Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 228

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 247058 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3315 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:43 am »

I hate it honestly. I feel like FG and Rp has become saturated with spam and arms race games. What happened to the original creations people used to make?

Say what you will, but at least SPAMKINGDOM's made more people actually invest a token amount of thought into the mechanics and pacing of their suggestion games, myself included, even if the thought in question is how much of Haspen's work they want to shamelessly rip off.

EDIT: Also
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:02:53 am by Harry Baldman »

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: April 05, 2018, 05:14:35 pm »

I hate it honestly. I feel like FG and Rp has become saturated with spam and arms race games. What happened to the original creations people used to make?
I agree. As for what happened to the original content? People either ...

1) Joked/meme'd them into oblivion, thus changing the thread from whatever SG it was into another "bay12 thinks it's funny when it really isn't" game.
2) Ignored them in favour of the aforementioned OR some cringy fandom threads.

And those who have created the original stuff have left for greener pastures, so . . . GG in that area.
Self-Improvement Junkie | "Practice without improvement is meaningless."

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: April 05, 2018, 05:15:41 pm »

Say what you will, but at least SPAMKINGDOM's made more people actually invest a token amount of thought into the mechanics and pacing of their suggestion games, myself included, even if the thought in question is how much of Haspen's work they want to shamelessly rip off.
Not really.

To ripoff the ripoff. It's a chain I tell you! Where's Xzhibit when you need him?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: April 06, 2018, 07:40:09 am »

AR have lots of posts and activity, a slower SG can go days, weeks without any post activity.

Still i feel that AR tend to crowed them selves out, one AR is a novelty worth playing, 6 is pick a flavor i know i haven posted regularly in half the ones i've started playing..
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: April 06, 2018, 12:06:17 pm »

EDIT: Also
I actually enjoyed the early SPAM clones. Spamwarlord, and your game were both unique twists on a great concept. Itís just that I have grown kind of tired of it. I personally have foreseen 5 SPAM games to their conclusion and it would be nice to do something different.

You mean the ones with poorly conceived mechanics? That's how I remember FGnRP. But at least people were trying stuff, I guess, but my point is that all of my games were based on original mechanics and most had an original story, but that didn't make them good.

The number one failing of a game is lack of interest. SPAM and Arms Race consistently garner interest. Maybe people should look for a lesson there and try to make something new out of it instead of complaining that something is too popular.
I agree. As for what happened to the original content? People either ...

1) Joked/meme'd them into oblivion, thus changing the thread from whatever SG it was into another "bay12 thinks it's funny when it really isn't" game.
2) Ignored them in favour of the aforementioned OR some cringy fandom threads.

And those who have created the original stuff have left for greener pastures, so . . . GG in that area.
Both of you have great points. The old model was flawed. Things were bound to crack eventually.

I guess what I really want is to just be part of a good story. Create a character, interact with the world, and have awesome things happen. Then you look back at the masterpiece and realize ďI helped create thatĒ. Problem is, good stories require good GMs and most people just arenít up for the task. People may be capable of producing great things, but to then continue for months, maybe even years?  It will drive everyone but the most dedicated mad.

Ah well, itís not like Iím doing nothing. Though Iíve only been working on it sporadically, my RtD is coming along quite nicely. Iíll probably run something slightly simpler in the meantime, but one day it will see the light of day.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: April 06, 2018, 03:00:32 pm »

Ah well, itís not like Iím doing nothing. Though Iíve only been working on it sporadically, my RtD is coming along quite nicely. Iíll probably run something slightly simpler in the meantime, but one day it will see the light of day.

I know this feeling, except I just launched the thing I've been putting off launching. Link for the interested.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Custom Critical

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: April 06, 2018, 03:33:35 pm »

I know this feeling, except I just launched the thing I've been putting off launching. Link for the interested.

Is that OP image photoshop or paint? It's dope af.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: April 06, 2018, 03:35:05 pm »

Is that OP image photoshop or paint? It's dope af.

It's GIMP, which makes it a very straightforward process.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: April 06, 2018, 03:37:08 pm »

AR have lots of posts and activity, a slower SG can go days, weeks without any post activity.

Still i feel that AR tend to crowed them selves out, one AR is a novelty worth playing, 6 is pick a flavor i know i haven posted regularly in half the ones i've started playing..
Well, the thing about flavors is that there often are a lot because not everyone likes the same ones, or maybe people sometimes want something different. I know I personally wasn't too interested in the original Arms Race setting, but I very much enjoyed Wands Race, and that just comes down to personal preference. (btw, I don't watch the board too closely. Have there been any magic-based or at least pre-industrial era Arms Races since then?) On the other hand, I do get your point about them crowding each other out, which makes it harder to find ones you like, though I feel like this would be better solved by some improvements in organization rather than saying people shouldn't make such games.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: April 06, 2018, 03:42:42 pm »

btw, I don't watch the board too closely. Have there been any magic-based or at least pre-industrial era Arms Races since then?)

I have an Arms-Race that's both. Starting tech was based of the Cinder Spires books, so Steampunk with the ability to grow crystals that do some pretty magical shit.
---

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: April 06, 2018, 04:43:43 pm »

btw, I don't watch the board too closely. Have there been any magic-based or at least pre-industrial era Arms Races since then?)

I have an Arms-Race that's both. Starting tech was based of the Cinder Spires books, so Steampunk with the ability to grow crystals that do some pretty magical shit.
I'd consider steampunk an industrial-era concept, even if it isn't technically that in-setting, but I guess what I liked about Wands Race was that it was very much a blank slate as far as culture and technology went. We were very much able to develop our nations cultures as we saw fit, and had technology that worked very differently because we were able to create very different assumptions about how things worked in-game.

Like, we somehow ended up with one side that used magitec and another whose magic was based on prayer, despite neither of those concepts being in the OP. Is there another Arms Race that ever achieved that much divergence?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr.Peasley what do you mean by 'we're outta yarn'?
    • View Profile
SigFlags!
SPAMhub!&Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! and 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: April 09, 2018, 07:53:15 am »

Ok here's the idea, warhammer 40k meets star trek and star wars.
Your a space marine chapter master in charge of an Exploratory crusade.
I still have no idea how big an army you'll get or how to do ships.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: April 09, 2018, 11:29:20 am »

How are you going to balance the superior tech of 40k against the tech of Star Wars? Otherwise I like the idea a lot.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: April 09, 2018, 07:19:56 pm »

How are you going to balance the superior tech of 40k against the tech of Star Wars? Otherwise I like the idea a lot.
Well does 40k really have better tech?
More powerfull tech often, but star wars tech really works, people know how it works.
In 40k you burn incense and pray just to turn the lights on and off, you change a blow light bulb with a live socket and just pray to lighting demons way.
Numbers are another tool, you marine force and more powerfull units will be limited in number
And it's likey you'll end up with a task for the crusade (i'm thinking steal a Deathstar) to have a nice end goal.

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 228