Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 844321 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8055 on: May 25, 2020, 09:07:02 am »

Someone call the police. This should be illegal.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: May 25, 2020, 10:19:00 am »

Look, just because humans usually need most of their squishy bits to live doesn't mean they need them all in the same place all the time...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: May 25, 2020, 11:01:59 am »

Let's go further. Let's build as house man.

The walls are giants. The roof tiles are gnomes.

The floor plates are kender, because they suck
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: May 25, 2020, 06:46:46 pm »

Oh. If these walls could talk...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: May 26, 2020, 01:42:22 pm »

I hear doormen are good for security.

Let's go further. Let's build as house man.

The walls are giants. The roof tiles are gnomes.

The floor plates are kender, because they suck

What's that you say? Epic Transmutation quest, you say?

On an unrelated note, I'm a little bit surprised there isn't some "deep dark woods"-themed warlock patron. You'd think the concept of creepy mysterious forest entities would be popular enough that they'd get some representation, but apparently no...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: May 26, 2020, 02:10:44 pm »

That's Fey though?
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: May 26, 2020, 02:31:15 pm »

To an extent, sure. But not all fey are woodsie, and not all that lurks within the woods are fey. Also the patron spells/abilities really don't have much to do with the wild, except for Plant Growth and Dominate Beast (which are admittedly good thematic picks).

I feel like it's kinda lacking for the nitty-gritty savage woods nature cult shtick, personally...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: May 26, 2020, 11:36:30 pm »

GOO has some fear effects - I guess you could mix the two for a more "dark woods" origin.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: May 27, 2020, 07:18:29 am »

GOO has some fear effects - I guess you could mix the two for a more "dark woods" origin.

Yeah, like... It's this funky place between Archfey and GOO that I feel could do with a bit of its own personality. And, heh, what got me on this bend in the first place was the savages from Darkwoods (the game), so yeah...

Also, I just spent the past... I dunno, 20 minutes, crunching numbers on a hilarious build that I just checked now and realized doesn't work at all. Phooey. 14d6+60d8+25 sounded like fun.

EDIT: Well okay, didn't take me too long to find another thingy with a 304.5 average damage in one turn. Slightly happier now.

In semi-related news, I've also revised the "annoy everyone by rolling too many dice" build.

Lightfoot halfling, Hexblade 1/Fighter 2/Assassin 3/Sorcerer 14 (Doesn't really matter what kind but fuck it, let's go for Wild Magic to potentially roll more things)

Surprise your opponent (shouldn't be too difficult, just show them your build). Assassin grants advantage on all attack rolls (including spells!) against creatures that haven't had a turn yet in combat, and any hit on a surprised creature (including spells!) is automatically a critical.

Hexblade's Curse, Action Surge, cast Scorching Ray twice using your 6th and a 7th level spell slots. 15 attacks made with advantage, so that's 30d20 with a free reroll for every natural 1 'cause we're cute. Scorching Ray does 2d6 on a hit, but any hit is a critical so it's 4d6 now.

So that's 60d6 if everything lands, which since we're running on advantage and Halfling there's a fairly reasonable chance of getting a good number of them in there.

Going for Halfling instead of Tiefling into Flames of Phlegethos was a hard sell, but I think the overall increased chance of hitting (and therefore adding another 4d6 to the pile of dice needed) won out in the end over one reroll of every 1 on those d6s. But it's a matter of taste, really.

Now, you could of course dump Hexblade in favor of grabbing another level in Sorc; thereby ending up with 17 total rays or 34d20 and 68d6, which is the more optimal route for pure dice... But I've been on a damage-maxing bend today and couldn't really pass up the chance of adding a +6 damage mod to each ray, for a cool +90 damage if they all hit. Which works out to... *mumbling* ... 300 average damage, on the dot (with everything hitting). Well enough to splat a purple worm in one whizz.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: May 27, 2020, 10:25:56 am »

Yeah there's definitely a role there for that to be its own subclass, although any of the current warlock patrons could be flavored as being a dark woods patron (except maybe celestial).
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: May 31, 2020, 05:15:04 am »

I might be coming into a lot of freetime in June and July. Anybody here interested in a mini-campaign for like...4 session across a month?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: May 31, 2020, 06:02:12 am »

I'm always preliminarily interested, depending on if the time fits (GMT+1 here, so I don't want to impose my timezone needs on a mostly, say,  American group).
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: May 31, 2020, 10:53:07 am »

I might be coming into a lot of freetime in June and July. Anybody here interested in a mini-campaign for like...4 session across a month?

Maybe. What system or genre?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: May 31, 2020, 05:54:39 pm »

DnD, presumably DF-adjacent fantasy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8069 on: May 31, 2020, 08:09:14 pm »

What do you guys think of my campaign map?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wanted to trick my players into playing an East Asian inspired campaign without realising it was East Asian themed. It's full of butchered Anglicised Chinese, ancient China history jokes or references and the map was made from the POV of an Immortal bureaucrat with a very low opinion of anything they can't control. Most of the names are just true names because I love true names on maps. Program used was Hextml which was pretty easy to use
https://hextml.playest.net/

There is a fantasy Korea analogue farther West. I had to place fantasy Japan analogue closer because one of my players loves Tokyo Drift references too much. Everything technically belongs to one empire, which was long ago united by the Yellow Serpent Emperor. The Yellow Serpent disappeared and left his descendants in charge of running the Empire; the current Emperor is a stunted dragonling who is being fed poison to stop him from growing up, ensuring he can be managed / controlled easily by the various factions vying for control. Many people believe the Shah Mountain is in fact the Yellow Serpent taking a long nap, but either this isn't true, or no one's figured out how to wake up the mountain.

The weather is carefully controlled by the government from their Six Towers of Elemental Regulation in the SE Capital. Unlicensed weather is swiftly punished. The Palace of Eternal Everlasting Joy is where the Emperor Dragonling lives, alongside whichever faction is in charge at the time (weather bureaucrats, charming eunuchs, military, nobles, probably the adventuring party if they play their cards right). Government house is where all the factions pretend to not stab each other in the back. Each layer of the capital contains millions of people, with the most important being in the centre and least important in the outer rings.

The really long dragon wall separates all under heaven from the barbarian wasteland of degenerate grass and seditious rainwater. It is a brilliant fortification which protects against teleportation and even dragon attacks (being built by a dragon and all). The farther south you go, the wilder the lands become and the more you start encountering massive beasts. The grass and rainwater in the far south is considered an enemy of the state, because unlike north of the wall, in the south the grass and rainwater do not obey the law or tradition, and WILL encourage you to break most laws and rules. Being sent beyond the wall is often considered a demotion in the military, a punishment for civilians and a reward for people who are tired of the rules. This places like Badtown are fairly chill places to live, where you can live freely if you are willing to tolerate the occasional wilderland attack.

The Cliffs of Amber and the Jade Mountains are made of their respective materials. However, mining the rock from these mountains without a permit from the government is a capital offence. The Warlords of Jiyang June and Merchant Princesses of Shangrune WILL enforce their legal monopoly violently. The names of these cities are just incredible bastardisations of the Chinese for army general and merchant.

Winelake and Meatforest is a lake of wine and meatforest created by the late Emperor Mayeo Young, whose name means useless. A reference to the excess of King Zhou, who actually in real life did make a meat forest and wine lake. Inhabitants are mixed in regards to having their lake turned into a winelake; most hate seeing their livelihood go away. The orc theatre actors and opera performers of orcbants however, enjoy it greatly.

In the far north the jungles of savages / cannibals is incredibly difficult terrain to traverse, with many nomadic tribes, towns and villages scattered amongst the wild things and jungle dryads. Most of them are all pretty swell people, however having a nasty reputation helps keep the foreigners away.

The Shanding Riverlands are an idyllic and peaceful place of artisanship, scholarship and bigdongs. East of the Tiyen Sha tower is the roof of the world. If my players have ended up there something has gone terribly wrong. Everything else on the map is pretty self-explanatory. Also the scale I'm using is that 1 tile here is 60 miles, so this is legit a continent-spanning overworld map. I'm already making smaller scale maps for where they'll start, and they'll use this map to tell me where they want to go. As this is pre-rebellion, civil war and plague, there are tens of millions of races running around in an even mix in most towns. The notable exceptions are of course elfwood, orcbants and dwarf pirate island.

Capital Offences of Tiyen Sha:

THE THREE AXIOMS
1. Always respect the Emperor
2. Always respect your parents
3. Always respect your neighbours

CAPITAL OFFENCES
1. Unregulated dying is punishable by death.
2. Unregulated mining is punishable by death.
3. Unregulated weather is punishable by death.

MONETARY REGULATION
1. Refusal to accept debased coin is punishable by death.
2. Refusal to accept paper money is punishable by death.
3. Refusal to pay taxes is punishable by death.

[There are a few more less severe rules and laws, mostly about worker rights protections, building regulation standards, how much wine one is permitted to add to a lake before it is legally no longer water e.t.c.)
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 623