Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2265 2266 [2267] 2268 2269 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5896736 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #33990 on: April 06, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »

Somehow, Armok be darned, my fort got a demon on its side, as an animal.
It's a skinless pterosaur and, honestly, is useless, so I'm having it slaughtered for the lulz.
Its bones will probably be worth a fortune.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33991 on: April 06, 2014, 07:18:08 pm »

Masterwork fort continues slowly since I haven't picked it up in a while. There's a very shallow waterfall that, with some grates, I can use to catch large river fish such as carp and sturgeon.

I've also decided to use light infantry only except for maybe a single squad. Which means no plate armor for anyone but the one squad. Should be FUN!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33992 on: April 06, 2014, 08:47:46 pm »

I thought dropping 5 floors over the heads of the nobles would destroy the bodies, but it didnt.

On unrelated news my borehole has reached the bottom of the first cavern layer. Since it has water i'll have to wait for it to freeze to keep digging.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33993 on: April 07, 2014, 12:50:03 am »

In my newest fort I found a nice relatively-safe spot to enter the first cavern layer; fairly enclosed area that's only connected to the rest by a lake with no ramps.
Also, two soldiers got injured while fighting some wild drakes (a drake in Masterwork is _not_ a male duck). One got a scratch on his hand, and the other got her hand torn off. Guess which one went to bed in the hospital and which one went straight back to sparring?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33994 on: April 07, 2014, 02:47:20 am »

In my newest fort I found a nice relatively-safe spot to enter the first cavern layer; fairly enclosed area that's only connected to the rest by a lake with no ramps.
Also, two soldiers got injured while fighting some wild drakes (a drake in Masterwork is _not_ a male duck). One got a scratch on his hand, and the other got her hand torn off. Guess which one went to bed in the hospital and which one went straight back to sparring?
Okay, okay... on one hand (haha) it would be more logical for the now-handless dwarf to head to hospital, however being Dwarf Fortress, I would have to guess that the scratched-hand dwarf decided hospital was a good idea. Then that could be too obvious. Perhaps it's a trick, to get me to say "oh, scratched-hand dwarf is in hospital" when in reality it's the missing-hand dwarf. Then again, that could also be the intended response, bringing it back to the scratched-hand dwarf who says I am overthinking it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33995 on: April 07, 2014, 03:57:00 am »

The handless dwarf probably figured that sure, her hand is over there now, but it's not really damaged, so she's fine!

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33996 on: April 07, 2014, 04:52:48 am »

So Dwarf Therapist has one of my dwarves marked as "Novice UNKNOWN" - any ideas?
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33997 on: April 07, 2014, 06:40:38 am »

Does Therapist need explicit support for skills added by mods, or just take the information from the raws?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #33998 on: April 07, 2014, 08:45:31 am »

I'm learning the joys of trying to mine the caverns. Elk birds continuously kill my haulers. It's kind of infuriating, as I'm on a tundra with no soil layer and need those caverns for farming and woodcutting.
I also found a ton of dead troglodytes and I'm not sure what killed them. Uh-oh...

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33999 on: April 07, 2014, 10:20:30 am »

I'm learning the joys of trying to mine the caverns. Elk birds continuously kill my haulers. It's kind of infuriating, as I'm on a tundra with no soil layer and need those caverns for farming and woodcutting.
I also found a ton of dead troglodytes and I'm not sure what killed them. Uh-oh...
Elk birds are pretty wimpy; a few wrestlers in a squad should make short work of them.

The troglodytes are more worrying, and in any case, you'll get forgotten beast visits eventually, so to be on the safe side, you should wall off as much of the cavern as you need. Don't forget to make multi-level walls up to the cavern ceiling, otherwise fliers can bypass them.

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34000 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:38 am »

I built a large magma canon out of glass pointing at the sea to declare war on the ocean and build an obsidian and glass fortress on the seabed. It even has a highly pressurised reservoir just before the barrel. I'd be killer if invaders could use boats.

But the ocean laughs at me, all I've created is a surface platform support by a few small obsidian pillars. Far from my dream of a home under waves. I can't even get at the pillars to mine them out and bring the whole platform down. Looks like I'm going to have to try a much more controlled method.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Maybe it's time to drain the ocean into the caverns.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:54:38 am by blapnk »

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34001 on: April 07, 2014, 12:41:39 pm »

seven years have passed since i made the fort,and the only thing close to opposition i fought were some cavern critters and a half-assed forgotten beast.not a single thief yet.it's so boring!!!

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34002 on: April 07, 2014, 12:48:47 pm »

Migrants ambushed by a squad of goblin spearmen. Send out the defence squad to protect the trader lingering at the edge of the map. They run into a squad of lashers. One casualty. A speardwarf who got his left wrist bone chipped and dropped his shield. You'd think that would be the part of the body least likely to get hit, wouldn't you? But though he's in extreme pain he should survive with medical attention, so I make sure to remove all other labours on my medical chief and then go back to watching the battle. Halfway through the after-combat cleanup, I check on Chippy McSpear. He's been brought to bed, but the medical chief is on break. I sigh, and reactivate CMD's hauling duties and go to deactivate hauling on his deputy. Deputy is also on break.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34003 on: April 07, 2014, 01:22:06 pm »

Coalsculpted has reached it's lowest point in 6 years. The last ambush was a phyrric victory, over half the military was slaughtered and about ten civies got caught up in the mix. I had to draft randoms to fill out the ranks but they finally broke rank and the day was won. In the aftermath we have babies becoming suicidal, freshly armed militiadwarves flying into homocidal frenzys, and doctors tearing the beds out from under patients.

Someone just walked up to the guard captain to report a crime and then went crazy and shattered his arm with a hammer.

The suicidal dwarves and the homocidal dwarves appear to have formed gangs and are now beefing with one another.

Flying body parts have contaminated the well.

Six one berserk dwarf attacked a stark raving mad dwarf and a dwarf ran up to save him. That dwarf was attacked by two tantruming dwarves and two more tanruming dwarves attacked them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:45:28 pm by Broseph Stalin »

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34004 on: April 07, 2014, 01:52:14 pm »

Coalsculpted has reached it's lowest point in 6 years. The last ambush was a phyrric victory, over half the military was slaughtered and about ten civies got caught up in the mix. I had to draft randoms to fill out the ranks but they finally broke rank and the day was won. In the aftermath we have babies becoming suicidal, freshly armed militiadwarves flying into homocidal frenzys, and doctors tearing the beds out from under patients.

Someone just walked up to the guard captain to report a crime and then went crazy and shattered his arm with a hammer.

The suicidal dwarves and the homocidal dwarves appear to have formed gangs and are now beefing with one another.

Flying body parts have contaminated the well.

Six one berserk dwarf attacked a stark raving mad dwarf and a dwarf ran up to save him. That dwarf was attacked by two tantruming dwarves and two more tanruming dwarves attacked them.

Gave me a chuckle, so atleast their deaths aren't in vain.
Pages: 1 ... 2265 2266 [2267] 2268 2269 ... 3837