Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929618 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #5445 on: July 07, 2015, 04:41:31 am »

I've imagined for awhile now a game that is in the style of fire emblem with top-down, turn-based strategic unit warfare, but instead of individual units they'd be groups of 1-5 characters you'd select in that stage's setup phase, and whenever units fought the game would focus in and you'd control that group of characters in more traditional RPG-style (like outta Final Fantasy or something) that'd last for one round before zooming out and continuing the strategy portion.

I don't know if anything like that exists, all the most recent Fire Emblems have been disappointing so I always get caught up in what *I* would have done.
I knew I knew one game that did that! Bahamut Lagoon for the SNES(Japan only, but there's a fanlation)! Game is crazy, there's that individual in tactical/party in battle thing, dragons you control indirectly with orders and elemental magic affects the battlefield(ice freezes water, making bridges, thunder destroys trees I think and I forgot what fire does :P). Well worth a try I'd say.

And then there's gemfire, where your individual units are really whole army units but you have no agency over combat, you just tell them what to attack in tactical mode and the game autoresolves how many on each side dies. Yggdra Union does something simmilar IIRC, but I wouldn't be surprised if another game in the "series" did exactly what you want though, they tend to have weird battle systems.

I've actually played through Bahamut Lagoon twice, it's a SUPER excellent game, it even includes a breeding mechanic to get baby dragons that become their own units. Though the art for the "dragons" is trippy as hell, infact the whole setting of the game world occurs in what can only be described as the Turbo Acid Trip Dimension.

I've never heard of Gemfire or Yggdra Union though, they sound like they could be unique and interesting.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: July 07, 2015, 04:46:58 am »

Some kind of game that simulates being a serial killer. There's all these games that simulate being a spree killer (Postal, GTA), or murder-for-hire (GTA, Hitman, Hotline Miami, Saints' Row) but not really any serial killer games.

EDIT:
Did I post this suggestion before? I've got the weirdest sense of deja vu.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:49:05 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5447 on: July 07, 2015, 05:58:46 am »

You've suggested a wanton murder simulator at least once before.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: July 07, 2015, 09:40:23 am »

Some kind of game that simulates being a serial killer. There's all these games that simulate being a spree killer (Postal, GTA), or murder-for-hire (GTA, Hitman, Hotline Miami, Saints' Row) but not really any serial killer games.

EDIT:
Just a page ago you wrote your plan for a dictator-killing game, which covers similar territory.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: July 07, 2015, 10:00:06 am »

EDIT:

well there's manhunter.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: July 07, 2015, 12:16:12 pm »

You've suggested a wanton murder simulator at least once before.

No no, there's already plenty of those (the Postal series, the GTA series, etc.)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: July 07, 2015, 03:14:39 pm »

Vague idea but one I think could work well in practice:

Take a handcrafted story and put it into a more procedural game.  But instead of the full story being there every time, you have different story events happen depending on the conditions of the game, and there are multiple endings.  The actual gameplay areas are all procedurally generated although the general gist of them will follow what's going on in the plot, that way you can have a branching plot without having to handcraft a million different levels no one will ever see.  BUT, due to the randomness of the game, you can't possibly see the majority of the story content on the first playthrough.

So, to apply the concept to something like Xcom, you have a party consisting of unique characters that are the same each playthrough.  But its random which ones you meet, and they can leave/rejoin the party or die as the game goes on.  So alongside the main storyline, you have conversations that are triggered if certain conditions are met.  If two specific characters are in the party they have a conversation, if a certain character is dead at a certain point someone talks about it.  Sometimes depending on how these side plots are going options open or close in the main plotline.

Basically, it would be a way of adding a character based plot to a game like FTL or Xcom.  Each game would be sort of like fanfic for all the other ones; it would be the same general story but things would turn out very differently, and each playthrough would reveal new dialogue and story directions that weren't there in the previous ones.
You don't need unique characters.  Give randomly generated characters archetypes/traits.  Make random events/event chains based on archetypes/traits/conditions of living characters interacting with each other. Continuity for those event chains are a must, that includes death closing off the event chain or steering that event chain elsewhere and/or having some sort of follow through that would continue the event to a different or same-ish conclusion.
Of course, to get away from the generic repeat again and again thing cheapening the experience.  Each individual event chain can only trigger once per playthrough...

So you can still have your handcrafted story, but it would emerge from your people surviving long enough to have one... and the story will change upon their demise. (If there is perma-death anyways.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: July 07, 2015, 04:19:55 pm »

I've imagined for awhile now a game that is in the style of fire emblem with top-down, turn-based strategic unit warfare, but instead of individual units they'd be groups of 1-5 characters you'd select in that stage's setup phase, and whenever units fought the game would focus in and you'd control that group of characters in more traditional RPG-style (like outta Final Fantasy or something) that'd last for one round before zooming out and continuing the strategy portion.

I don't know if anything like that exists, all the most recent Fire Emblems have been disappointing so I always get caught up in what *I* would have done.
I knew I knew one game that did that! Bahamut Lagoon for the SNES(Japan only, but there's a fanlation)! Game is crazy, there's that individual in tactical/party in battle thing, dragons you control indirectly with orders and elemental magic affects the battlefield(ice freezes water, making bridges, thunder destroys trees I think and I forgot what fire does :P). Well worth a try I'd say.

And then there's gemfire, where your individual units are really whole army units but you have no agency over combat, you just tell them what to attack in tactical mode and the game autoresolves how many on each side dies. Yggdra Union does something simmilar IIRC, but I wouldn't be surprised if another game in the "series" did exactly what you want though, they tend to have weird battle systems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOSZ_hJ6bY Last remnant is the closest i can think of.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: July 07, 2015, 04:33:02 pm »

I want to see a fully-modded, fully-playable version of DTG2's Godcraft server pack, complete with the Godmodder's anti-lag and anti-run-out-of-power stuff.  Of course, since the number of items involved would probably exceed the integer limit in Java...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: July 08, 2015, 12:04:32 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvOSZ_hJ6bY Last remnant is the closest i can think of.

Last Remnant was one of the first games I played when I got my Xbox 360, and I hated it with a fiery passion. The text was small, like baby ant small. Apparently I was expected to have been running the game on a 40+ inch high def wide screen television, cause the text was illegibly small on my regular tv.

When it got to the combat tutorial, I was kinda disgusted with how overly flashy and overdesigned the interface and general gameplay was. Then the game crashed as I was about to leave the beginning portion of the game. I never shelved a game faster than Last Remnant before or since.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: July 08, 2015, 08:37:29 am »

I'd like a kind of Pokemon/Tomagotchi thing for iOS and Android where you can battle other player's creatures as you raise and train your own, but where your 'mon is generated by factors outside of your control and cannot be re-rolled. The traits it has and the transformations it undergoes are completely hidden at the start, much like a real pet, and once it dies of old age it cannot be recalled.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: July 08, 2015, 02:39:00 pm »

EDIT:
So Serial Killer game, is kinda of a strange thing. When I was working on one, it just turns into a forensic simulator. There a few neat mechanics for having the driving need to kill. And its a game that eventually spiral into a loss. As the character lucidity can't recover fully. The world grows monotone, as the only thing in the world that is colorful is your victim. You kill the victim, the world goes into color again. Talking to folks, take lucidity. (Which I've experimented into making it the conversation a puzzle game, that gets harder, as you have less lucidity and losing represents being kurt and blunt.)

But a lot the mechanics come in, leaving evidence behind and avoiding eye witness.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: July 08, 2015, 02:48:46 pm »

EDIT:
So Serial Killer game, is kinda of a strange thing. When I was working on one, it just turns into a forensic simulator. There a few neat mechanics for having the driving need to kill. And its a game that eventually spiral into a loss. As the character lucidity can't recover fully. The world grows monotone, as the only thing in the world that is colorful is your victim. You kill the victim, the world goes into color again. Talking to folks, take lucidity. (Which I've experimented into making it the conversation a puzzle game, that gets harder, as you have less lucidity and losing represents being kurt and blunt.)

But a lot the mechanics come in, leaving evidence behind and avoiding eye witness.

That sounds rather terrifyingly good actually.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: July 08, 2015, 02:52:53 pm »

EDIT:
Yandere simulator.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: July 08, 2015, 03:06:27 pm »

YandereDev is so great. His voice is soothing to an absurd degree.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 577