Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 435581 times)

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1995 on: January 25, 2016, 10:50:55 am »

Aye, I know... that critter has been around for so long. How do you keep the damn thing alive, does it not eat?

I don't want to destroy history for sure! The descrip is just the start of how my dorf sees things.

It's definitely tough going in this fort though considering how slow things are. Really, the only big contribution I could really see to making is to claw back a few fps by making the stockpiles more efficient and walling off some walkable space rather than doing any crazy projects. I'm not going to build much at 8-13 fps while maintaining sanity.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:53:24 am by Kevral »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1996 on: January 25, 2016, 01:07:41 pm »

8fps? you are lucky, sir!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: January 25, 2016, 02:42:55 pm »

Hold on, the queen does too have a throne room. Did you mess something up?

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: January 25, 2016, 05:45:35 pm »

Aye she does, she's just whining that it's not royal enough. Her throne/bed/dining appear to be two 5x5 rooms overlaid on each other which I thought weakened their effectiveness a bit. And there's an already existing Royal throne room elsewhere in the fort that was unassigned, so she has that one as well now.

You mean... 8 fps has been good compared to previous players? Ouch! I do love DF, but it's tough when it gets that slow. That said, two mostly uneventful months have passed. I've been writing up notes as I go, and hopefully I'll find something creative to story in amongst it. (Now watch as a colossus arrives in Autumn)

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 25, 2016, 06:36:42 pm »

I get the sneaking feeling that the Chalice of Armok will never get built.....   Anyway, I've begun work on the archive again, expect Year 4 to be up sometime this week. 
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: January 25, 2016, 07:32:51 pm »

I would argue Smuntsu was (and is) the only true member of Doomforests nobility. His survival and happiness come before anything!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: January 26, 2016, 05:28:27 pm »

Hang on, did you just say kill Smunstu? I'm sure Taupe will have a word or two to say about that, and I for one would not recommend it. What resides in that room is a valuable, nay, irreplaceable part of our fort's history. To kill Smunstu would be a great crime against the heritage of future generations.

Nononononono... no death to Smunstu.  Taupe will go completely librarian-poo.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: January 27, 2016, 10:27:07 am »

So after I ordered the Flames down to the gold office area, I had a message from some influential dwarves that stated, in no uncertain terms, what might happen were anything to happen to our Prime Minister

Prime Minister? We have a goblin for Prime Minister!? What do you expect giving the overseer position to someone who has tried to avoid work! I suppose I've hidden from the chain of command for a while. I suppose they wanted to drum some sense of responsibility into me. Does beg the question though - if the queen isn't quite running this place, and the Prime Minister isn't quite running this place, and I as Overseer am not quite running this place.. Who the hell is? Is it to do with those temples around the place that mostly seem walled off..?

10 Granite: Heard Frankensteen's the oldest dwarf here so I dropped by for some advice. Now, I don't know about the longest resident, but..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...she's probably in the running for most wounded.

Right, well if murdering goblins is off the table, how about those beasts that stain our halls instead! How about Ayanu - a half crippled...

...pterosaur?

This took a lot longer than I thought, digging through the maps of that forgotten region of the fortress to find the damn entrance. Cutting down the correct wall opens us to more of the water caverns than I'd like, but we can wall that up too if needed.

Whilst I am waiting to hear the military reports, a caravan arrives. I curse my lack of foresight - I could have fed the pointy ears to the beast Ayanu instead. No matter, let's see what junk we can sell them.

12 Granite: Ayanu has been slain! Spearmaster Vabok claims the killing blow. These noble rooms can be reclaimed and decorated with carvings and blood of the famous battle. Oh, who am I kidding, the beast was half dead and didn't land a blow on our elite.

Oh right, elves... do we even WANT anything? I ended up exchanging some rotting clothing for some fermentables.

17 Granite: Don Pedro is throwing a tantrum again, this time punching out the mayor. I've heard he's a trouble case. I check the records..

Every criminal report for the last 3 months have been regarding his behaviour. I throw him in jail without a second thought.

No wait, there's a second thought. The jail is not yet finished and is strewn with rubble. Your punishment will have to wait while we build you a prison.

20 Granite: A child goes fey and claims a craftsdwarf workshop. A marble earring is completed and immediately wins an award for the most plain artifact in existence.

I do not know this place as well as I thought! I found a vast cavernous area that had been hollowed out with stockpiles and additional smelteries and workshops. After some thought, these will be shut down. Dwarves, smelt it with magma like Armok intended.

3 Felsite: Discovered a garbage dump designated over the lava. Might have thrown a few things away when clearing out the cavernous room.

5 Felsite: Drokles is so distracted by the fantastic food on offer in this fortress, he loses where he put one of his masterworks.

15 Felsite: I do wonder about the long ramp from the surface to our living quarters area.

It appears to be fit to take a trade wagon down underground, but there's a huge hole in the middle of it. As if it was dropped. I wonder if some trap was sprung on traders in previous years - and perhaps we can replicate this marvel...

Also, a new beastie arrived!

...and survives for about five seconds. Simo Usnowusu, an existing forgotten beast just bites its head off clean in one go. Remind me not to send any dwarves after that one. Not any that I like, anyway.

18 Felsite: Some Drunians turned up and stole some things. After a search, it turns out they are stealing from a deep, walled-off section over a deep lava pit and covered in dwarven blood and bodies. As I'm assuming this is part of a failed expedition there. They are welcome to any trash they find, they're not getting in.

19 Felsite: Rovod Romotkletmos, some dwarf I'd never heard of, has fallen into depression. Since he's a soldier, I guess training day in, day out in the vomit pits got to him.

20 Felsite: Some small projects completed. Quantum stockpiles for stone, and adding some lighting in above our corpse pile to reduce some of the miasma clouds that were getting to some of our dwarves.

21 Felsite: More tantrum from Don Pedro, and this time he gets confinement as the jail is finished. Enjoy those literal golden handcuffs now.

...and Spring is over. I sink back into a throne in the drinking hall, tankard nestled between my hands half-forgotten, deep in thought. I have power here, power I never wanted. Yet it still seems that I am merely 'doing time' in the Overseer's chair. There are other cadres at work here - perhaps those shadowy rumours about Doomforests cults were true. The temples both locked away and half finished do speak to much. The question is - should I care? Or am I being tested for something here as Overseer..

Sorry if it's all boring and practical stuff. If all I can do around here is make it a bit faster for the next player, I'll call it a win.

I also don't know what part of the huge Doomforests RP to really stick my foot in first, so I'll sit and observe at first and see what grabs me.

Got some tools on the build in the background in case I can eke the game to run at 20+ fps and might do something more exciting with them. It's still fun discovering random holes or projects around the place and wondering what project got started/forgotten about there. For the most part though, this fortress works. Slowly.

I've never had such a huge military, or such an adeptly trained one. I do hope for a siege to see how we take care of things.

I get the sneaking feeling that the Chalice of Armok will never get built.....   Anyway, I've begun work on the archive again, expect Year 4 to be up sometime this week. 

Which part is the Chalice? I suspect it is the area deep down that I described being covered in blood - a multi-level circular structure over lava?

I'm sure there's plenty of the fortress I simply haven't found yet!

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: January 27, 2016, 12:23:34 pm »

Aaand we might have a problem with Mate. The 888nd that is, since we have multiple of them...

Some dwarf - an unclaimed axelord, is stuck in one of the stairwells with the orders 'Get Provisions'. Mate on the other hand, is on the floor below, repeatedly attempting, and failing, to...

And he's starting to get thirsty. Seems to be stuck, and my attempts to assign them to burrows and similar attempts to free them from their stasis are failing.

Any ideas how to free them?

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: January 27, 2016, 01:29:46 pm »

Which part is the Chalice? I suspect it is the area deep down that I described being covered in blood - a multi-level circular structure over lava?

If you are talking about what i think you are, yes and no.  Originally, it was part of another project that was cancelled, but I was thinking it could be repurposed to serve as infrastructure for the chalice.  If you can, start putting pump stack in there, but don't turn anything on yet, as it will have no where to go.  We can discuss this later.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: January 27, 2016, 03:07:44 pm »

Aaand we might have a problem with Mate. The 888nd that is, since we have multiple of them...

Some dwarf - an unclaimed axelord, is stuck in one of the stairwells with the orders 'Get Provisions'. Mate on the other hand, is on the floor below, repeatedly attempting, and failing, to...

And he's starting to get thirsty. Seems to be stuck, and my attempts to assign them to burrows and similar attempts to free them from their stasis are failing.

Any ideas how to free them?
Only in doomforests.

Altho, from my experience in Immortalitytower, restricting dwarv es to burrows IS the reason those handle animals tasks fail. Just let Mate wander around freely, let the axe lord wander freely, and make sure they have a direct path to each other. Then His Holyness should be able to reach his quary. Pet. Friend?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: January 27, 2016, 03:11:01 pm »

WHY AM I MAKING IRON SHIELDS? WE NEED THAT IRON TO MAKE STEEL! THAT'S WHY I HAD IT MINED OUT! WOOD IS BETTER FOR SHIELDS THAN METAL! THAT'S WHY MOST OF OUR MILITARY USES WOOD SHIELDS! Or at least they would, but someone fucked up the uniforms between my 2nd and 3rd term.

I swear, if I deliberately sabotaged the fort it wouldn't look like anything compared to the regular, background incompetency that seems to show up out of nowhere.

Kevral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: January 27, 2016, 04:50:11 pm »

If you are talking about what i think you are, yes and no.  Originally, it was part of another project that was cancelled, but I was thinking it could be repurposed to serve as infrastructure for the chalice.  If you can, start putting pump stack in there, but don't turn anything on yet, as it will have no where to go.  We can discuss this later.

As far as I could tell, when I started there were no tools pre-built to make such a stack. Since it is quite clearly a requirement of all fortresses to have a bulk of magma safe pipes on hand to make a stack I have that commissioned. Won't have time to build a pump to the surface, but I should could pump magma around a few levels. The area I mentioned is pretty unsafe though - bounding onto caves that I think contain the beasts. It was walled off, trapped, then walled off again some time ago. I'll post some images.

Altho, from my experience in Immortalitytower, restricting dwarves to burrows IS the reason those handle animals tasks fail. Just let Mate wander around freely, let the axe lord wander freely, and make sure they have a direct path to each other. Then His Holyness should be able to reach his quary. Pet. Friend?

My description was too poor it seems. They (Mate and Erith) are actually already on adjacent tiles, just on separate z levels in a stairwell. And the 'handle animal'... it's NOT a pet. The animal he is trying to handle IS the Axelord's (Erith). A dwarven priest is trying to handle another dwarf. In a public stairwell. Thinking he was an animal. Yes, only in Doomforests.

It makes me think of one of the other Dwarven sagas I was reading - Failcannon I think, where they had some miners stuck, ghosted and floating in the air. These dwarves may be just as inaccessible.

WHY AM I MAKING IRON SHIELDS? WE NEED THAT IRON TO MAKE STEEL! THAT'S WHY I HAD IT MINED OUT! WOOD IS BETTER FOR SHIELDS THAN METAL! THAT'S WHY MOST OF OUR MILITARY USES WOOD SHIELDS! Or at least they would, but someone fucked up the uniforms between my 2nd and 3rd term.

I swear, if I deliberately sabotaged the fort it wouldn't look like anything compared to the regular, background incompetency that seems to show up out of nowhere.

Queen mandate for why shields. When I started we were VERY short on (harvested) wood (or I couldn't find it), which is why iron. Besides, they can be melted down again. More wood has been cut. (Should have mentioned that actually). I didn't know wood was better though - why? Because it is lighter?

For a fort of this age, I figured we already had a crapton of steel. If not, I'll more than happily get smelting away!

One of the big things I've been addressing is the random stockpiles everywhere - especially the HUGE ones. I am far from an expert in salvaging fps, but I understand larger stockpiles can cause more job pathings. (I suspect many piles were left as a result of moving from upper to lower Doomforests over time.) The thing Flame mentioned about many bar/block stockpiles before, for instance. They are all now gone (there were about 5 apart from the quantum stockpiles).

The biggest organisational 'problem'(?) left is the VAST amount of space dedicated to furniture stockpiles. That's.... a lot of spare mechanisms. And bins. (The coffins I understand).

As for actual problems, there's a few unhappy dwarves and I don't understand why. Pedro and Rovok as both depressed and sometimes tantrumming. And 5-6 military dwarves (all in different squads) that are getting very unhappy. MOST of the thoughts are happy, some all happy, but Therapist says they are quite stressed. Since the military are all pretty elite, maybe they just need some time off? I don't care about Pedro tantrumming, but some of these hardcore military dwarves sure could make a lot of !fun!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:53:18 pm by Kevral »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2008 on: January 27, 2016, 05:20:44 pm »

there should be some started pumpstack efforts.. somewhere.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2009 on: January 27, 2016, 05:39:44 pm »

Journal of Psycho II
So recently, my son told me he witnessed Don Pedro of all people beating up a stray cat. He says that others can attest to this as well, but I don't see why that's a considerable misconduct crime. If I heard correctly, our new overseer wasn't much of a working man. Hopefully this doesn't mean that we'll be lead into the pits of hell because of him.

A few months have passed, and as it seems, our overseer is getting rid of the unwanted and unused stockpiles that were overall generally useless. He also freed a half-dead forgotten one from its pain. Things seem to be looking up.

Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 144