Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 803733 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #1980 on: March 22, 2012, 08:16:19 pm »

The TVTropes entry is looking better!  Hooray!  I especially like how I've been quoted by someone other than me.

So, in that picture, I noticed an even more massive set of levers than the one I put in.  I heartily approve.  At a rough estimate, how many of them will kill everyone?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 22, 2012, 08:47:57 pm »

So, in that picture, I noticed an even more massive set of levers than the one I put in.  I heartily approve.  At a rough estimate, how many of them will kill everyone?

I think a better question would be "how many won't kill everyone", in DF in general and Battlefailed forts in particular. :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 22, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »

Master of Disguise: That Aussie Dwarf. And because they're dwarves, Wig, Dress, Accent works marvelously.

D'awww, you guys  :D

I would also like to direct your attention to the newly created WMG page.

Bwahahahaha.  I'm surprised you haven't done a page for Swordthunders, honestly.

So, I am SUDDENLY dead, my turn is marked as skipped and my Crusher is fucked up. Fucking fuck.

Also, why the fuck did you delete all the notes? :-/

Why would we want a calm, organized fort with recognizable levers of death, when instead we could have a russian roulette of lethal curiosity for an overseer later down the line?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:13:25 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 22, 2012, 09:12:37 pm »

The best part about the big succession games is it actually feels like you're making history, both in the game world and in the community.

This is what I love about DF.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:03 pm »

The best part about the big succession games is it actually feels like that you're actually making history, both in the game world and in the community.

This is what I love about DF.
FTFY
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:14 pm »

Hehe, true.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 22, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »

I agree with that as well.

If its done right, you can see each overseer's personality and effect on the fort. Sometimes this creates a very interesting look on the forts.

In example, when Headshoots split into the west and east halves. That was probably one of my favorite parts of the story. The thought of half the fort surviving and the other half becoming a No Man's Dwarf's Land was a very compelling story event. I also like how Battlefailed did something similar when they retreated into the depths of the Lower Fort. A creative writer can suck the lifeblood out of a setting like that. I'm not that great of a writer, but I have a good imagination and can see the potential in it.

My current favorite in terms of story taking advantage of the setting and events DF provides is Gemclod. It provides a rich character-driven story, where a single character is built up over time by several different overseers. They show his emotion, play with his personality and religious paradox, as well as show the effect of his relationship with several other major characters. The funny part about it is that the story pretty much ends shortly after the game kills the dwarf. It didn't wind down or anything it just happened to last a little longer than the character with the last chapters feeling like the breath before the plunge. That wasn't the only big character, but instead one of many. There were character arcs dealing with all the overseers and a few side characters and generally the next overseers in the chain did a very good job of keeping the previously established characters in-character. The best part is these guys pretty much played with the events that were handed to them each in their own way. It forms a rather oddly cohesive story despite the randomness of DF and the general insanity of anyone playing the game.

The Battlefailed series story is pretty good and sometime I need to reread it again. Honestly, I would like to see someone sit down and get a good succession fort story and polish it into a publish-able form. I would do it, if I was good enough at writing...

Either way, I am looking forward to my turn at the helm... which is still a while yet, but I'm excited to participate in a succession fort for the first time.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 23, 2012, 12:43:55 am »

You think too much :P

However;
The best part is these guys pretty much played with the events that were handed to them each in their own way. It forms a rather oddly cohesive story despite the randomness of DF and the general insanity of anyone playing the game.

This is perfect. That's exactly what I love about DF succession forts and Battlefailed/Failcannon in specific. There wasn't a lot of meta-gaming, but rather there was the interpretation of events in a manner that could be ever-so-vaguely logical, and it was good. The lower ratio of this to everything else in Hellcannon has been a big downer for me in Hellcannon. I even felt bad that I couldn't do much of it with my own turn this time, because I was so short on time between school and keeping my cat healthy, and honestly I don't like a lot of what I wrote. :-\
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 23, 2012, 12:56:40 am »

Boatmurdered was my intro.

Headshoots and Syrupleaf my tutorial.

And the battlefailed series my growth.

I HAVE FINALLY COME INTO MY OWN AS A DF PLAYER!
I ought to take part in a succession fort one of these days, like properly sign up for one. :P

Or BFIV, if that comes around before I can't play anymore.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:43 pm »

hey, I want a dorf for this madness! any free sap volunteer for the military with the profession goremaster
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 23, 2012, 02:15:29 pm »

Though I am on the continual redorf list, requesting just to make sure.
Conchobar IV - Axedwarf/Siege Engineer - Revengineer - N/A

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 24, 2012, 04:13:55 pm »

1st Granite, 214:

Quite a bit has happened since the last update, but mostly in the winter, hence Autumn didn't earn it's own post. But since it didn't, let's just say it was quite a breather episode in the overall scheme of things. Dwarves came and went, I gave them ~20k dwarfbucks of tribute, flipped a wrong lever when they were leaving, and now all of our offerings are in the aquifer. Who said I made any notes for myself? Did rebuild the depot just the right way in case my successor ever figures out which lever collapses it. Oh, and something intriguing happened - dwarves apparently have wagons now. Didn't screencap it, but the game basically claimed they do have wagons in the land where they simply do not exist and they have bypassed us because I messed with the entrance enough to turn it from a 3 tile wide one to a single tile one.

For the Winter, I managed to finish everything I planned to do with this fort and were just letting them idle until the season ended, but the siege came early and their "command" squad, complete with demonic master and all, fully riding giant rats and olms, ran straight into the anti-skelk weapon traps in the west. That somehow made the mounts hostile towards the riders and the thing just turned into a magnificent crescendo of limbs flying everywhere, either caused by goblins fighting mounts, the other way 'round, and the odd serrated blade wrecking things. Squad arriving from the east consisted mostly of hammerers, with the sole exception of a speargoblin, but it did mostly nothing other than getting attacked by a rather big pack of skelks and ran away after the northern one was dispatched. And speaking of it - that's the best part of the siege right there. I sent out the military to deal with whatever was left of the western squad, and they did so successfully, without even a single hit delivered according to their health. But Gizogin was missing. Via unit screen I've looked him up, and he was right in the northern squad, in martial trance, wrecking everything around him. Tried to send the rest of the squad to him, but there was a huge bout of trolls in the way that managed to stall them until both Gizogin and an unnamed legendary were downed of overexertion. The former managed to rack up 21 kills before falling, the latter over 15, both have been granted tombs that respect that. Quickly after, the goblins fled and the siege of 213 was broken. A few new soldiers were recruited to bring the squad back to 7 dwarves strong, they should be ready to repel the next year's one. An interesting note - the unnamed legendary has spontaneously revived, yet has succumbed to suffocation a few days later, much like Puwuncobi did. Didn't start a spiral of revivals and suffocations, though, it may be related to the fact I unforbid the corpse... Someone should be able to spin that into a plot point somehow.

In other news. The anti-skelk defences have been stalled, due to the lack of metal needed to construct it - it's quite a major point of them that the serrated disks in them are to be constructed of silver, and if it's unavailable, copper. Both metals have been exhausted as I'm writing this, though we have a bunch of veins available to be mined and processed in plain sight, and we do have better weapons-grade metal available - bronze in abundance, steel in respectable amounts, and about 60 bars of iron.
Back in Obsidian 212, I've disabled the civilian burrow so I could work on projects on the surface. The civ burrow exists, but I did not update it with the constructions that are safe to visit aboveground, or the ones freshly built. Since I already uploaded the save, I'm afraid I must leave that to my successor.
A lot of people have been dorfed to the best of my ability, with professions matching what they wanted at the time of dorfing - they may have turned from a mechanic into an engraver because I did not pay much heed when using Therapist to make everyone into a wall smoother. Sorry for that, but with less than 30 workers, I were really low on dwarfpower.
I cut down the entire tree farm/pasture to provide wood for an extension of the original DWR meant to power the cannon (Still, I have no idea whenever I should call it the Hellcannon, the Failcannon, or just the cannon. Correct me if you could.) and windmills for the device detailed below.
We also have received another artifact, pictured in the picdump I'll be presenting below. It has inspired me to build another pointless device that will probably kill more of the fortress than the enemies, but hey. It's a strategic device in a world of dwarfdom, what do you expect, at least I don't have a wizard hooked up set of pumps here.

Oh, and using the remainder of my overseer's authority, I am going to request that Kar Puwuncobi is put on the continual redorfing list as an administrative dwarf. Whew, that sure was a wall of text right there. Picdump follows.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the save. And see you next time in another incarnation of Battlefailed, fellas.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:18:58 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: March 24, 2012, 04:29:50 pm »

Wait, is that El Presidente #42?
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 208