Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5890515 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9495 on: January 07, 2011, 07:20:00 pm »

Well, not much is going on in Combinering worth noting. Had another huge siege, one dwarf died due to an infection. Still no soap. Net worth is getting close to a million. Now up to 144 (1 gross!) dwarves. I caught my first goblin recently in a cage, and am happily holding him naked and a prisoner. He'll be gladiator food in another few dwarf years. There is still a !$!@#$ tone of stone lying around, so I started a new project.

Project "use stone" is now in effect. What will I do with all that dolomite? make a tower, that's what. What will it be used for? I'll figure that out later. In the meantime though, I've changed a half dozen dwarves into dabbling masons who do nothing but lay down floors and walls of the thing. As floors are being set, dolomite stockpiles are also being made. That alone keeps most of the haulers busy all the time.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: January 07, 2011, 07:20:48 pm »

what's a radio?  :D

anyways, sucks that Alath got screwed up...

I justified that in the update before that one. Because really, you try thinking of a good way to write combat in the form of journal entries when the dwarf writing them is nowhere near the battle.

I would've just switched the narrative to somebody who was there, or had the author recount the events as "He told me this happened."

The whole radio thing just felt way too absurd, but ultimatly it was a minor issue in a great LP. Can't wait to see what the mystery invader is!

Yeah, I'm not to happy with it either. But fuck writing battle updates sucks so I don't really care that much. I try to avoid using convient plot devices like that whenever possible.

Speaking of which, Part 46 of my LP is up.

It was another long, lengthy combat update that sucked to write but thankfully took place on the surface so I didn't have to use the radio plot device again. Though again, I can't believe the goblins haven't shown up yet. It's weird, I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't have. They send child snatchers, so they can obviously reach me. I haven't modded them at all. So why won't they attack?

Then again I hope they don't until next year now, because if I have to write another combat update tomorrow I'll pull my hair out. Takes so long.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: January 07, 2011, 08:20:15 pm »

The recent outbreak of a particularly nasty syndrome had 4 dwarfs suffocating in rapid succession. I was preparing for an epidemic and ordering rock coffins, then suddenly no more suffocating. Some dwarfs are still listed as sluggish in the health overview, but that might be chronic from older plagues.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: January 07, 2011, 09:19:50 pm »

After a kolbold ambush that left 3 dead and one running around with an arrow in his guts, I have decided to build a danger room to train up my army. As it stands I have one dwarf to fight everything. The next wave of migrants all get to become my new army.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: January 07, 2011, 09:53:09 pm »

I have a troll that I threw a good 8+ z levels down frightening all my dwarves in the dining hall. Note to self: Trolls don't drown.

(I pitted it off of my waterfall, and it's just wandering around down there) I've assigned a marksman squad, which consists of about 3 dwarves (.-.) to dispatch it, but as an emergency measure in case they really derp it up I'm adding an access to the bottom level of my waterfall.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:41 pm »

I have a troll that I threw a good 8+ z levels down frightening all my dwarves in the dining hall. Note to self: Trolls don't drown.

No, they troll. Oh god, that was terrible.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: January 07, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »

THAT WAS HORRIBLE AND YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR EVEN CONSIDERING ENTERTAINING THE NOTION TO POST IT.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: January 07, 2011, 10:47:02 pm »

NatureRags Post 7: Start | Previous Post(6) | Next Post(8)

The insane bowyer, upon whose crazy insistence we breached our safety net that resulted in the slaughter of two dozen goblins and several wounded dwarves, has finished his bow.  Yes, it's not even a crossbow, it doesn't even include powdered unicorn kidney, and it's named like he doesn't even know how to spell Legolas.  Behold, Lelgaszes Lelumrinal, or in slightly less crazy: "Lushbrands the Waning Ivy."  For some reason it features a gobbo and not much else, and that gobbo showed up in the last artifact too.  After scouring the civilization page, it turns out this gobbo isn't immediately important at all.  While going through the civs screen I learned that with the loss of our broker some three years ago, we can no longer export "Death" to the Kobolds.  I shall have to inform the military, as they are prime trading partners.

An "animal" storage stockpile has been dug out and declared near the volcanic caldera.  I never used to buy in to cage traps, until I realized that the cage trap's fun doesn't end with the triggering of a trap or the clogging of it's killamajigs, like a stonefall or weapon trap would.  No, now we've got sacrificials for Armok and whoever else happens to like absolutely incinerated goblin encased in molten rock.  Unfortunately this removes all the hilarity of watching invaders chase dwarves and animals that got trapped outside the walls in circles around the caldera until one of them wises up and pincers the escapee, where they get promptly chucked in the lava and/or dodge into it themselves.  The sacrifices we make for the greater good *sigh*.

There's a giant cloud of miasma at the old magma pit, where we dumped refuse when we walled ourselves in.  For whatever reason, dwarves are reluctant to incinerate goblin corpses, even though they're fancy free with chucking live ones into pools of molten rock.  So everyone is a bit less happy because no one wanted to cremate this corpse.  Way to go dwarves.

A donkey child (foal?) has grown to become a donkey.  A donkey has grown to become dinner.  The single butcher's shop is on overdrive (Illegal in 37 US states and at least two Canadian provinces), cause we have too many animals that everyone refuses to train. Even dogs, the quintessential war animals, are denied war training.  Apparently we need some equal opportunity laws in here, but until Dwarven Congress can pass those (ie never) we'll have to settle for just eating them.  If this fort gets to the point where we're so desperate for defenders we're training dogs, the day is already lost.

A quick glance through our food stocks reveals that, Sweet Dwarven Urist, I hope you all like plump helmets.  And if anyone complains that all we're brewing is wine, you can see what water tastes like.  We've got a well, and it's only like 5% coated in blood.

The Coffinworks (It graduated to a proper name) has been grinding nonstop, the burial hall has over 100 bodies in it, and they're still finding corpses, skeletons, bones, fingers, and teeth to inter in there.  A quick count of the dead on the units list shows 169 deceased in the area, and the lions share of that is dwarves.

I peeked in on a sparring session, and I wish I hadn't.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Armok help us.  This goes on for like 4 pages.  This dwarf spent a full two in game days bashing the wrestler in the head.  I don't think he gets what sparring is about, this is just Whack-a-Mole.

The elves have come to trade.  I offer them a handful of stone crafts produced by some legendary stonecrafter before goblins killed everyone, in exchange for all their seeds and... a cedar mail shirt?  How do you make wooden chain mail?  I take it for the novelty.  Then on a whim I try and trade it back to them.  That didn't end well, but I already took everything I wanted.  I may just topple the depot on them out of further spite.  I seize a few pieces of rope, because you can never have too much rope, and they leave in a huff.  See you next siege- I mean year!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:04:46 am by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9503 on: January 07, 2011, 10:47:28 pm »

No, they troll. Oh god, that was terrible.

Sigging :D.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: January 07, 2011, 11:51:51 pm »

At my fort: Rain, rain, rain, rain, more rain, and even more rain. It's been raining for about 4 years straight now... I think I might have to build an ark soon...
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: January 08, 2011, 12:43:56 am »

I just had 6 dwarves killed by a single troglodyte.  ...What.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: January 08, 2011, 12:47:50 am »

The fire's back. in all it's burn-half-the-map-and-all-the-wood-I'd-just-chopped-for-beds-barrels-and-bins glory.

Goddamn I hate fire imps sometimes.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: January 08, 2011, 01:24:28 am »

Just started a new one , desinged the hole fortress in 15 mins

Yet i don't build walls (idk but i feel like being underground is better , once I hit the caverns I will be abble to seal the entrance sing I can cut stuff there too and fish , but I gonna have some of probs with FB's and underground creatures)
Desu

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: January 08, 2011, 01:26:01 am »

FPS is down to 10- 15 with a refresh of 5 at best.   :'(  Turning off temperature and weather in hopes of getting my fort somewhere where I can orchestrate its downfall.  HFS, here I come!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: January 08, 2011, 01:28:32 am »

Massive fps drop.... if you met HFS
Desu
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 3836