Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2952106 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5760 on: January 25, 2024, 03:17:13 pm »

If a (very basic and incomplete) framework of the Myth & Magic system is coming with the Adventure update, does this mean the Big Wait might not be so big after all (at least, not counting the Big Wait we've already had waiting for the Big Wait)?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: January 25, 2024, 07:52:26 pm »

So with the demi-god being converted into tutorial mode is there like an option to have the old demi-god settings? So that future runs aren't just stuck to the two lesser point pool options or risk dealing with the tutorial again?

the force tutorialization stuff kinda threw a monkey wrench in my common demi-god adv runs a bit
that said I wonder what this means for multiple adv party members if one of them is a demi-god? Does that lead to the Tori the goddess of Tutor popping in to explain a feature if a player tabs over to the demi-god?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: January 25, 2024, 08:29:44 pm »

I assume it would be like fortress mode where the tutorial is toggleable rather than forced in every playthrough, but that's just my guess.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: January 26, 2024, 04:44:37 am »

Will there ever be a rework of how alcohol is brewed, which is currently really simplistic and kinda boring for a game about alcohol addicted dwarves?
Perhaps procedurally generated, culturally unique recipes?

Is an overhaul planned for other older parts as well?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 03:39:59 am by niggy »

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: January 26, 2024, 11:04:44 am »

Will there ever be a rework of how alcohol is brewed, which is currently really simplistic and kinda boring for a game about alcohol addicted dwarves?

Pardon me, slight mistake there - questions for Toady need to be coloured in Lime Green, there should be a drop down list 'change color' when editing.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: January 26, 2024, 01:45:23 pm »

1. Will peasant characters be able to join temple organizations to get bonuses when interacting with related deities? If so, what would the temple faction expect from the peasant character in return?
2. Will the spheres of a demigod character's divine parent matter in determining their special powers?
3. Since property rights are being overhauled does this mean we can no longer walk into a random warehouse and start stealing goods with no consequences?
4. Will hamlets get a new provider for food for adventurers since they don't have markets or inns? I assume the property rights update will stop us from stealing food from random people's houses with no consequences.
5. Previously characters could talk to their deity and get no response, with the myth and magic stuff coming will there now actually be some form of response to talking to a character's deity?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: January 26, 2024, 10:18:32 pm »

Pardon me, slight mistake there - questions for Toady need to be coloured in Lime Green, there should be a drop down list 'change color' when editing.
He is somehow unable to see all other green colors.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: January 27, 2024, 04:32:43 am »

No. Toady has responded to questions colored in other kinds of green in the past. As far as I can tell, coloring serves two purposes:

1. Make it easy for Toady to find the questions among all the chaff that is other discussions and answers to questions. Going through a month's worth of posts and find where to start combing to prepare an answer would be even more of a chore if there were no highlights to navigate between.
2. Make the colored text legible. I for one find the darker green harder to read than the lime green one, and I would guess that's the reason the latter one is selected for the convention. Squinting your way through what's already a tedious task would make it worse.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: January 27, 2024, 06:29:39 am »

1. Will peasant characters be able to join temple organizations to get bonuses when interacting with related deities? If so, what would the temple faction expect from the peasant character in return?
2. Will the spheres of a demigod character's divine parent matter in determining their special powers?
3. Since property rights are being overhauled, does this mean we can no longer walk into a random warehouse and start stealing goods with no consequences?
4. Will hamlets get a new provider for food for adventurers, since they don't have markets or inns? I assume the property rights update will stop us from stealing food from random people's houses with no consequences.
5. Previously characters could talk to their deity and get no response, with the myth and magic stuff coming will there now actually be some form of response to talking to a character's deity?

For #3 and #4, I guess the existing punishment will be toned down, for being overly harsh for the crime of theft and the ownership of items will almost certainly be clarified, for being perhaps too unclear (inventory-only $like so$, although I never encountered it myself) ATM.

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: January 27, 2024, 10:02:26 am »

So with the demi-god being converted into tutorial mode is there like an option to have the old demi-god settings? So that future runs aren't just stuck to the two lesser point pool options or risk dealing with the tutorial again?

the force tutorialization stuff kinda threw a monkey wrench in my common demi-god adv runs a bit
that said I wonder what this means for multiple adv party members if one of them is a demi-god? Does that lead to the Tori the goddess of Tutor popping in to explain a feature if a player tabs over to the demi-god?

I think the changes to demigods are going to be more like you're the hearthperson to a deity who you can talk to any time, and they will send you on quests with minor and medium blessings as rewards (could probably reuse divination blessings.) I think that playing a hearthperson was the intended experience for new players in older editions, so it would make sense to make the demigod changes work like that. Probably when you open a UI element there will be a tutorial popup explaining what it does like in fort mode, for all three difficulties.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: January 27, 2024, 12:34:34 pm »

I think the changes to demigods are going to be more like you're the hearthperson to a deity who you can talk to any time, and they will send you on quests with minor and medium blessings as rewards (could probably reuse divination blessings.) I think that playing a hearthperson was the intended experience for new players in older editions, so it would make sense to make the demigod changes work like that. Probably when you open a UI element there will be a tutorial popup explaining what it does like in fort mode, for all three difficulties.
gonna pop in to say as an old player, the hearthperson stuff was just added because folks wanted traditional quests and the 'not actually quests' but telling you events that happen in the world 'ask for troubles' stuff had made many  new players confused in the past, it just that the quests the lords gave out were also the ones that demand a bit more game mastery than the 'kill 7 rats' gamer assumptions so not many folks were not able to complete them.
and these quests were agreements so that just stuck out in the quest log agreements showing you never did figure out how to solve this lord's puzzle.

having deities be a version of that on top of being a tutorial is going to be Rough since with lords folks who get fed up with their quests could just take matters in their own hands and just take over the site... and dispose of them.
deities don't have that much luxury of just shutting up.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: January 27, 2024, 01:57:29 pm »

I was thinking the quests the deity would send you on would be simpler than hearthperson quests, like killing vampires, werebeasts, and beasts that are enemies of entities that worship it, and retrieving divine artifacts like totems made from the skulls of it's priests, books written about it, and items made from it's divine metal. But everything I've said is just speculation and it'll probably be implemented differently.

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: January 27, 2024, 02:46:49 pm »

Hello Toady and thanks for this wonderful game.  I have been wondering if there was any word on a Mac release for the Steam version?

ryno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: January 28, 2024, 01:24:59 am »

i have a question about the giant creatures of dorf fortress. Is it the case that they are very straight forwardly giant versions of real ones, or is it more like they are fantastical beings that are simply nicknamed after real ones due to their closest approximated similarities? Are the giant creatures considered to be genetically related to the normal ones? I understand that for their sprites they are simply scaled up versions of the base creature set, but I believe this is in order to save time above all else, and that it's possible that the canonical nature of giant creatures is not so 1:1, but can you clarify?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5774 on: January 28, 2024, 04:22:05 am »

I'm also curious if there's an official answer to this, what they are in the current version of the game. Otherwise it should be expanded upon when Myth & Magic drops for real. Are these giant animals monstrosities created by a force of chaos, only similar to normal animals as a mockery of their form? Are they normal animals warped by the magic surging in the lands? Or are they escapees from the platonic realm of beasts? Etc. etc... I imagine that will depend on their procedurally generated past in mythgen.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 393