Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 141520 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:59 pm »

I do like the idea that after all that work researching language we really only came up with one thing worth saying.

We're not just snake-eating, hut-building, mushroom-popping, volcano-dwelling, head-hunting islanders.

We're snake-eating, hut-building, mushroom-popping, volcano-dwelling, head-hunting islander Smurfs.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2012, 11:02:25 pm »

I love you guys.

In other news, I'm working on the next update. It'll include details of Charles de Gaulle's traits and a full list of religions.

Alright, so my research plan here is fairly simple, but expansive. First I'll research some techs that will increase the research output of the Stone Tool Maker and allow us to build the Spiked Clubman - a clubman whose club has spikes on it.Then I'll go for Tracking, which will allow us to build paths, which are the first verions of roads and allow us to connect resources to MP4. After that I'll go for Cultural Identity which allows the building of the Elder Council, which will boost our science output by about 25%. Finally, I'll research Trap Fishing, which will allow us to exploit the sea and reveals various watery resources. After that, who knows? Maybe Counting to boost our science some more.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our clubman fights the hawk we spotted while an eagle flies into view.

Our clubman kills the hawk. Any guesses as to what happens next?

Did you guess "The clubman dies to the eagle and makes Boksi rage"?

I put names above the mountains. I hope this is the right order.

We find a Neanderthal! They are barbarians who will try to kill us. In light of this, our injured clubman is renamed "MonkeyHead".

You know how I mentioned how the graphics in this mod can be a little glitchy? That's the proper Neanderthal model.

Despite being weaker than the Neanderthal, MonkeyHead had a 75% terrain bonus, a 25% defense bonus in bamboo and a 25% bonus against melee units, letting him dispatch the Neanderthal handily.

We then research Soft-Hammer Percussion. It lets us build the first capital punishment building, Public Stoning, which will reduce crime a little but also cause unhappiness and unhealthiness. I'll go into more detail about crime sometime, but we don't need to worry about it right now.

In other news, we are poor.

MonkeyHead heads out to explore and see if he can kill other tasty animals. And lookie what he found!

First comes the viper!

He wipes out the viper, but next comes the Neanderthal!

RIP MonkeyHead, we didn't really care all that much about ya.

We can now make spiked clubs! Spiked Clubmen have the same base strength as Neanderthals, and a bonus versus melee units to boot!

We name our first Spiked Clubman "Geen".

We discover some more ways to use stone.

Geen heads out to explore, but then our borders pop and now the stone is within our boundaries. This increase in culture allso allows us to see corn across the sea, somehow.

Geen goes to the hill to keep watch over our rocks. We mobilize our gatherer to start gathering them. We actually received a free gatherer as soon as we researched Gathering, but we couldn't do anything with her because everything is covered in trees or very long grass and we need to research Slash And Burn to remove that. Anyway, Gatherers differ from workers in that they work slower and once they construct any improvement other than roads, they are gone.

Then we finish researching Scraping.

We just got a nice random event!

Especially since we can't lose any population. The event can't reduce the population of a city below 1, and the unhappiness is temporary but the health boost is not.

We figure out that stuff is much easier to kill if you chase it until it's exhausted first.

Also, MP4 has grown! We are now working two tiles!

Some crazy guy comes over blabbering about some guy named Chris and how he died for your sins. We let him stay because he's pretty fun to watch when he holds "sermons", whatever those are, and some of his stories are cool even if we can't understand half the words he uses.

Apparently someone beelined Naturopathy. I'll bet it was Isabella. As an aside, the AI in this mod is supposedly improved over the BTS AI, and is capable of beelining techs it wants even if they're rather deep in the tech tree.

We figure out what those things on the ground are: They're tracks, made by us. And sometimes animals. And when you make lots of tracks you get a path.

Our gatherer almost finished improving the stone but I cancelled her job before she finished so she wouldn't be consumed. Now she's assigned to building paths to MP4.

And with that, I think it's high time to end this update before it grows too big. But before we finish, the two things I promised.

First of all, de Gaulle's traits. He's got Protective, Politician, Populist.
Protective gives certain units like archery and gunpowder units Drill I and City Defense I for free. It also speeds up the construction of defensive buildings like walls.
Politician makes his people happier and ensures that all revolutions are unusually short. Also, state religion helps him stabilize his empire more than usual. It's basically just a weaker version of Spiritual though.
Populist is a mixed bag. All the leaders in this mod have a third trait that has downsides. Populist causes unhealthiness in cities, increases civic maintenance and reduces trade income. On the other hand it also lets you earn food from trade routes and can increase food production a bit. I honestly don't understand why it does what it does, but it does.

Spoiler: List of Religions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:28:45 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos (32267 BC)
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2012, 02:21:00 am »

You know, I really wouldn't worry about the being on an island thing too much. In this mod early expansion isn't as critical since early governments make any city that's not the capital unhappy, which means they can't do much. They're also a drain on the coffers, it seems to actually be better not to do expanding until you've adopted a better government.

Kinda feels like you're a Greek city state early game, it's interesting.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2012, 02:27:19 am »

They need to get some new quotes for the techs. I counted at least four uses of the Einstein "sticks and stones" quote.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2012, 02:36:28 am »

Embrace Christianity. As of right now, it's the only religion founded, and chances are it'll spread around the known world pretty fast. As such, we can get some early friends.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2012, 02:42:06 am »

Embrace Christianity. As of right now, it's the only religion founded, and chances are it'll spread around the known world pretty fast. As such, we can get some early friends.
We can't. We don't have a civic that supports a state religion. In fact, we haven't even invented religion yet. To us, he's just some funny guy ranting about Chris.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2012, 03:34:34 am »

Not my most glorious death there. Ah well. There is plenty more history to die in if I get another go...

The terrain of the island actually looks quite good - I would imagine you should be able to have a small numberof cities quite densly populating that island to act as a solid industrial base before spreading to that nearby corn bearing continent.
This is a blank sig.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2012, 05:49:09 am »

The glorious Jivaro people should totally embrace the neanderthal culture now that they've found stone.
Then you train as many as the game allows you(12 was it?) and keep them around until the space age as a sort of permanent elder council members.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2012, 06:03:09 am »

This LP has encouraged me to dust of my Civ3, and apply a massive mod called Rise to Rule, which isnt quite as detailed as this one but does add many more thousands of things to the game. Might be tempted to run an LP of it in the near future...
This is a blank sig.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2012, 07:47:37 am »

Voodoo! We should embrace Voodoo! Regardless of what it does! Also, greatly enjoying the LP.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2012, 08:19:45 am »

Funny how these Civ IV LP's always seem to pop up just as I think I've shaken off the one more turn syndrome.  :P

I'm in the middle of my second attempt at installing this mod now, let's hope it works this time.

Edit:

Oh, and MonkeyHead: Please do! Civ III is best Civ. Too bad I last saw my disc three or four house moves ago. :(

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2012, 08:35:01 am »

Fair enough, will do then. I will wait for this one to run its course, and avoid playing my newly modded civ3 to make it a nice fun blind LP of overly complex civ3.
This is a blank sig.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2012, 08:57:04 am »

Embrace Hellenism!  Also, could the next scouting unit you make have my name?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2012, 09:17:56 am »

We can't. We don't have a civic that supports a state religion. In fact, we haven't even invented religion yet. To us, he's just some funny guy ranting about Chris.

Given the SHEER amount of times this game ranted and raved about Albert Einstien and his fancy new sticks and stones he uses in World War 4... I am half-convinced this game takes place in the aftermath of WW4.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2012, 09:28:28 am »

It doesn't help that they didn't even try to write the quote correctly.  God that's irksome.

But yeah, if religions have different effects, I would be very very curious to what they are.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43