Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596232 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I have to say, I really do like the DF approach that allows the player to get to know a specific world. I know it's "realistic" (in literally the most morbid, existential treatment I've ever seen in a game) that when you die, you can never again experience the world. I'm just not sure that that is going to be a good idea for something that is presumably fun.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would there be a way to, instead of deleting the world, just delete the parts pertinent to the storyline? Say, for example, the ziggurats hold the key to the holy macguffin. Would it be possible to have those or the items/art important to the story be deleted instead? This way you can still experience the unique world that's been created and interact freely with it, but not be able to power through the storyline.

Or maybe there could be an extra couple options for worldgen, Storyline Elements and Auto-World Deleting or something to that effect.

I ask because I think it'd be a shame not to experience the unique and admittedly sexy worlds to the fullest extent, but I do get what you're doing with the permadeath and think one of these might be a good compromise.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile

What happens when you complete the story? does the world get deleted (which would be hella lame), or does it open up into "undirected" gameplay? Also, do you have to follow the story, or could you go off adventuring while the story waits for you to pick it back up?
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Could you have an option to gen the world with story or not? Because that would be pretty awesome.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, there's something I'd like to suggest isn't done: If the world does get deleted or the storyline somehow ends with the death of the character or world, don't Fallout 3 it. By which I mean make sure the player knows where the point of no return is, and that there is one.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

aw, i was hoping the lineage idea would catch on; continuing to play as long as you have a direct descendant

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Not knowing how you plan to tell your story nor what it will be, Its a bit hard to properly advice.
Consider following games:
Oblivion & Skyrim; Open world, go wherever you want whenever. Linear story, Npc's waiting for you to talk to them so they can give you a task with no options.
Fallout 1 & 2; Open world, Go wherever you want but face the consequences because wherever does not care if you carry a rock or a minigun. Multi-path story, Events wait for you to arrive but your actions determines the result.
Dwarf fortress; Open world, Go wherever you want but the RNG rules supreme. No story or events, The RNG and you decide your story.
Planescape torment; Sequential world, Travel between unlocked areas. Multi-path story, Actions have a bigger influence over future events than any other game I know, not to mention the 5-15 dialogue options every time you get to input and a great story.

From the little you've written about your story, It seems like treasure hunting. Find a part of the puzzle that the RNG decides to give you then track down the rest.

In my experience, Open world games should have events that appears depending on ingame criteria which with what the player decides to do and what events occur will decide the story.
To tell a good story you need to restrict the player to a predictable path but you create different branches for the player to take.

I think the Bethesda model is a very solid one. I want a little more story direction than they give, and have more of the world connected to the central story, but not much more. Secondly, re: your "from the little you've written" comment and treasure hunting, clearly I gave the wrong impression, as that is precisely the opposite of what I want! In this release, that will be the focus, but that's only because I've been working on the basic components of one particular dungeon type this time. The way you put this:

To tell a good story you need to restrict the player to a predictable path but you create different branches for the player to take.

is precisely what I want! It's just going to take quite a few releases to get us there :)

I have to say, I really do like the DF approach that allows the player to get to know a specific world. I know it's "realistic" (in literally the most morbid, existential treatment I've ever seen in a game) that when you die, you can never again experience the world. I'm just not sure that that is going to be a good idea for something that is presumably fun.

Several things here. Firstly, of course, most classic roguelikes adhere to the one life one world model. Sure, I'm generating more of a world than just a dungeon, but the principle is the same. Secondly, could you say a bit more about what you mean by "fun"? I find the term fun a very troubling word to use to describe games, or at least, to describe the kinds of games I like to play. To me, the word "fun" implies a certain triviality, or a lightness, or something that's just passing entertainment, whereas the games I enjoy playing provide far more concentration, learning and complexity than a passing bit of fun would generally imply. I want a game that is highly "enjoyable" for people who want the kind of challenge I'm trying to make, but depending on your definition of fun, I may or may not want to pursue that particular goal :).

Would there be a way to, instead of deleting the world, just delete the parts pertinent to the storyline? Say, for example, the ziggurats hold the key to the holy macguffin. Would it be possible to have those or the items/art important to the story be deleted instead? This way you can still experience the unique world that's been created and interact freely with it, but not be able to power through the storyline.

Or maybe there could be an extra couple options for worldgen, Storyline Elements and Auto-World Deleting or something to that effect.

I ask because I think it'd be a shame not to experience the unique and admittedly sexy worlds to the fullest extent, but I do get what you're doing with the permadeath and think one of these might be a good compromise.

An interesting question, and one I'm not sure I can give an answer to yet beyond: maybe. I'm not sure to what extent that would leave that much to do, though - a lot of the game mechanics are being subtly reworked in my head at the moment in much more focused and interesting ways around a central plot. Nevertheless, it's a very interesting idea, and don't think I'm dismissing it. I'd just have to think a lot about how I could make it work.

What happens when you complete the story? does the world get deleted (which would be hella lame), or does it open up into "undirected" gameplay? Also, do you have to follow the story, or could you go off adventuring while the story waits for you to pick it back up?

Well... completing the story in every other game "deletes" the world! Or at least, certainly in every other classic roguelike. Ascending in Nethack or Crawl, or closing the portal in Adom, or whatever, deletes that particular world for good. As I say, whilst the world will be open, the gameplay is now going to be a little more focused and directed, and much of the exploration aspects will be focused around both discovery, but also "gearing up" (think mass effect 2 squads, or x-com at the strategic level) and moving forward in the plot. However, depending on how the plot pans out, I suppose it could potentially open up at the end. I very much intend to allow you to pursue your own directions in the game, but much of what you encounter will be tied to some key central themes. Sorry if that's vague, but I'm still partly working it out in my design documents myself!

Could you have an option to gen the world with story or not? Because that would be pretty awesome.

I'm afraid not. That would be a lot of extra effort away from the main direction I want to take. However, rest assured the story is not high fantasy swords and sorcery fare; I'm hoping it will be something sufficiently interesting to interest people not always interested in stories, but also told in a very Dark-Souls-esque way, so if you want to largely bypass the details, that should also be possible. I enjoy having to actively seek out stories myself, and that's the kind of feeling I want to emulate.

Ooh, there's something I'd like to suggest isn't done: If the world does get deleted or the storyline somehow ends with the death of the character or world, don't Fallout 3 it. By which I mean make sure the player knows where the point of no return is, and that there is one.

Agreed. Points of no return are absolutely, utterly, essential to highlight, especially in permadeath or no-reload games.

aw, i was hoping the lineage idea would catch on; continuing to play as long as you have a direct descendant

'fraid not, unless things change. But we'll see. Once ziggurats are out, I'm then going to be working on history and civilization generation for a few months, and things could change in that period. But I feel very confident about the game I can see cohering in my head at the moment!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:13:17 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the Bethesda model is a very solid one. I want a little more story direction than they give, and have more of the world connected to the central story, but not much more.
And, In my opinion, The story telling of bethsedas games sucks. I did oblivions main quest and finished it at.. level 5 perhaps? I can't even remember the story. I never even finished the plot of Skyrim and only tend to do quests from npcs if theres a reward I desire.
I should probably mention that I mod Beth games and that i mostly roam the world in the way that currently pleases me, building character and piling up loot
What is it you intend to do with the open world you are generating? Is it the stage for traveling between/finding the different story dungeons and having random encounters on the way?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:21:03 am by Ivefan »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

I think the Bethesda model is a very solid one. I want a little more story direction than they give, and have more of the world connected to the central story, but not much more.
And, In my opinion, The story telling of bethsedas games sucks. I did oblivions main quest and finished it at.. level 5 perhaps? I can't even remember the story. I never even finished the plot of Skyrim and only tend to do quests from npcs if theres a reward I desire.
I should probably mention that I mod Beth games and that i mostly roam the world in the way that currently pleases me, building character and piling up loot
What is it you intend to do with the open world you are generating? Is it the stage for traveling between/finding the different story dungeons and having random encounters on the way?

Heh - I agree, I think the actual storytelling is pretty awful. Some of the faction plots in Skyrim weren't bad, but the main plots have always been pretty bad. But I think the model is a good one, though they don't do it very well. As for your second question about the purpose of the open world... that's a difficult one to answer. It is a stage for travelling; it will have encounters (though of a very particular sort); it will hopefully provide a suitably interesting and interconnected world that your objectives and intentions can be approached in a lot of different ways, and I want to give a lot of value towards exploring on your own, as you may find things that are of use to you. It is also to provide a lot of the detail of the story; much of its details will be generated anew each time, and I want you to be able to explore and come across all these historical sites, great battles, famous cities and the like. As I say, I want a lot of the story to be "in the background" and garned by exploring and finding all these sites (and sights).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:59:54 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

Here's a nice staircase for you, INTERNET PEOPLE:

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile

Here's a nice staircase for you, INTERNET PEOPLE:

Holy crap.

I've been watching this mostly for the interesting gameplay, but... dat art.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I'm kind of hoping that this game will be about exploring all the ruins and finding the final boss (or whatever) in the same way that DF is about getting the nobles up to the king, digging to hell and fighting demons. That is the path that follows the natural power/difficulty curve of the game, but it's not the only thing that there is to do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile

URR changed a lot at some point. There was a moment in development many months ago where it seemed plausible to rock around the world, being Genghis Khan. I'm not sure Ultima Ratio Regum applies any more...

Don't get me wrong, I'm still watching and waiting with eagerness, but I may need to continue the search for the game that URR was.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

URR changed a lot at some point. There was a moment in development many months ago where it seemed plausible to rock around the world, being Genghis Khan. I'm not sure Ultima Ratio Regum applies any more...

Don't get me wrong, I'm still watching and waiting with eagerness, but I may need to continue the search for the game that URR was.
That one that's on haitus looks pretty good.
Being developed by a b12ite. Kind of like URR but set in the stone age and I believe that the guy was just finishing up trading framework before he left for exam reasons.

EDIT: Here we go. It's called Iron Testament.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:41:15 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

I've been watching this mostly for the interesting gameplay, but... dat art.

Thanks! Check the last bit of this reply for a bit more!

I'm kind of hoping that this game will be about exploring all the ruins and finding the final boss (or whatever) in the same way that DF is about getting the nobles up to the king, digging to hell and fighting demons. That is the path that follows the natural power/difficulty curve of the game, but it's not the only thing that there is to do.

Your second sentence sums it up perfectly. That's very much what I'd like to get going - that you need to "build things up", gain allies, gain stats, and you can follow the plot directly/indirectly. Vaguely like the new XCOM game, in that there are "story" progressions, and none-story progressions, but each builds up your power and the difficulty.

It really has. I know what you mean, and I'm sad if it's no longer quite what you're after, though obviously one man's ideal game will never map perfectly to another :). I just find with a project as big, long and time-consuming as this, I have to develop in the direction I'm passionate about, and if that changes, I have to follow the change. It's funny you mention that about the name, as the exact same thing has occurred to me! There will still be armies, in one form, but you're right, it's no longer a totally logical name. But I like it, people are used to it, and it's a cool name, so it's staying.

Meanwhile, doing insane levels of bug-fixing and tweaking, and working on some basic mechanics for languages - for this release the player can read all languages, but here's an example of a generated inscription (with the translation hidden, for now!):

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 221