sort (presumably you can actually get married and have kids in the game, and time would be sped up), and the only way to get out of serfdom is to either make enough money to sneak your kid off to a city and an apprenticeship, or join a revolt or the like, or buy a title of your own if you manage to save enough money (or use real money).

Naturally this sounds kind of awful, and yet people play (or played) farmville. If the serf-game is pretty much a farming game with skinner box mechanics combined with some sort of trading system with people playing merchants (who could have a system for trading with people in cities and farms and nobles and stuff, or the merchants could just be automated AIs, but I'm sure people would feel more realistic and there would be people who would love to do it).
So basically its a free to play parody of free to play games.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: November 08, 2014, 05:31:51 pm »

A game like Aurora 4X with better diplomacy and stability/functionality.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: November 08, 2014, 06:14:48 pm »

So basically its a free to play parody of free to play games.

Exactly.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: November 08, 2014, 08:44:31 pm »

Haha. I guess I'm a bit of a masochist. The normal MMO setup is that you do single player "you are the hero" kind of quests but with buddies and then mix it up with some PvP right. I'd like to play "you are the discontented factory worker" some time.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: November 10, 2014, 12:48:25 am »

A game like Aurora 4X with better diplomacy and stability/functionality.
And a better UI. One that doesn't take arcane knowledge to install properly would be nice, too.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 577