Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449736 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »

Posting because this is the only logic.

Hoping for depth added to Meso/South American and African nations.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:57:02 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2013, 02:29:44 pm »

Hoping for depth added to Meso/South American and African nations.

The Base game seems to have very little to add on to the EUIII depictions of the Meso-Americans and South Americans. I think the Africans only have a slight bonus.

The game will likely receive a DLC that expands on the New World, especially because they really are spent for improvements to Europe.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2013, 07:39:27 pm »

There'll always be mods too. EU4 has workshop integration from the getgo.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2013, 07:47:03 pm »

Running mods won't let you unlock achievements if you're into those sort of things.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that you can't form Italy in the demo. I haven't seen anyone on the forums do it yet* and while I've gotten close a few times I keep getting hit with nasty events that lower my leader points across the board. Even turning on easy difficulty, AI handicap and focusing all my attention on Italy I wasn't able to do it. Getting admin tech level 10 and trying to take Lombardy without Austria wrecking shit is damn hard.   
Could just be awful luck however.

*found someone who have done it. Apparently you have to take a shit ton of loans and buy the most expensive admin advisor you can. Apparently the game also ends and you can't see their national ideas.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:51:54 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2013, 08:27:43 pm »

Make sense, they want you to want to do it right now not actually do it.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2013, 12:04:04 am »

I'm really liking the trade system. I was playing as Portugal and feeding trade back. It went through a few nodes before making it back to my home node. By that time it had ballooned to over 5.7 worth of goods. The awesome part about that is every time you push money to another node it inflates the value of the goods. All in less then 30 years. I really like the synergy of how both Portugal and Spain can work together to bring trade home. Of course they have to split it, but I got that home node up to 13.1 which is far better then the 7.2 I think it started with. I can imagine if you own enough trading posts you could bring back massive amounts of money. Imagine pulling all the trade from India, then take it around the horn of Africa. You could be making serious money by the time it gets back to you.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2013, 12:16:05 am »

I'm really liking the trade system. I was playing as Portugal and feeding trade back. It went through a few nodes before making it back to my home node. By that time it had ballooned to over 5.7 worth of goods. The awesome part about that is every time you push money to another node it inflates the value of the goods. All in less then 30 years. I really like the synergy of how both Portugal and Spain can work together to bring trade home. Of course they have to split it, but I got that home node up to 13.1 which is far better then the 7.2 I think it started with. I can imagine if you own enough trading posts you could bring back massive amounts of money. Imagine pulling all the trade from India, then take it around the horn of Africa. You could be making serious money by the time it gets back to you.

You'll never get enough merchants to affect that many nodes though.
---
So how does piracy work? Can you hand out marquee of piracy?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2013, 12:22:54 am »

You'll never get enough merchants to affect that many nodes though.

You can get up to 8 merchants.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2013, 12:25:27 am »

I wonder though, if you manage to get a trade route to china, bring all the trade back to seville, won't you end up just splitting your hard earned trade with the spanish?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2013, 12:44:24 am »

He mentioned that, though...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2013, 12:44:53 am »

I wonder though, if you manage to get a trade route to china, bring all the trade back to seville, won't you end up just splitting your hard earned trade with the spanish?
Getting a trade route from china to seville requires going through the mediterranean, which is going to result in most of the trade getting lost.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2013, 01:57:45 am »

Or you and spain could be working together. And you only need a merchant in difficult nodes. With a majority of the trade power of a region you can divert more then any people coming in.

Also with Spain in the same node they will be willing to help you out. Maybe you can do a deal at the start in wbich you focus on getting the Chinese trade and they get all the Caribbean trade. Sure you have to share the pie, it's just going to be a heck of a lot bigger.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2013, 03:45:27 am »

Should I get this game if I already have CKII? £32 is seriously hefty..
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2013, 03:56:45 am »

Some annoying things I found so far.

No notice that there are rebels sieging your provinces. I lost a bunch of provinces since I was busy managing other matters and some arsehole forced them over the border.

A navy that is being repaired in a colony which when that colony is attacked and destroyed by natives will result in the whole fleet being destroyed. Very annoying. 

Trade fleets have to be micromanaged in a war. I think it would be nice to be able to toggle whether trade fleets return to a friendly port when there's a war. I lost so many since I just forget about them and lightships are just horrid at combat.

Diplomacy GUI is still a little iffy. Setting rivals for instance should be able to be done through the relationship screen and not just through the government tabs. Still a lot better than EUIII though.

You still need to manually upgrade obsolete ships. I can understand that you can't just let them auto-upgrade like troops, but at least have a little button which sends them off the the nearest port and have them upgraded with a very slight "scraping" discount.

Combat is still opaque and dice rolls are still way too important. The "pip" system needs to be reworked so it shows the various multipliers so you can get a clear indicate on which unit is better. Needs a military DLC ASAP. 

AI still calling players in battles where they can't physically do anything. That's nice Austria that you're attacking Novgorod but I'm Venice and I'm not sailing through the Baltic and asking for a bunch of military access for you. AI has also called me into battles where they clearly need no help, England called me in to fight Leinster which was a OPM with no allies and no army. I wanted to increase my stability that month, you jerk.

Galleys could do with some more types at the start. Heavy, light and transport ships go through many tech levels before galleys get their first. I think they should be a lot more useful in the early game. Perhaps allow galleys to steer trade at a decreased rate?

Non-europeans are just too weak. Their units get cut down like kobolds and it's way too easy to core and change religion.

Should I get this game if I already have CKII? £32 is seriously hefty..
Depends. Have you played and enjoyed EU3? CK and the EU series are two very different beasts. I suggest you download the demo and use that to help you decide.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2013, 04:01:33 am »

Definitely download the demo. I'm rather disappointed in it thus far, but it's god quite a few really nice features (like trade).
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 216