Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963157 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2415 on: January 04, 2016, 07:05:08 am »

I thought that "Machine Spirit" were mostly a superstition?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: January 04, 2016, 07:27:31 am »

I thought that "Machine Spirit" were mostly a superstition?

That's what I assume too, but I read that Machine Spirits actually take over sometimes, especially in more advanced tech like Titans and tanks, but I guess that's what Dorsidwarf meant with the remnant AIs.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: January 04, 2016, 07:34:59 am »

That's their explanation for when the computers bug.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: January 04, 2016, 08:40:37 am »

Machine spirits, there's a duality there. At one side, the concept is basic into the Mechanicum belief systems. Machine spirits are within everything mechanical and artificial. Your car have a machine spirit, summed up from the machine spirits of it's countless individual pieces. A lasgun have one too. As do starships or something as simple as an user interface terminal. I think some would consider the OS of computers the respective machine spirits.

Machine spirits reside within any construct (be the spirit interactive like the case of a computer or not like say a mechanical pencil) and are to be pleased and respected if you want equipment to keep working properly. Not only maintenance is needed, prayer and healthy respect are a must too.

On the other hand, when the machine spirit actually manifest back beyond a simple computing program, then machine spirits are AI, be it brains with chips or chips with brains, the result is the same, no matter if it's stored in hardware or wetware, they are very advanced programs, or artificial intelligences. However they are what you might call dub AI, as in non-sentient AI. It's programming far more basic from one of those true complete AI.

These machine spirits tend to follow seemingly basic algorithms but they are capable of perform very complex actions to follow said algorithms, like the case of the Land Rider, which function could be summed up to "protect the imperium", "kill the xenos" or whatever you might come up. There's a instance of one such vehicles waging guerrilla warfare against Orks no less for a few weeks if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:47:18 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: January 04, 2016, 08:49:30 am »

Ah but Titans, land Raiders and especially the Ark Mechanicus are a different notch fromy our basic bolter.

While a bolter machine spirit is in propably almost all cases simple superstition, the Machine Spirit of Titans, Land Raiders etc. are starting to get to an AI. Level. Take for example teh Relationship of Centurions with their Titans. Or alternatively whatever resides on an ark mechanicus.

Those are actual AIs as contrary to your dishwasher whose entire manifestation of "the machine spirit" might be to beep when its done.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: January 04, 2016, 09:47:21 am »

Posting to watch as I need ideas for my 40k themed Aurora playthrough.
 I'm so going to butcher canon XD
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: January 04, 2016, 10:35:06 am »

For us tabletop kids, Cadian Scrapbook recently just came out.
Including a sweet new detatchment.

The command detatchment is a CompanyCommandSquad or Tank Commander (min. 2 Russ sq)

The core detatchments are, minimum:

Infantry:
- 1x CCS
- 3x PCS
- 15x Infantry squad (150 models!!)
- 3x Sentinels.

Armor
- 1x Tank Commander
- 3x Russes
- 1x Techpriest

Which basically means choose between 175 infantry, or 7 tanks.

$$$ for points is a bit ludicrous considering they're both <1000
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: January 04, 2016, 10:36:57 am »

And how much do they both cost, in money?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: January 04, 2016, 10:39:04 am »

Regional prices being what they are makes it tricky.
But I'd put them both within $~200 of eachother and definitely under a grand.

Considering how much I've already spent... This depresses me.
40k isn't a year. It's a price tag.

In any case! Given the space between units y'all would be glad to know it'd be physically impossible to get 450 mastercrafted lasgun shots off at the one devestator squad anyone especially wants to die.

Which is good. You'd probably have to roll 25 at a time.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:47:24 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: January 04, 2016, 11:00:42 am »

A ten man cadian squad is £18. So 150 of them would be £270.
A Cadian command squad is £15.50. I dunno what a PCS is, I'm not up with the abbreviations.
And three sentinels at 18.50 each.

Not including the PCS that's £341 already.
Who has that kind of cash to throw around?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:23 am »

Older neckbeards with no kids.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2426 on: January 04, 2016, 11:08:04 am »

The Machine Spirits are actually very real, due to various reasons, but they're also various things. Due to some serious warp-fuckery, which may be beacuse of Mechanicus beliefs and/or the fact they put brains into computers or computers into brains, the things sometimes... do weird stuff that's hard to explain, even if said things are just regular pencils. Stuff just... happens, beause people think it could happen. Then there are of course the actual computers and remains of people on those brains in jars that somehow survived mind wipes and getting cut into pieces, the rare full-AIs, the programming so sophisticated that it can be seen as "life" by those who don't know better. A lot of it is indeed superstition, but there are cases when things as simple as guns start to clear jams by... themselves or when you somehow can juice few more shoots from your empty lasgun battery, when wrecked tanks still keep firing, when a door closes itself just in time to stop the incoming enemies, when power armour fights on it's own while it's clear that the user is very much dead, when lone vehicles fight despite not being crewed, when aircraft do impossible maneuvers, when huge factories on Forge Worlds seem to produce what is required without anybody even knowing how to imput commands, or when space ships ram enemies on full speed despite the crew does everything to stop it. Or when the damn toaster stops working because you didin't chant all the time you were making your toasts. You can try to explain, you can proably also explain all of this in a rational manner... but you'll never know for sure.

Related.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: January 04, 2016, 11:21:57 am »

A ten man cadian squad is £18. So 150 of them would be £270.
A Cadian command squad is £15.50. I dunno what a PCS is, I'm not up with the abbreviations.
And three sentinels at 18.50 each.

Not including the PCS that's £341 already.
Who has that kind of cash to throw around?

I'd assume most people would buy it in bits at a time. £340 isn't that much to spend on the hobby over the course of half a year, and it'd probably take most people that long or longer to get them painted anyway.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: January 04, 2016, 11:32:53 am »

Al right, let's round up the sum of £400 for an IG army with tanks and infantry, adding the PCS (what's that btw?) and anything else needed. We could pump it up to let's say £450.

How much is the minimal wage (if there's one)? Or how much do the average person makes there? How much does it cost a month of rent, services and food there? How much for an average pair of shoes and some clothes? I ask about minimal wage because two things. In my country minimal is the maximum most people can aspire (and indeed ever get). Also because along with the prices of living it would help me create a better picture of how really expensive the hobby is.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: January 04, 2016, 11:37:30 am »

Platoon Command Squad.
Could either buy a CCS box or use the leftover CCS bits to turn a guard squad into 2 (which's what I did).
But, no sneaky stuff means the infantry army is coming to ~$1075 AUD for me.

Also money aside...
Who the hell would willingly paint them?

Edit: Saw an "Emperor's shield platoon" online which had only two squads of shock troops.
Will need to find a RAW that the platoons are minimum 50 men, otherwise it maybe an army builder mixup, or a rule change between the campaign book and the scrapbook.
Then again, it could always just be GW doing what they do best.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:50:26 am by Tack »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 824