Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10459 10460 [10461] 10462 10463 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13420807 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156900 on: May 06, 2021, 08:26:01 am »

My laptop used to be plagued with BSoD. About once a week, it would get one. Since it was always when a networking program was running (usually TBfW), I linked it to Wi-fi driver.

But on a saturday, about a month ago, it got out of hand. After 2 crashes on the same day, I installed a new driver. After the third, I disassembled it and reassembled it.
That helped. In the past month, there was only one BSoD.

However, since then, I have been plagued by random lag spikes. Eventually, I determined it was from overheating. I probably messed something up when moving the fan when the laptop was open. I bought termopaste, opened the laptop... And saw the fan's power was unplugged.

I am surprised the laptop ran as well as it did, considering there was no active cooling. And that it raised no alerts at all.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156901 on: May 06, 2021, 09:36:32 am »

I am surprised the laptop ran as well as it did, considering there was no active cooling. And that it raised no alerts at all.

That's what I'd call "terrifying", not "WTF", but that may just be because I'm attached to computers. They're somewhere between "pet" and "human" on my attachment scale. I haven't yet called a computer by a name, but I do catch myself stroking PCs I have some connection to, because I think they deserve to be taken care of like any pet. But, like even more, because they're my hobby.

I'm already a bit unsettled by seeing my laptop's CPU push >90°C playing Breath of the Wild, and that's with the fans running at full speed. If the fans died, I'd probably use it as little as possible 'till it gets fixed. Can't have a computer suffering, not on my watch.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #156902 on: May 06, 2021, 12:32:04 pm »

I bought a refurb netbook a few years back- hypothetically it has muscle, but I think it used to live in a spraypainter's garage (judging by the smell, stains, and scrapes upon arrival) and it pushes 90C just doing a windows update, and tends to freeze/crash dramatically if the screen is adjusted.

I really regret buying it, but it sure was a lot lighter than the 2009 brick I'd been hauling around before. Good thing I have nowhere to be any more, eh.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156903 on: May 06, 2021, 01:10:24 pm »

That's what I'd call "terrifying", not "WTF", but that may just be because I'm attached to computers. They're somewhere between "pet" and "human" on my attachment scale. I haven't yet called a computer by a name, but I do catch myself stroking PCs I have some connection to, because I think they deserve to be taken care of like any pet. But, like even more, because they're my hobby.

I'm already a bit unsettled by seeing my laptop's CPU push >90°C playing Breath of the Wild, and that's with the fans running at full speed. If the fans died, I'd probably use it as little as possible 'till it gets fixed. Can't have a computer suffering, not on my watch.
Hahaha, I had an acer laptop that kept running for like better than five years without a functioning fan. It actually caused burns on my skin a few times :P

Bloody thing kept working, though, right up until I put it aside for something with better specs and less medical concerns.

... it was also the last acer computer I owned that worked worth a damn for longer than a year or so, though. Tried a couple times after it, but they apparently pretty literally don't make their machines like they used to. Nowadays you'd have to pay me to use an acer brand computer :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156904 on: May 06, 2021, 03:38:24 pm »

I can't find the option to block a number on my phone. For the past week or so, this one number has called me several times a day. They were speaking Spanish the few times I did answer, so it's not somebody I can communicate with. The amount of calls is actually killing my phone's battery; it died completely the other day while also completely breaking the outside screen(which was damaged already), and the battery nearly depleted today, far faster than it usually does.

Might have to replace the phone anyway. Luckily, it was a pretty cheap phone anyway.

According to several sources, I can just go into the call log and block the number from there, but there's no option to do so.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156905 on: May 06, 2021, 04:55:59 pm »

Someone's been putting up signs saying "Get rich, invest dogecoin" around the area.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156906 on: May 06, 2021, 05:12:43 pm »

Lots of people are looking to put their cash into assets as a safeguard against the allegedly upcoming hyperinflation. Ideally you'd use real estate, but unfortunately most of us can't afford to buy a house. Crypto and precious metals are the next best bet. Clearly your man sees an emerging market he can capitalize on (Dogecoin is probably the worst crypto you can use though).

Frankly, I'd urge everyone here to at least consider the upcoming crisis. You may not end up being affected, but a lot of people will be and you should at least do some research to see if you'll be one of them. Otherwise, you may have to live in times even more unprecedented than the current one.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156907 on: May 06, 2021, 05:16:33 pm »

The only truly save and good and decent investment is EJ bucks.  Thankfully, I have some you can exchange for your soon-to-be worthless national currencies.  First come first served, no IOUs, PODs, CODs, or WIFOMs, thank you!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156908 on: May 06, 2021, 05:19:31 pm »

Frankly, I'd urge everyone here to at least consider the upcoming crisis. You may not end up being affected, but a lot of people will be and you should at least do some research to see if you'll be one of them. Otherwise, you may have to live in times even more unprecedented than the current one.

What kind of research can help one find out if one will be subject to hyperinflation?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #156909 on: May 06, 2021, 05:38:26 pm »

What kind of research can help one find out if one will be subject to hyperinflation?

Look over your grocery receipts for the last year...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156910 on: May 06, 2021, 05:41:55 pm »

The estimated number of worldwide deaths from Covid since january 2020: 3.2 million.

The estimated number of worldwide deaths from malnourishment since january 2021: 3.1 million.

The Global Network Against Food Crises warned the world last wednesday that 2021 will become a year of starvation. Many millions will die of hunger.
Corona and hunger cannot be viewed seperately. In countries that do not have reserves of many billions nescessary to keep their economies running during lockdowns, there is a huge increase in poverty, and thus hunger.

The United Nations Development Programme forecasts that in 2021, half of all jobs in Africa will cease to exist, and people will lose their income, while at the same time food prices will rise.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:44:36 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156911 on: May 06, 2021, 06:09:44 pm »

I see. OK, likely no hyperinflation in the good old U S of A (just the regular kind), but should give money when I can.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156912 on: May 06, 2021, 06:40:31 pm »

I see. OK, likely no hyperinflation in the good old U S of A (just the regular kind), but should give money when I can.

Considering wages never rise, there's probably still some sort of economic crisis coming to the states.  Money machine can't go brrr forever.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156913 on: May 06, 2021, 06:49:20 pm »

As long as it telegraphs its issues so I can pull my monies back, we good.  the stimulus packages should carry us for the summer, at least.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156914 on: May 06, 2021, 06:58:28 pm »

Considering wages never rise, there's probably still some sort of economic crisis coming to the states.  Money machine can't go brrr forever.

There's actually been a very distinct uptick in wages at the lower end of the marketplace. A lot of people are simply refusing to work for their old pay even when they lose the unemployment boosts.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10459 10460 [10461] 10462 10463 ... 10987