Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 559329 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - It lives
« Reply #585 on: September 13, 2012, 08:31:18 pm »

When Catalyst shows up, the turn is his.

I'll upload the Linux fixed save in a bit based off the 506 save posted earlier.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 13, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »

I'll upload the Linux fixed save in a bit based off the 506 save posted earlier.

Can you give me a living dwarf list from it?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #587 on: September 13, 2012, 08:55:01 pm »

Can you give me a living dwarf list from it?

Here it is:

`Newbunkle' Alåthtosid, Annoying Doomsayer              Attend Party
 `Strategia' Raltobul, One Legged Prophet of Cheese      Attend Party
 `Eric' Onoliseth, Dwarven Child
 Vabok Logemstâkud, Dwarven Baby

Seems everyone is partying as the world burns around them. I'm doing a bit of a narrative writeup for this, and I can dwarf the baby.

Strangely, the save is at Granite 3. Not sure if the autosave was just slow, or someone hit save manually.

Food stores are happy at 668, but virtually no drink. If the fort falls and a reclaim is necessary: BRING DRINKS!
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 13, 2012, 08:57:45 pm »

Jegus, I just want to get on with my little story. That can't happen until...
Wait, who's turn is it, anyways? OP say's it's Catalyst, but I don't quite understand what happened with sinpwn, and NCommander seems to be playing too, but I thought he was just fixing the save for linux. In fact, I don't quite understand what's going on here at all. It's like the curse of FailCannon's architecture went meta.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 13, 2012, 09:01:42 pm »

Sinpwn was given the turn but got eaten/abducted and hasn't posted to tell when he'll get un-eaten/un-abducted, so Catalyst gets it instead when he can pick it up. In the interim, NCommander is doing some weird voodoo thing to stop the save from making Linux eat itself and reuploading a fixed save without playing. That help?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:05:33 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 13, 2012, 09:12:54 pm »

Yeah, thanks. I guess he's just looking at the fixed save for all his status reports.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 13, 2012, 09:32:27 pm »

I hope my actual voice is now your headcanon voice for Andreus.

Andreus is now DF's Doctor Who. Absolutely headcanon.

I'm sure you did not just called the Doctor "Doctor Who".

The Doctor? Which Doctor?  :P

It's the name of the franchise of which the character "The Doctor" stars in.  Reference to the franchise has the same intended effect as instead referring to the character properly as "The Doctor." While this isn't proper according to the show/fandom, as I'm aware of,  it gets the intended point across that Andreus distinctly reminds me of one of The Doctor(s).

Simply put...close enuff. I'm not a huge follower of the show, I was unaware proper reference was taken so seriously.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #592 on: September 13, 2012, 10:01:45 pm »

DFFD upload: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6914

Here's my bit for the in-story justification:

Department of Worlds and Universes
Help Desk
---

Although many myths have been written on how one's world is created, only those gifted with madness have even known the truth. It is pure fiction that the act of world creation is laborous, or even difficult. Complex as hell, sure, but not difficult. Even now, the water-powered dwarven supercomputer Yggdrasil is creating worlds by the dozen, taking requests from gods (or goddesses) who wish their own realm to rule over. They enter a few parameters, push the button, and presto, new world.

That's where I come in, I'm universe debugger, second class. In short, I listen for hiccups in the multiverse, and try to work out the issues that occasionally crop up when things go pear-shaped. I'd like to say the work is glamorous or even interesting, but its mostly just dredge work. At least it pays the bills.

That is until last week, when I stumbled on a curiosity.

Normally, trouble tickets come from in from the various deities and such who decide to directly interfere with their creations. Usually they manage their charges with the interface (or on occasion even take over a specific individual and go for an adventure). Not this one. The ticket came in for a world called Aluonra, specifically listing an issue with the world, though details were vague and confusing at best.

I'd transcribe it here, but to be honest, it was all sorts of non-sense. Something about a cannon or other shit. I tried to access the world through my viewer, just to find I couldn't. Digging deeper, I went to filing, and pulled the RAW records. Now, I probably should explain that experienced (or sick and twisted) deities can and do tinker with the fundamental underpinning with reality. Some of these are harmless. Others aren't. I still remember that one case where someone modified the chickens to lay live bees.

I still have fucking scars from those bees.

Anyway, Aluonra's raws were heavily modified. As I dug deeper, something felt wrong. I can't describe it in any more detail; it was after all just a feeling. The underlying issue was an index-mismatch; references to raw files that were slightly misnamed in such a way that only those using Linux terminals would have issues. There was also some other issues with the universe-defined drawn objects (aka the graphic packs); I simply took those out of the record and installed a standard set of ASCII definitions so I could at least see what was going on with this world.

As I filed the paperwork back into its cabinet, automated processes in Yggdrasil engaged to make my changes. I suppose my job was done. The ticket had been garbage anyway, and I just fixed a slight oversight. We're not supposed to change people's reality now.

Still, I had this growing sense of unease with this world. Where did that trouble ticket come from? Why does the name Aluonra seem familiar to me?

As I sat at my desk, I brought up the viewer. With the raws corrected, I now saw a settlement on dwarfs partying. Seemed normal enough. My unease grew though, so I brought up Aluonra's world generation record in the main database.

Or at least I tried. The moment I punched in the name, I got a 404 error. File Not Found? What the shit?

Momentarily stemmed, I took a closer look at the ticket. It had been submitted by one 'arclance' and seconded by one 'Mego', but it didn't have any associated user id, or anything to identify who it was. That's when the revelation hit me. Pulling up Aluonra once again, I brought up the unit list. There was a Mego and arclance.

Was it possible the ticket had come from the world itself? It seemed like non-sense, inhabitants shouldn't be aware of us. They sure as hell shouldn't be filing bug reports. At best they might have a sense of "build a staircase" or "dig a tunnel", but direct knowledge?

Unheard of ...

On the other side, this might just be a filing error. The corrupted raws might have thrown Yggdrasil through a loop and the record exists and is just merely misnamed. Then again ...

Fuck it.

I'm going to get to the bottom of this. One way or another.

(OOC: I'm not sure if this is too over the top, or too meta. Feel free to object and this post will vanish into a poof of non-existence.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:04:46 pm by NCommander »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14:06 pm »

You didn't by any chance undo the Phoebusized raws, did ye? Probably not, but eh...
Sinpwn - if you are able to dorf me before the end of your turn, so I don't have to figure out a way to write as someone not actually there, it would be much appreciated.  Just "Catalyst" is fine.

If no available dwarves present themselves before your finished, don't worry about it.  I sort of have a contingency plan, I guess.
Gonna go ahead and request you do the same for me. And if the liaison happens to get his head punched off thus forcing me to play an entire year without migrants, I understand.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #594 on: September 13, 2012, 10:33:04 pm »

You didn't by any chance undo the Phoebusized raws, did ye? Probably not, but eh...
Sinpwn - if you are able to dorf me before the end of your turn, so I don't have to figure out a way to write as someone not actually there, it would be much appreciated.  Just "Catalyst" is fine.

If no available dwarves present themselves before your finished, don't worry about it.  I sort of have a contingency plan, I guess.
Gonna go ahead and request you do the same for me. And if the liaison happens to get his head punched off thus forcing me to play an entire year without migrants, I understand.

I did. Its now on stock ASCII. Prevents issues if you don't have phobeus/tilesets installed (specifically, ASCII corruption that Sinpwn mentioned (and I had the same thing happen). If you want to install a tileset, backup the hellcannon/raw/graphics folder, dump one in, then enable the tileset option in init.txt. Just remember to revert it back.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 13, 2012, 10:49:52 pm »

I hope my actual voice is now your headcanon voice for Andreus.

Andreus is now DF's Doctor Who. Absolutely headcanon.

I'm sure you did not just called the Doctor "Doctor Who".

The Doctor? Which Doctor?  :P

It's the name of the franchise of which the character "The Doctor" stars in.  Reference to the franchise has the same intended effect as instead referring to the character properly as "The Doctor." While this isn't proper according to the show/fandom, as I'm aware of,  it gets the intended point across that Andreus distinctly reminds me of one of The Doctor(s).

Simply put...close enuff. I'm not a huge follower of the show, I was unaware proper reference was taken so seriously.

Then you do not understand how us Whovians work.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 13, 2012, 10:51:24 pm »

I did. Its now on stock ASCII. Prevents issues if you don't have phobeus/tilesets installed (specifically, ASCII corruption that Sinpwn mentioned (and I had the same thing happen). If you want to install a tileset, backup the hellcannon/raw/graphics folder, dump one in, then enable the tileset option in init.txt. Just remember to revert it back.
The game is modded so you can't just "swap out the raws".
It should work fine as long as you leave "descriptor_shape_battlefailed.txt", "language_sym.txt", "language_words.txt", "material_template_default.txt", "reaction_other.txt", and "reaction_adventure_new.txt" alone.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #597 on: September 13, 2012, 10:53:37 pm »

It should work fine as long as you leave "descriptor_shape_battlefailed.txt", "language_sym.txt", "language_words.txt", "material_template_default.txt", "reaction_other.txt", and "reaction_adventure_new.txt" alone.

The graphics folder is independent of the rest which is where tilesets live. Copying in the stock ASCII graphics from stock DF purges the tileset away.

(obviously if you replaced the raws wholesale, it would break with "Missing Reaction" or something similar).

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 13, 2012, 10:58:02 pm »

The graphics folder is independent of the rest which is where tilesets live. Copying in the stock ASCII graphics from stock DF purges the tileset away.

(obviously if you replaced the raws wholesale, it would break with "Missing Reaction" or something similar).
Graphics packs change the tiles and tiles colors of minerals, plants, and creatures so you have to change the "raw/objects" folder or things will look weird.
This is why ASCII looks wrong when you use it with graphics pack raws.
"raw/graphics" overrides the appearance settings from "raw/objects" for creatures only.
The tileset image itself is found in "data/art" not "raw/graphics".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:05:46 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 13, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »

No, cruel fate!  Take this burden from me!

Alright.  Fuck it.  I felt like getting inadvisably drunk and staying up entirely too late tonight anyway.  Get me a Phoebus-ready copy of the save soon and you'll probably have an initial update by morning.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 136