Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089293 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5565 on: January 26, 2013, 04:48:06 pm »

True. Especially since infantry is much easier to get into, and still my preferred way of playing this game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: January 26, 2013, 04:54:17 pm »

Pretty sure account-based unlocks is just for things you buy with real money.

It'd be nice if experience earned was earned across all characters, so I wasn't fucking myself playing on EU during any of the 18 hours the NA servers are empty, but alas.

It'd also be nice if some more classes had access to anti-vehicle weaponry. It'd be cool if LAs (engies too, why not) could trade their carbines for a AT gun, for example.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: January 26, 2013, 05:14:57 pm »

I just feel that Infantry is too weak in PS2. Most games empower infantry to the point where if you're lucky or good, you have a decent chance against a tank or helicopter even if you're alone. In PS2, an entire squad can have a hard time against a single Liberator, even if they all go anti-air with support classes at their backs.

Not only that, it's pretty boring playing infantry when your only chance of consistently killing someone is sneaking up on them rather than being more skilled than them. I'd like some fair fights that didn't boil down to who has the weapon with the highest RoF. Call me a Quake/Unreal Tournament fan, but longer fights mean more chances for something fun to happen, and allowing for more skill and strategy to come into play. It's not all, "Oh, crap someone's shooting at me and I should turn around and shoot back but I already died."

Wait, weren't you calling VS op a minute ago? Now it's TR that's OP?  ::)

That aside, I do agree that inf needs more of a chance against vehicles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: January 26, 2013, 06:30:56 pm »

The problem is that most battles, regardless of which faction is involved, takes place at ~40 meters. With the current mechanics, they're simply too powerful.

-snip a lot of stuff-

TL;DR: Buff infantry significantly, make VS guns more unique rather than OP, and nerf aircraft slightly.

Pretty much this, especially the air nerf.

Are you seriously asking for even more air nerfs? Let the freaking dust settle, it's been nothing but nerfs to air lately. All this rampant air hate is just going to cause the nerf spree to go way to far.

You can't achieve balance this way, it happened before when AA was to strong and was overnerfed, same as vanu was underpowered and was overbuffed, nc was overpowered and was overnerfed (from what I've been told) and probably more balance decisions made by angry irrational gamers who will drive any rebalance way to far in the opposite direction.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: January 26, 2013, 06:35:10 pm »

Adjustments to this game seem like it's a bunch of untrained dudes trying to control a schooner. You have to wait for the ship to adjust when you turn the wheel. Don't keep spinning until you're where you want to be, because then you're going to wind up overshooting, frantically readjusting, and getting mad when you ram into a boat full of sexy co-eds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: January 26, 2013, 07:46:25 pm »

More accurately, it's like a schooner with a trained, experienced crew. The crew then decide to listen to the drunken idiot passengers in order to determine everything they do. When I see people screaming about something in a game being OP, my first instinct is to look at whether the people complaining are the sorts who will whine about anything, particularly if it's something that they don't use, rather than at the mechanic being blamed.

3. Run Resize Enable

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: January 26, 2013, 09:13:44 pm »

I've seen some stupid shit in the last few days on my screen.  All of these are on Briggs.

A VS HA standing on top of a rise firing rockets at a phalanx AA turret, just on a hundred metres away, and he stands perfectly still for me while I hit him with seven bullets.  Don't know what he was thinking, maybe if he stood still he might vanish or something.

Also VS, a Scythe driving at full tilt, firing all it was worth at an AA phalanx, taking shots as well, he destroys the turret, but the operator bailed in time, but the pilot plows into the turret and kills himself.

TR, a prowler going over a bump too fast gets launched lands on two lightning allies and kills them both, then proceeds to cut a swath through his own infantry as he rushes to the front of the zerg.

A group of four TR infantry in a little alcove being dicks, dunno what their plan was, but they were jumping up and down out of cover, I know there was a HA, medic, and an LA, never got a bead on the fourth, but as soon as the LA paused for a moment, three slugs to the head was enough for a dirt-nap.  Good for his medic, though, who revived him, and then he continued with his stupidity and again stopped long enough for me to put another three slugs into his head.  (Headshots?  Yes, defintiely, it was all I could see when he stopped, for whatever reason).  He didn't get revived again 'cause a Reaver finally noticed where I was shooting and rocket-spammed the little party.

NC, just has griefers and an infinite amount of stupid.  I could fill pages with the stuff I see inside the Esamir warp-gate in the time it takes me to spawn and get the hell out of there.

Anyway, I'm logging in and going to put in a couple of hours, take advantage of the 2x exp.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: January 26, 2013, 09:44:13 pm »

I got on and surprisingly enough had a hell of a time breaking out of Vanu Archives on Mattherson Indar. I don't know what it is, but it was a fair, even fight between us and the NC trying to hold it long enough for the cap to flip. Spent a bit more time flying strikes on stray armor until I caught a hook on a tree. For whatever reason it was much more chaotic "total war" than the normal concentrated zerg. Just about the middle half of the map was a full-on three-way battlefield.

3. Run Resize Enable

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: January 26, 2013, 10:09:54 pm »

Those are the best to be in, when all three are in it deep.

Sadly, on Briggs, that only happens on Indar, possibly why it hasn't been capped lately, all three factions seem to have equal numbers and can't get a superiority in any one aspect.

Esamir is usually all VS, but I see the NC zerg has arrived pushing us up to 66% pop. and Amerish has 50% TR, 39% NC.

Edit: I have been thinking about implants and some of the new game mechanics and I'd pay certs for a range-finder, either an implant or a scope mod.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:12:52 pm by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #5574 on: January 27, 2013, 12:10:45 am »

Adjustments to this game seem like it's a bunch of untrained dudes trying to control a schooner. You have to wait for the ship to adjust when you turn the wheel. Don't keep spinning until you're where you want to be, because then you're going to wind up overshooting, frantically readjusting, and getting mad when you ram into a boat full of sexy co-eds.

This exactly sums up how SoE does nerfs. They continually over correct to the point that whatever ability was somewhat overpowered becomes utterly useless.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: January 27, 2013, 02:03:29 am »

Was playign earlier and wondering if there was any sort of VS Outfit for bay12 on Matherson yet?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5576 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:24 am »

Are you seriously asking for even more air nerfs? Let the freaking dust settle, it's been nothing but nerfs to air lately. All this rampant air hate is just going to cause the nerf spree to go way to far.

You can't achieve balance this way, it happened before when AA was to strong and was overnerfed, same as vanu was underpowered and was overbuffed, nc was overpowered and was overnerfed (from what I've been told) and probably more balance decisions made by angry irrational gamers who will drive any rebalance way to far in the opposite direction.

Yes, I'm asking for more air nerfs. Even with all that's been done, an ESF that costs 200 air resources and has a single cert upgrade can effectively take on a small squad of infantry just by hovering nearby and spamming rockets. It arrives, dumps its load, and flies away before anyone can react. A fully certed heavy tank, which costs 250 resources, can't even do half as well against that same squad, and they can't even damage it with small arms fire!

Even more extreme, a liberator, which costs 300 resources, can eat two loafs of C4 (200 resources and the risk of actually placing them) and not even catch on fire. That's more health than a Sundie has.

Hit and run tactics are a part of what aircraft are. I don't want to change that. I just want them to be more on par with everything else in the game, and make hit and run more ingrained with what you want to be doing in an aircraft. Did you land where a LA to drop two bricks of C4 on your windshield? You deserve to die, and he deserves to be rewarded for taking that risk! Did a Heavy Assault manage to nail your ESF with a dumb fire rocket? You should be blown to bits, especially if you were just hovering around, and he should be rewarded for that. Don't want a dumb fire rocket to take you out? Don't put yourself in that situation. It's the same reason helicopters in real life don't sit around waiting for a rocket to blow it to bits - They're no less dangerous, but they're certainly not invincible.

Also, if you noticed, most recent aircraft "nerfs" include increasing the damage of flak and ever so-slightly reducing the splash radii of aircraft projectiles. There was a very slight reduction in the effectiveness of a cert, but that doesn't do anything if the base numbers are still too high. If you read through my list of stuff I want them to implement (But know they won't), I also want them to heavily nerf flak along with aircraft. I don't want to make aircraft irrelevant, I want them to be more fun for everyone around, and I want them to require more skill to use at maximum efficiency.

Hovering would still have its place - You could still easily nuke wherever you want with impunity. But suddenly it comes with a risk that isn't just losing time to fly and repair. Oh, you had to run away and repair your poor little aircraft? I had to die after taking out half your health and didn't even get rewarded for it. How unfortunate for you. I want to feel respect for someone every time they manage to kill me, not suppress the urge to scream "COME ON" every time they instagib me while I have absolutely no fighting chance.

That said, all my adjustments focus primarily on air vs. infantry. Naturally other anti-air stuff would need to be toned down as needed. I'd even be in favor of increasing aircraft speed and maneuverability to balance the lower health - Let aircraft be dangerous, but don't let them simply dominate the field no matter the situation.

I'd like some fair fights that didn't boil down to who has the weapon with the highest RoF.

Wait, weren't you calling VS op a minute ago? Now it's TR that's OP?  ::)

That aside, I do agree that inf needs more of a chance against vehicles.

Don't mistake what I'm saying - Every faction has high RoF guns. It doesn't matter if you're TR, VS, or NC: Using a high RoF gun is better in almost every situation with the current mechanics (Flinching, per-point damage based recoil).

Most games have damage based recoil, but none with proper balance between high damage and low damage guns use a per-point system. Per point means that a 200 damage gun will have twice as much recoil as a 100 damage gun, rather than a bell curve that will limit the amount of recoil as you increase the damage. That makes high recoil weapons unfeasible at full auto compared to low recoil, especially at range, where high damage is supposed to be dominant. Also, with the obvious exception of getting a head shot with a sniper rifle, all high RoF guns have a faster TTK than slower firing, "harder hitting" guns. That is, assuming that the harder hitting gun can actually hit something. Throw in the fact that low recoil is inherently easier to control simply because it's smoother and more consistent, and you've got a gun that'll win a straight up face off at any range nearly every single time.

That said, all stock NC weapons have a slower RoF than any other empire's, and that prevents them from combining RoF with other tools, such as the under-barrel grenade launcher, like the TR can. I'm fine with that difference as long as high RoF and low RoF are balanced, and currently they are not.

~~~~

Edit:  In other news:

I forgot to mention. I jacked my settings up using this, turned my shadows down to 2, turned off Vertical Sync and motion blur and now I'm consistently getting 40 - 70 FPS. Apparently higher graphics shift a large portion of the load to the GPU, except shadows, which are purely CPU right now. I'm pretty tickled that my game looks so nice and runs so smoothly now.

If you've got a fair GPU and a mediocre CPU like me, it might be a good solution to having better FPS and graphics.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:30:45 am by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: January 27, 2013, 06:19:42 am »

I've still only played a little, but as a pure HA player, aircraft are fucking terrifying. I've sparred, one on one with tanks, taking shots at side and rear armour until one of us has to retreat. I can pop a player with the base gun (not enough certs for anything better, I keep spending them on survival upgrades) without too much trouble, but when an aircraft rolls over head, I hide and pray that they didn't see me. I don't run for the AA turrets, because they're a giant stationary target that appear to be easily taken out by the very aircraft they're designed to destroy. Just keep my head down, and eventually the aircraft will fly away.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: January 27, 2013, 07:49:46 am »

As a pure LA, I can only do the same. Hide and pray. And if one got close enough and careless, I can C4 him, but that's all.
Every time ennemy aircraft roll in, I feel like a small fish in a coral reef with a school of sharks nearby.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: January 27, 2013, 08:26:20 am »

The main problem with aircraft now that I find is that shooting them down with ground equipment is exceptionally annoying. Getting a bead on a Mosquito or Scythe is tricky enough, never mind following them when they dash off when they realize they're being shot at. Combine that with those goddamn rocketpods and you have a formula that strengthens fighters even after the nerf.

The first thing to be changed should be AA gun accuracy or A2G rocket speed. Damage can be adjusted after, but AA guns really shouldn't be so bothersome to use.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 826