Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 777

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 854066 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4425 on: September 18, 2018, 02:38:01 am »

Their client makes me sad, because it is so horribly written, does not uninstall cleanly, and they update it like they were changing bedroom sheets.

(I supplied a used computer to the neighbor kid, who is semi-impoverished. He breaks that fucker all the damn time with that shitty sandbox platform, and its bullshit broken assed client. At least once a month.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: September 18, 2018, 02:41:42 am »

The awfulness of the engine multiplied by the amount of content somehow is a perverse measure of interest to me.
Doesn't install cleanly?  Have a repost of how bad it is from the developer standpoint.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: September 18, 2018, 02:51:55 am »

I meant Roblox, but I see BYOND is just as bad now.  I weep for the world.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: September 18, 2018, 04:02:34 am »

I heard most BYOND games aren't very good, except for SS13 (which I adore).
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: September 18, 2018, 04:08:12 am »

SS13 isn't very good either, it's just very well-liked.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: September 18, 2018, 04:09:38 am »

Quoted for truth.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: September 18, 2018, 06:19:53 am »

Roblox is the mcccaffee of games?
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: September 19, 2018, 06:46:23 pm »

Quoted for truth.

Yeah, sadly true. I love the game concept but it could be so much more.

Also every time I think about space I get anxiety attacks. That was my slight sad.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:06:10 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: September 20, 2018, 06:05:27 am »

Hey now, space is just a nigh-endless void full of forces beyond our comprehension that could crush our planet like a puny insect in an instant without even giving it a moment's thought. Nothing to be anxious about. :P
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: September 20, 2018, 07:56:30 am »

Quoted for truth.

Yeah, sadly true. I love the game concept but it could be so much more.

Also every time I think about space I get anxiety attacks. That was my slight sad.
SS13 is barely a game, it's more like a weird roleplaying engine, except nobody roleplays.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: September 20, 2018, 08:21:59 am »

Hey now, space is just a nigh-endless void full of forces beyond our comprehension that could crush our planet like a puny insect in an instant without even giving it a moment's thought. Nothing to be anxious about. :P

Yeah, exactly. Knowledge is power, and power will drive you mad for the glory of the Dark Gods.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: September 20, 2018, 08:29:11 am »

/TG/ virology can barely kill a single monkey handcuffed to a bed. They can make you wish you were dead from a spammy cocktail of sneezing, coughing, and itching, but actual tailored disease lethality is remarkably difficult to achieve in any reasonable sense.

And SS13 technically wasn't a game to begin with, it started out as a simulation program for modelling atmospheric gas mixtures/pressures. And now you've got Goon, which removed all that nonsense in favor of the gameplay that didn't originally exist.

Anyways, couple minor sads today... One was my failing to head to fountain house and do something constructive with my day, again, because... Well, I'm not entirely sure why. I just didn't want to go, and didn't manage to fight myself enough to go anyways. Maybe tomorrow.

The other one is that I just saw a post pop up on Facebook with some copy-pasted glyphosate fearmongering, and it's being very graciously accepted by, well... The kind of crowd who goes for that sort of thing. Apparently, glyphosate is the true cause of "gluten intolerance" in modern society, what with how they package all the rye and barley with glyphosate. Also GMOs are still the devil.

The real sad point there was that I couldn't ass myself to source a proper counterargument to tell people off for buying into this stuff sight-unseen. So I'm just letting it sit there and throb, uncontested.

Time to eat some random scraps, I think.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: September 20, 2018, 08:36:57 am »

/TG/ virology can barely kill a single monkey handcuffed to a bed. They can make you wish you were dead from a spammy cocktail of sneezing, coughing, and itching, but actual tailored disease lethality is remarkably difficult to achieve in any reasonable sense.
I was once killed by a virus that kills people in about a minute through... burning, I think? So they changed it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: September 20, 2018, 08:57:49 am »

I was once killed by a virus that kills people in about a minute through... burning, I think? So they changed it.
Here's the thing though: Yes, there are symptoms that can be fatal, some of the more powerful ones (specifically, autophagocytosis necrosis and alkali perspiration) can be very fatal. The problem is balancing a disease so that it can deliver the symptom to its full effect (some effects are locked behind stat walls), while also making sure that it has at least some tiny amount of stats left over in order to function.

A disease can be lethal, stealthy, resistant (measuring both the somewhat negligible difference in time it takes for exposure to the curative to kill the infection, as well as the much more important factor of defining what chemical is the curative), transmissible, and fast-acting. Pick two.

If a disease is potentially lethal and works relatively quickly, then it is extremely susceptible to its antidote (and will have a more readily available antidote) and plainly visible on a health scanner or mediHUD along with providing periodic warning messages before it reaches a dangerous level of advancement, as well as being effectively non-transmissible.

It is extremely difficult to balance symptoms in such a way that the disease can in any way act on its own, as in having something that can infect other people without being specifically injected into their bloodstream, or that can kill someone without having strapped them down to a chair and knocking them out. And the ultimate layer on top of that, having a disease that is stealthy and resistant enough to avoid immediate detection while also hopefully having a less-common chemical as its curative, making battery trials less effective.

In your case, dying to burning in about a minute, you most likely could've saved yourself by vending and eating a bag of chips.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #4439 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:03 am »

Alright, I'm not one to complain too much, but I need to get this off my chest.

Woe is me.

Woe
Is
Me.

Okay so first off, I have to say I've never been good at maths. I hated that in highschool, and ended up with a college curriculum designed to avoid that topic as much as possible. Never saw any value in it when I was younger.

As I left college, and went on with my life, I found myself a passion for imagining how foreign and distant universes would look like. This is what drove me to Dwarf Fortress by a matter of fact. But it also drove me to find myself finding ways to design random universes and set of rules for tabletop rpg games, so as groups of players could play an original adventure each time without needing a GM. The universe would have to

• Make sense
• Be fair
• Be new each time

Among my researches on systems that has been proposed, I finally found one I liked that would fit my checklist. But after a couple of test runs, I discovered that the system was unbalanced. It would make sense and create new situations, but it wasn't fair so I decided to try and fix it.

Problem now : that involves maths. I banged my head repeatedly over the problem of the explosive dice the system was using. Basically when you roll a 6, you roll another dice and you add the new number to the 6. If you roll another 6, you roll another dice, potentially to infinity. How can I measure the average of a potentially infinite dice ? I needed that average, but it felt to the imbecile I was, totally impossible.

Yesterday however I learnt a property of convergeant functions. Convergent functions, it appears, have a finite value. 1/6^1+1/6^2+1/6^3+[...]1/6^n actually have a value.

So I calculated that value, and was left with a number. I tried to toy with it. I knew the answer was here. The average of the explosive dice was right here. Me, who suck at maths all my life, was finally given by fate an occasion to redeem my honor, to reconcile my passion with what I need to fullfill it. And it was just, right there, slightly out of reach.

I had all the pieces of the puzzle. x/2+1 is the average of the x sided dice. 2 is the result of my function. Now what do I do with that.

Tried to multiply, divide, substract, nothing worked to my satisfaction.

And today I was given the answer : 4.2

4.2 was the average I tried to achieve. How could I have been so wrong

I went back to my notes. Compared it with the demonstration. Everything fitted. I fucked up somewhere. Couldn't figure out where.

Then I tried to see the relations between 4.2 and x/2+1 (3.5 in this case). 4.2/3.5=1.2, so basically 3.5+(3.5*0.2) = that damned average.
Then I redid all my maths.

It appeared I read the wrong number on my calculator. 0.2 was the result of my convergeant function, not 2. I could have figured it out by myself. Yet I didn't.

Woe is me.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 777