Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 786872 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1020 on: August 21, 2013, 02:18:58 pm »

Three beasts at once would be a nightmare indeed.

Also, love the dedicated beekeeper. I think that dwarf was a citizen in luckystream, as I used that title to keep track of whom was working with the bees; because there can be only one!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 21, 2013, 03:28:28 pm »

Both companions gasp and fall down, dead, at once, in a blink of eye. Quite puzzled by this, Ushat found no wounds from bolts or whatever could kill them on closer examination: most certainly, they died of old age, together. Then he shrugged off and went away, to Dinnerwandered, leaving humans to bury their dead.

It is interesting how age related deaths don't happen immediately when overaged npcs are loaded, but instead happen after you've had a chance to get to know them, and become emotionally attached to them.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 21, 2013, 05:07:41 pm »

Bug or feature? Hmmmm.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 22, 2013, 06:34:29 am »

The path to Museum was grand, and it was obvious that there were lots of adventurers, because of all the clutter they had left. The Museum's yard was marked with blood of old battles, adventurers were always known as very aggressive folk.
The group entered the museum and stuck in awe at all exotic things that were hoarded here for all these years. Indeed, there were dragon eggs, reptile eggs, a bookshelf full of ancient books, some beautiful golden crafts, even a masterful adamantine sword, which attracted everyones eyes.

...and they greeted by some annoyed bookkeeper that was counting something before: 'Human hair ring, exceptional, human tooth bracelet, normal...'

'Oh, look, new visitors. Do you have a submission, perhaps?'

'Sub-mission?' - Ushat muttered, his attention all focused on that sword.

'Yeah, the rule of this museum is that you should leave something valuable to their collection' - dedicated beekeeper added.

Ushat thought, and thought and decided to leave 3 eyes of slain beast here. As well as headstalk of that thing. The bookkeeper accepted his submission and wrote: 'Three eyes of forgotten beast, normal, submission of-'

'Hey, what's your name?'

Thankfully, Ushat remembered what "name" means.

'Ushat Parchgear, the Scarlet Silkiness of Perplexing, the Avatar of Kos, the god of War.

'Okay, okay, I got it' - and he scribbled it into his book.

Ushat waited a bit, and then asked the question that was troubling him for a long time:
'Owlwalls. Do you know it?'

'What? Ah, yes, yes, it's located to the east of there. Just go and go and when you arrive to the Edge of World, where the Portentous Domain ends and the Ashen Ocean starts, you'll be here. You won't miss it'

The adventurers wandered a bit in halls of Museum, found some more interesting stuff: adamantine gear, gems, 6 identical corpses of same creature and even some more old books. Then they bade farewell and went onto their last journey.

Well, it was last for glorious mechanic, for now. When the group was crossing the first river on their path, it appeared that he couldn't swim, at all, contrary to beekeeper's adequate skills. Despite Ushat's help, it was too late. His blueish body was cremated, and the duo talked about how great he was, well, mostly it was beekeeper who knew him well.

Then, another trouble happened in the Fields of Brew. A huge pack of dingoes attacked them in their sleep, greatly crippling poor dedicated beekeeper, until Ushat drove them off their meal. As he couldn't move normally now, Ushat carried him on his back to speed up the process of moving.
Strangely, the Grim Hills - which is a rather sinister place - were quite peaceful. Only a pack of harpies attacked them on their way. But as sun was falling into other side of the world, they hurried up to closest settlement, following signs of civilization.

Well, Ushat and his companion were quite surprised, in a bad way, when they saw that inhabitants of that hamlet were actually goblins. What was more strange, they were peaceful and even allowed them to stay in for a night.

'Be careful of traps' - Ushat whispered to poor beekeeper.

And indeed, he was right. Ushat woke up, all tense, because someone was trying to stab him through his steel armor. As he stretched up, the goblin mob became more aggressive and ganged up onto it's victims, ending dedicated beekeeper's life, which enraged Ushat to the point of entering martial trance.
'Traitors! You lying dogs!' - he yelled as he hacked off another goblin head and then went on a murderous rampage, killing everyone who opposed him. And none was able to stop the really pissed off steelclad. Soon the hamlet was cleansed from goblins with unseen brutality. Well, at least the Beekeeper was revenged.

He fled the place, and moved forward to his "home", through the Lacy Jungles.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 22, 2013, 08:15:01 am »

Soon he found what he was looking for so long. Finally, he got to see the Ashen Ocean, the great ocean that was surrounding the problematic continent of Portentous Domain. It was named so because ancient humans believed that when the Sun was created by one of their gods, it burnt down all the weed that rose there since the Dark Times. and so the ocean was full of ash for a long time.
Who knows, what's on the other side?

Still, soon he spotted a curious thing, that looked like a strange barn, floating in the water, complete with two long poles and armed with ballistas. It was connected to the ground with ropes, attached to a high bridge. There were dwarves, hauling things to there and from three stockpile buildings on that bridge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

'Owlwalls?' - he asked one of dwarves in strange outfits.
'Yes, mate, it's the Owlwalls. Are you an immigrant? Ask the Captain for free job' - and he walked away into stockpile house.

Problem is, it wasn't Ushat's home, and he only realized it now. He kicked his helmet in anger, but then calmed down.
'Maybe it can be my new home then?' - he thought

He stepped through floating barn's bridge, unprovoked and completely examinated it. It consisted of several floors, with stockpiles for various things and bedrooms. On the top there was a special floor where a noble dwarf resided.
'Are you the Captain?'
'Aye, and who are you?' - Captain replied, holding a wheel thing.
Ushat scratched his beard, the main thinking organ, and answered:

'I'm Ushat Fasholon, the Bane of goblins, the Scarlet Silkiness of Perplexing, the Avatar of Kos. A dwarven adventurer'
Captain scratched his beard too. He didn't want to lose a free steelclad dwarf, but still, there was a problem:

'Sorry, mate, can't do that. You're not a legal immigrant, we can't count you as a rightful citizen.'

Ushat was quite disappointed by that reply, as that meant that he was a complete homeless dwarf now. He spitted into the damned ocean that attracted him here. Still, begging the captain would be too low, so it seemed that he had to find other, new home.

'What's that thing you've built?'
'It's a ship. I understand your curiosity, as barely any dwarves have ever seen the sea, not even mentioning ships. So, it's basically a huge wagon used for traversing oceans. Of course you need something to eat and drink, so we're filling up the stockpiles'
'And what's your destination?'

The captain laughed, then came closer and whispered into Ushat's ear:
'No. I can't tell you that'

Ushat didn't want to stay there anymore, as it seemed that they were fine on their own, so he gazed upon the endless ocean for some time, recruited two sailors so he wouldn't travel alone all the way and went back to the only place he knew the way to: Dinnerwandered.

On that way back, while they were moving near that goblin settlement Ushat massacred, they were confronted by a group of pissed off goblin militia, demanding their heads as justice. Needless to say, they all were slaughtered.
But also they've encountered a really big bandit camp, which consisted of goblins only. Ushat hated goblins with passion, even more now that they've shot his new companions down, and soon their heads were chopped off and taken as trophy.

So, Ushat went back to Dinnerwandered safely, put those heads into the museum for storage and came back to the Tower of Seers, where he stands now, forever gazing onto the greatest city of humans.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 22, 2013, 09:44:50 am »

Here's the save, I hope this is the right one :D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivjlqtmoah2v23j/museum41.rar

I've also managed build a neat fort, named "The First Anvil". I've written some backstory so if anyone visits it he'll get a better understanding of what is this:

Some related OOC stuff:

And some fun things:

Thanks everyone for such great community game, especially thanks to Braalbard, who managed all this. Have fun!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 22, 2013, 04:05:58 pm »

Great turn!

Notice how Ushat belongs to different dwarven race, compared to dwarfs from Owlwalls

In fact the dwarves of Owlwalls belong to a completely messed up and cursed race. I thought it was a good idea to pick "the pale ship" as my civilization, since I was planning this boat thing, but it seems that this civ has issues..
They likely went extinct in game because I only got two small migrant waves in both the embark and reclaim I used at this site. What was slightly more disturbing is that these migrant waves consisted of "friendly" units that didn't actually join my fortress, but lingered on the edges of the map. Usually only the traders are affected by this bug, but all migrants were in this case, so building the site took ages.

-----------------------

Anyhow, Pie Maker is up next..
He has a surviving character from his previous turn who was near invincible (a thrall). Obviously however we have some issues with unretiring characters as explained here and here. On top of that we've had this incident at the adventurers home during Tehsappers turn and are currently clueless on which of our previous adventurers are even alive at this point:

He spotted a working inn, which looked all fine, quiet and peaceful... at first. As he opened the door, he saw a very interesting picture:

There was a big fight, and by fight I mean all kinds of zombies: animated hands, arms and even skin were piling up onto all other, non-dead creatures here. There also was an evil-looking figure in adamantine gear, which smelled foul, and some strange guy standing right under a big sign that said "Vampire Hunter". They all tried to rip each other's throats, so Ushat's intuition told him that it's better to just close the door and let them sort it off by themselves.

Pie maker, being near-invincible, obviously has the best cards, but things are likely to be incredibly messy in there.

I will try to update the other posts and maps as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:20:56 pm by Bralbaard »

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: August 23, 2013, 12:51:20 am »

What was slightly more disturbing is that these migrant waves consisted of "friendly" units that didn't actually join my fortress, but lingered on the edges of the map. Usually only the traders are affected by this bug, but all migrants were in this case, so building the site took ages.

Well, I recall only one animal trainer appearing in such way, which disturbed me as well. And I got the usual dose of traders as well.

On top of that we've had this incident at the adventurers home during Tehsappers turn and are currently clueless on which of our previous adventurers are even alive at this point:

As soon as I realized that this is indeed the famous adventurers home, I went back and fast-travelled, so no one would get hurt much, as people have their own plans and so on. I think only someone's companions (human maceman?) got injured in that battle, as everyone else have too high fighter skill to be hit frequently.

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 23, 2013, 04:14:09 am »

Ah, so my turn has finally arrived! I'll get at it as soon as I can, though I think I'm going to start a new adventurer rather than unretire Mr.Swifttoast.

Edit:

Further examination of the legends reveals that, although Owlwalls was founded by The Pale Ship, it was reclaimed a year after abandonment by The Oar of Hailing, a completely extinct civilisation whose last recorded activity in worldgen was getting defeated by The Armored Evil back in 644. Later entries start propping up after 1051, at which point we adventurers started affecting the world.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:24:51 am by Pie Maker »
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 23, 2013, 06:46:18 am »

Further examination of the legends reveals that, although Owlwalls was founded by The Pale Ship, it was reclaimed a year after abandonment by The Oar of Hailing, a completely extinct civilisation whose last recorded activity in worldgen was getting defeated by The Armored Evil back in 644. Later entries start propping up after 1051, at which point we adventurers started affecting the world.

Hmm. I'm sure I ran into those problems in the initial embark, come to think of it, I abandoned out of frustration with the lack of migrants, and because I ran out of wood. I then reclaimed, apparently with another civ, (and a lot of freshly bought wood) but I don't know if the second fortress ran for long enough to notice problems with migrants. Can you actually reclaim using a dead civilisation, it seems like I did, but ...

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »

The scattered ancestors of myth and memory, "The Pale Ship" makes one last stand against those who have usurped their lands, but alas! Twas not enough and "The Pale Ship" became once more but a story for children.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 23, 2013, 04:33:09 pm »

This is... a really depressing world. Interesting, but about as cheery as a gloomy day in hell.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 24, 2013, 12:02:26 am »

Yeah, tragedy becomes a little too much when unleavened by a little comedy

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 25, 2013, 05:32:18 pm »

I salute the stout dwarves of Owlwalls in their tragic, doomed efforts to confront the invincible armada of death boats from the Land of Amethysts that was foretold by the dwarves of Plankstirred.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 26, 2013, 02:31:10 pm »

Here's the position of Tehsapper's new fortress, The first Anvil, on the map:

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 162