Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 702330 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2: Welcome Back, Commander.
« Reply #4020 on: February 05, 2016, 09:47:43 pm »

Welp, that's it.  Let no one say that Xcom went quietly into oblivion.  The last five Xcom soldiers managed to take about twenty enemies with them on their way to whatever slimey hell counts as an afterlife in this universe.  Really wish the base defense mission told you how many aliens you killed.

The base defense mission is epic by the way.  And if you're like me and you think "oh, base defense, no biggie, it'll probably be fun", think again.  Well I mean it is fun, but:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: February 05, 2016, 09:57:54 pm »

Yes, you get more troops if you aren't horribly ruined in troop count. I saw it in EE's lp.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: February 05, 2016, 09:58:24 pm »

Its possible you're supposed to gain additional soldiers as reinforcements or to replace losses, but I didn't have any reserve.  Still managed to gain sight of the objective before my last man was gunned down in cold blood.  Can anyone confirm how the mission is actually supposed to go if you have more troops?[/spoiler]

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: February 05, 2016, 10:01:07 pm »

It's basically an endless buffet if you have bad enough dudes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: February 05, 2016, 11:06:23 pm »

I love that wounded troops are a thing.  In the predecessor I could make do with my A team and a couple of replacements to cycle in whenever someone died.

In this one I have an A team and a B team that keep switching places as one overtakes the other, a C team of lower level dudes to handle the easy missions and another 4 filler characters, and I'm still occasionally unable to field a full squad.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: February 05, 2016, 11:07:37 pm »

The following .ini configuration appears to work pretty well as far as performance improvements are concerned:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/200510/discussions/0/846960628563773260

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: February 05, 2016, 11:26:03 pm »

base defense stuff

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: February 05, 2016, 11:42:29 pm »

Hah, just had my bacon pulled out of the fire by blind luck. Or, more specifically, a soldier with Untouchable that I'd forgotten about.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: February 05, 2016, 11:48:38 pm »

I like how when your grenadier does a round of suppression, there is a growing pile of spent shells at her feet.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: February 05, 2016, 11:58:53 pm »

Neonivek will always find a complaint about a game.  If the game were perfect he would reorganize his definitions so "perfect" means "bad."

Well no.

That is really my only complaint storywise. It feels like a cop-out a way to sidestep making you have the feels since your killing innocent citizens.
Mutants or no, ADVENT soldiers are directly working with the aliens in an oppressive regime, they're neither "innocent" nor "civilians" by any means of the term.

At least at the start of the game how indoctrinated they are is up for grabs. Whether they fully believe in the alien's EVIL plans... or if they are just like... high ranking scientologists who eat the drivel they are told without question because they are particularly favored is up for grabs.

In fact I have yet to see anything that contradicts this ambiguity.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: February 06, 2016, 12:08:26 am »

In XCOM:EU it was clear that all of the alien species were heavily modified from their initial states, especially the Chryssalids and the Thin men. Would you expect them to change that for their human subjects?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4031 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:39 am »

List of WHY:
1. Enemies still get free movement turns when you see them.
2. Obnoxious timers have been shoved onto 80-90% of the missions.
3. Graphics look identical to the old game yet it runs far worse.
4. Stealth, which could be great, is super simplistic. And I find that it often ends up going poorly for me because of issue 1. Hard to do a good ambush when the enemies can just run away and flank you the moment you appear.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: February 06, 2016, 12:17:35 am »

In XCOM:EU it was clear that all of the alien species were heavily modified from their initial states, especially the Chryssalids and the Thin men. Would you expect them to change that for their human subjects?

Try to keep them relatively human looking and using non-outward appearance changing mutations and modification in order to preserve peace.

---

1) Yeah that hurts
2) I personally think it is because if you were calm and careful you could beat pretty much all the missions without them easily.
3) I personally think it is due to the larger maps, more intricate AI, and more advanced map gen
4) There are ways to do it, you need to basically ambush them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:19:28 am by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: February 06, 2016, 12:38:58 am »

Enemies got free movement turns before.  What, would you rather they just stand there in the open and let you kill them immediately?

The optimization is an issue though it seems to be centered around AA.  The game's got some extreme AA settings that basically no computer can handle on maximum.

Still, there's no excuse for 30 fps.

Neonivek, did you "not see" the part where the troops are having orders beamed directly into their brain and are basically a hive-mind?  Whenever you talk about stuff like this I can't help but feel like you're sending us messages from a different universe and that's why there's this block in communications.

My main complaint right now is I feel like the game gets going too fast.  I mean it's good for giving you that us vs the world feel, but XCOM EU started you out with sectoids and floaters, gradually added new mechanics and tactics to the situation, and still managed to be really challenging.  This one you've got psionics, melee guys, grenades, special abilities, all kinds of shit pretty much from day 1.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do about shocklancers right now.  Aside from everyone running away and overwatching and even then you've got a pretty good chance of losing that fight.  THey can hit you from so far away, do so much damage, have so much health, that basically you kill them on the turn they appear or someone's dead.

I just need to start playing this like it's impossible.  Move slow, hunker down more, no shotguns, grenade everything, and don't advance for flanks unless you know nobody's there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:43:40 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: February 06, 2016, 12:59:41 am »

Neonivek, did you "not see" the part where the troops are having orders beamed directly into their brain and are basically a hive-mind?  Whenever you talk about stuff like this I can't help but feel like you're sending us messages from a different universe and that's why there's this block in communications.

Frankly I have no idea why we are having this communication problem. Especially since I am talking about how I feel about the game, rather then an assertion as to what it is.

As for "Did not see" I saw it... it isn't too important. You can be an evil slave.

All I am saying is that the lowest level troops being alien hybrids feel far too much, to me, like the game is trying to avoid the sort of ambiguity, to the person playing not in objective terms, that killing possible innocents would have created... especially since you are a terrorist cell.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 469