Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 299596 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1500 on: October 12, 2015, 11:50:26 pm »

So, I want to begin writing a novel. To start my pre-outline preparations, I'll be testing out the literary laws of my world in an experimental short story... Along with figuring out the tone, the people, the world, etc. I've been sitting on this idea for many years now I think I finally want to start writing that first draft.

The first problem that's come up is technology. Specifically, guns. The setting is post-apocalyptic USA, some 500 years after the collapse of sovereign states worldwide due to mass economic, political, and social problems leading to a general loss of knowledge concerning chemistry, manufacturing, and production. I'd like to explore the idea of the worship of technology much like Asimov's Foundation or even in a W40k-esque way. What I want to be able to (at least somewhat logically) arrive at is the general disadvantage of firearms... They may even still be widespread, but melee combat is much more prevalent--if not dominant--in this world. A world where fast-moving armor is the ultimate cavalry force, but lacks heavy machine guns, main battle cannons, or other such highly-specialized weaponry. In the same world, fortifications are again relevant, horse-mounted cavalry ride alongside tanks, and large infantry formations are back in the field. The themes should add up to a twist on medieval warfare, with traces of the 18th and 19th centuries, bundled with some of the left over equipment of the modern day.

So my first thought was to get rid of firearms entirely... but how? Metal is in abundance, especially after a decline in urban populations and mass scavenging. Gunpowder can almost always be produced in some form... So that's not going to work.

Then, I thought, well why not make firearms irrelevant? Technology like highly advanced armor perhaps? Sure, but how and where? The world has lost too much to be able to produce advanced, bullet-stopping armor en masse. Ok, forcefields like those found in Dune or Forever War? I feel like that's taking artistic license too far, and somewhat of a non-sequitor.

My final thought was to allow a degree of relatively primitive firearms, but that leaves n0 reason to regress to a melee dominant system of warfare.

So where do I go from here, what do you think? Ideally, i'd like to end up in a place where the average soldier is heavily armored and equipped with some manner of melee weapon, tanks are the ultimate form of heavy cavalry, and only crude artillery and explosives exist with any kind of commonality.

Put it this way. A lot of very early gun-based warfare involved firing lines + blades. The guns generally took too much time to reload - even experienced soldiers took ~30 seconds to reload a musket or a blunderbuss, and were somewhat inaccurate due to their lack of rifling (and often irregularly shaped lead shot). Thus, you could theoretically have the musket + blunderbuss as the primary infantry weapon, with most carrying bayonet blades or cavalry sabres as backups.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 13, 2015, 09:55:12 am »

Tried a Shakespearean Sonnet! What thinkst thou?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 14, 2015, 04:28:41 am »

Can someone please look at it? I don't get any criticism on my poetry, and I think I need criticism to help me grow :/

I'd appreciate it. I want you to say bad things about what I do. Who wouldn't want to make another person depressed? :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 14, 2015, 07:39:01 am »

Um.

Seems alright?

Not having any experience with Shakespearian sonnets, I can't really judge, and I don't tend to care for it normally, so I can't judge quality overmuch.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 14, 2015, 09:34:49 am »

Can someone please look at it? I don't get any criticism on my poetry, and I think I need criticism to help me grow :/

I'd appreciate it. I want you to say bad things about what I do. Who wouldn't want to make another person depressed? :P

It's good, write some more of them. Try using the sonnet and your shakespearian language to write about contemporary subjects, or stuff out-of-the-ordinary for Shakespeare to write about, the challenges imposed by that caveat will raise your sonnet game to new levels my friend!

It's a sonnet, so form and all that, but try varying that iambic pentameter more. Anywhere between 4  and-a-half and 5 and-a-half iambs work for the bulk of lines, but Shakespeare wasn't overly concerned with that at the beginnings or end of his works so he could create more striking statements.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 14, 2015, 08:29:23 pm »

Put it this way. A lot of very early gun-based warfare involved firing lines + blades. The guns generally took too much time to reload - even experienced soldiers took ~30 seconds to reload a musket or a blunderbuss, and were somewhat inaccurate due to their lack of rifling (and often irregularly shaped lead shot). Thus, you could theoretically have the musket + blunderbuss as the primary infantry weapon, with most carrying bayonet blades or cavalry sabres as backups.

I've done my research. I just wanted to find alternate solutions to this one. Honestly, I think the way it may end up is a little grimdark, 40k-ish. Modern(isn) weaponry, heavy armor, heavy artillery, just hell. Packed with huge formations and the like. I don't know. I might try and refine my idea, because i'm really getting hung up on this.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 15, 2015, 03:03:34 am »

It's good, write some more of them. Try using the sonnet and your shakespearian language to write about contemporary subjects, or stuff out-of-the-ordinary for Shakespeare to write about, the challenges imposed by that caveat will raise your sonnet game to new levels my friend!

It's a sonnet, so form and all that, but try varying that iambic pentameter more. Anywhere between 4  and-a-half and 5 and-a-half iambs work for the bulk of lines, but Shakespeare wasn't overly concerned with that at the beginnings or end of his works so he could create more striking statements.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely try a bit of variation. I suppose it's something along the lines of "the rule is only interesting where it's broken."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 15, 2015, 05:12:03 am »

I've done my research. I just wanted to find alternate solutions to this one. Honestly, I think the way it may end up is a little grimdark, 40k-ish. Modern(isn) weaponry, heavy armor, heavy artillery, just hell. Packed with huge formations and the like. I don't know. I might try and refine my idea, because i'm really getting hung up on this.

Perhaps more WW1 era? Where rifles were mainly bolt action, lance cavalry still got used (if generally unsuccessfully), an era of heavy artillery. Large formations still got used until things bogged down into trench warfare.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: October 15, 2015, 09:41:23 am »

Perhaps more WW1 era? Where rifles were mainly bolt action, lance cavalry still got used (if generally unsuccessfully), an era of heavy artillery. Large formations still got used until things bogged down into trench warfare.

This is probably what i'll kind of settle on. Not exactly, but it works for the context of the story I think, and I think that it might be easier to explain how humanity could get back to that specific level of knowledge after an almost complete apocalypse.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 15, 2015, 04:18:09 pm »

I don't understand the "And yet." The first stanza talks about this mistress' eyes, how beautiful and big they are - okay. The next stanza says how lustful she makes the speaker feel - okay. The "and yet," though, suggests that these are somehow opposed; but it seems to me that physical beauty (the eyes) and sexual desirability (lust) are pretty closely linked. If you're saying that "love" and "lust" are opposed, that makes sense, but in that case I'd praise something more spiritual/non-physical than her eyes in the first stanza. If, on the other hand, you're saying that "beauty" and "lust" are opposed, I can also see that, but I want more detail - I get lust as "base" and "tempestuous," but I don't get such a qualitative judgement of beauty; and again, I get a solid physical image for beauty, but I only get abstract language for lust. The two stanzas should work more as a compare/contrast than they are now. And, probably, the second stanza should end with a full stop, to end the idea.

The third stanza should of course have the volta, which you already have, but it could be stronger. Your narrator, having described his mistress in terms of this contrast between love/lust or beauty/lust, rejects both of these and indicates the joy of companionship as the chief end of romance. At least I think that's what your getting at.

While we're on sonnets, here's one of my own:
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 17, 2015, 12:50:02 pm »

For all aspiring poets, i've found that allpoetry.com is a really great site to get feedback and inspiration on. Check it out.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: October 17, 2015, 01:27:44 pm »

I don't understand the "And yet."

The "and yet" was meant not as a comment on that, so much as saying that the mistress may have beauty, but it is a false thing. Sort of a "you are beautiful, and yet your beauty is a false thing. It tempts only the base." I'm saying love is lost in the lust, in the second stanza. The first stanza says that she's beautiful. The second that it's only lust, and base. The third is saying, essentially "f*** it. If you'd be with me I wouldn't care for any of that." She would still be cared for. The final couplet says, essentially, to hell with both love and lust. Happiness is all that matters.

Your advice on the abstract/physical, and the separation of ideas in stanzas is good advice. I'll take it on board for the future! To be honest, I need to keep that sort of thing in mind more often. I tend to write and then think afterwards :P

Traditionally the couplet at the end is meant to rhyme, but that is of course optional - I don't know if you left it out deliberately or not. "Two paces' worth" should probably be "two paces worth."
The message is one that I like. Many argue that the sonnet is the love form of poetry - of course it isn't just that. It is often used for other things, and the contrast between the typical love poem and the poem that is different can be quite striking. Speaking, as you are, of the grave, and how actions are all that count, not possessions, is interesting in that context. You slip the metre in the third to last line, "into heav'n." The extra syllable would not matter so much, were it not for the apostrophe which I feel limits its ability to rhyme with "men."

The only question I would have is who the borrowed eyes belong to?

For all aspiring poets, i've found that allpoetry.com is a really great site to get feedback and inspiration on. Check it out.
Thanks for sharing! Definitely looking into this.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: October 21, 2015, 04:15:51 am »

I wrote something about pies and the universe. It's mostly rambling so read and/or review at your own risk.

Spoiler: Pies and the Universe (click to show/hide)

Just because you read it at your own risk doesn't mean that you can't read it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:17:41 am by Gamedragon »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 04, 2015, 08:16:23 pm »

"Unless soul clap its hands and sing" a man
More great than many I could name
Once said. What soul is there in tin or can,
When flesh is iron, bone is steel - the same?
Call me a coward if you wish, to not
Embrace the whirring of the cog for heart -
Does metal cry at you from its small cot,
Does it possess a love for light and art?
Perhaps I am too hard upon a bot
That only has the crime of being made
And not created by a self professing God.
What could that man, by fairest chance, have said?

Unless soul clap its hands and sing. Well, ring
Your bell, unstop your cogs, but can you sing?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1514 on: November 05, 2015, 04:55:12 pm »

So out of boredom I'm poking at a project every now and then. Basically I want to wrote a 'holy book' for a setting, acting as the creation story and introducing/describing the central ideas and entities.

Calling it "Sermons of the Teacher", so far I have 3 of them. They're all intended to be fairly short, fit on a page or less in Google Docs.

Spoiler: Sermon One (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sermon Two (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sermon Three (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:02:18 pm by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 130