Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 786870 times)

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world
« Reply #1350 on: January 06, 2014, 04:51:55 pm »

The FPS death fortresses meet also happens in lairs if you spend a couple nights there.

I learned this after testing in my own game where I had a wereiguana bite me. I wasn't a necromancer either.

I did not contract wereiguanism.

It bit me so I should have been cursed.

It seems curses no longer  transfer in the museum.

So you can only get husked or be a necromancer to attain immortality. I may be wrong I havn't read many of the new adventurer stories

This looks convenient. Would i be right in thinking there are at least a 100 artifacts scattered who knows where throughout the world? Would i also be right in thinking that there still a lot of things to slay? I don't wish to sign up, it's just sounds perfect for finding strange loot in. Oh, and if any of you know what happens when artifacts are traded away, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Eh, also where's the latest download link?

Its literally 3 posts above yours

Kromgar, I have had an adventurer turn into a werelizard in one parallel universe version of this save game, so that is a viable goal.

Not long until my turn now, woo hoo!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: January 06, 2014, 06:29:07 pm »

Braalbard can declare his new museum to be pretty much anywhere, even in a new dwarven fortress he retires. Which would be awesome.
I might know a fix to allow it be in retired dwarven fortress.

The only thing that stops us from doing that currently is FPS death of player-created sites that are frequently visited, have you found a workaround for that? It seems that when all creatures are scared off, or killed on each adventurer visit, buildup of animals numbers remains manageable, but if that is not done (by sleeping repeatedly for example) it spins out of control quite quickly and can be unrecoverable.

Currently non player constructed sites, like the keep the museum is in right now, do not have this problem and work fine.

Also, NAV submitted the save game, I'll PM the next person in line, and I'll try to update all relevant posts.
There's another new site: Takewall, it lies not far from Silverywind, on the land bridge that seperates the cold ocean from the ashen oceans.

Actually lairs  are capable of fps death too. So this bug might

Also these freaking mummies. I have been playing my own adventures. One ended to a mummy south of tongsrace. THis time I was waaaaay south of dinnerwandered at a giantess's lair...

I come out of the lair with the giantess chasing after me when a MUMMY shows up on the horizon. The mummy proceeded to bash the giantess with his mace.

Only way to stop a mummy: Fly... FLY FLY YOU FOOLS.

Or... if your undead they wont decide to kill you. They may even join you...

Kromgar, I have had an adventurer turn into a werelizard in one parallel universe version of this save game, so that is a viable goal.

Not long until my turn now, woo hoo!

Hmm... getting werecursed is just such a hassle. You have to manage your own food and water and if you sleep in the lair too long fps death is bound to occur.

I sitll don't know why I wasn't cursed it bit me in the arm bruised the skin and latched on. I should of been transformed
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:32:26 pm by Kromgar »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: January 06, 2014, 06:52:25 pm »

There really are mummys all over the place. Someone let them out of a tomb...

In my last turn I was witness to a three way fight between a mummy, a night freak and a honey badger...
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: January 06, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »

There really are mummys all over the place. Someone let them out of a tomb...

In my last turn I was witness to a three way fight between a mummy, a night freak and a honey badger...

Mummies are unbelievably strong. So far this mummy I am fighting has proceeded to live after I disabled all its limb destroyed all its teeth too... I started fighting the mumym after I recruited it as it began to destroy a dwarven hamlet
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:06:53 pm by Kromgar »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: January 06, 2014, 07:54:08 pm »

Mummies can only be destroyed by beheading or bisection (cutting off the lower body). You absolutely need an edged attack, and a pretty solid one at that. It will _probably_ also die instantly if it sits in a body of water the moment the water freezes. Good luck setting that one up.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »

Mummies can only be destroyed by beheading or bisection (cutting off the lower body). You absolutely need an edged attack, and a pretty solid one at that. It will _probably_ also die instantly if it sits in a body of water the moment the water freezes. Good luck setting that one up.

Yeah Menacing Iron spikes arn't good for beheading... I tried to punch it off. Eventually I had the entire village attacking his corpse

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: January 06, 2014, 10:24:54 pm »

If you're wondering whether or not I regret my decision to wake them all up, the answer is no. :P

All shall bow before the might of Ume Gillwinds the Saffron Wax of Lobsters, the ever-patient god of fishing and scheming!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: January 06, 2014, 11:14:05 pm »

Welcome to the "Age of Fatal Maternity", with mummys all around and no one surviving childhood...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: January 07, 2014, 01:42:39 am »

Braalbard can declare his new museum to be pretty much anywhere, even in a new dwarven fortress he retires. Which would be awesome.
I might know a fix to allow it be in retired dwarven fortress.

The only thing that stops us from doing that currently is FPS death of player-created sites that are frequently visited, have you found a workaround for that? It seems that when all creatures are scared off, or killed on each adventurer visit, buildup of animals numbers remains manageable, but if that is not done (by sleeping repeatedly for example) it spins out of control quite quickly and can be unrecoverable.

Currently non player constructed sites, like the keep the museum is in right now, do not have this problem and work fine.

Also, NAV submitted the save game, I'll PM the next person in line, and I'll try to update all relevant posts.
There's another new site: Takewall, it lies not far from Silverywind, on the land bridge that seperates the cold ocean from the ashen oceans.
I'm thinking punching a hole in region definitions (it would depopulate a huge area in world around the site). Kind of crazy but if it works and the are is small compared to the rest of the world maybe it would be useful enough?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: January 07, 2014, 02:58:43 am »

That seems dubious at best. We know widlife populations can be reduced to zero and never recover now, but in the next release they're going to be able to recover slowly, and I dont recall Taody stating that once they go extinct in a region they'll remain extinct. Also, does that definitively work currently to work around the bug, or does the bug cause wildlife to appear there regardless of the actual population?

I suppose if Toady doesn't catch that creature duplication bug this release with all the other work going on with wildlife population management, the museum probably should go back in a town keep.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: January 07, 2014, 03:22:41 am »

That seems dubious at best. We know widlife populations can be reduced to zero and never recover now, but in the next release they're going to be able to recover slowly, and I dont recall Taody stating that once they go extinct in a region they'll remain extinct. Also, does that definitively work currently to work around the bug, or does the bug cause wildlife to appear there regardless of the actual population?

I suppose if Toady doesn't catch that creature duplication bug this release with all the other work going on with wildlife population management, the museum probably should go back in a town keep.
The next version has this bug fixed, almost 95% sure (there were few blog posts about this).

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: January 07, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »

There were certainly a number of posts talking about bug fixes for biome populations, but I don't recall any that specifically mention this bug. However because of the extensive changes to both populations, and how sites are retired/unloaded it might very well be fixed as a side effect.

With all that said I'm not convinced a fortress would be a better location for the museum. With the new system for site claims, a keep could be a hilarious place to found the museum. You could have all kinds of interactions with the local nobility, ranging from eavesdropping on their conversations and struggle for power to having player characters rise to power themselves. I doubt all that would work properly in a fortress.
We already had fun with our vampire cave fish man overlord in this game but that was short lived. We could have a whole line of dysfunctional tyrants in our next game.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: January 07, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »

Properly role-played, we could have a whole line of dysfunctional tyrants in this one too.  Whomever wants to be King would need to A) Bring something fabulous to the Museum, (a quest of nobility), B) Find the current king and make sure he's gone, then C) retire in a place that hopefully is really difficult for the next usurper king to find or get into.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: January 07, 2014, 05:00:22 pm »

Just as an aside, i think it's interesting that, if an adventurer retires at a fort( dropping all his gear and loot with him), that fort is reclaimed, and the adventurer becomes "attached" to his military gear, the weapons and armor gained in adventure mode could ascend to artifact status and rightfully so.

Secondly, we'll be able to trade things (which they will then use) to companions, and possibly miscellaneous people. Assuming that this is saved, artifact weapons, armor and loot could be dispersed into the "NPC" population, especially if we hack in being friendly to say goblins, bandits and necromancers.

My two cents, I'll look on in interest.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: January 07, 2014, 06:43:04 pm »

I think handing over gear to random nobodies might result in the permanent loss of said gear, because if they aren't historical figures then when they're offloaded or whatever they and everything they possess will probably disappear.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 162