Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3780926 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: 1000 excuses for not updating
« Reply #9915 on: November 07, 2013, 07:44:54 pm »

Yeah, TWoOtA wouldn't have been the same if it wasn't illustrated.

And for me, at least, I find that text-based games inspire me more per unit effort. My attempted ISG did not end well.

I find that with a text game I can get a turn out with very little effort, but the ISG barrier for me is uploading and linking everything. If there were a hosting site I could use that would just let me drag a file from my computer into the browser window, upload in the background, but immediately give me a highlighted URL for the image for when it's ready - that would be acceptable. And I mean exactly zero other steps. Where I drop it would determine where it goes in the hosting site's file structure, etc. Don't even ask me to click an "upload" button. Don't reload the page. Don't load a million ads. It just gets to be too much hassle.

Every image in this game - including the tiny menu changes and all chat boxes - is individually edited, saved as flash files, exported as PNGs, uploaded, and linked. Kids today just ain't know th' value of hard werk. Hremph.

(To be fair, imgur cuts out a few steps, but not all of them)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:49:07 pm by freeformschooler »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: November 07, 2013, 07:48:31 pm »

And I appreciate how much work goes into that! I used to do a lot of uploading work on the first two SGs on my sig, and they died out.

(I didn't do as much drawing work, obviously)

I just realize that while I might be willing to do that much work at the start, there's going to be a point where it's just too much to keep going. Current SG is text-only and we'll see if I can stick with it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: November 07, 2013, 07:51:08 pm »

Yep. It's the reduction problem. Adding complexity to a game is very easy, but removing it (without discrepancies) is very hard.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: November 07, 2013, 09:35:00 pm »

TBH I like the earlier simpler art style better.  Not the original "lol stickguy vs spider" but maybe around the time we met Riltia.  Maybe it would open up the gates of creativity, like the put-ladder-somewhere-else move, by making the world seem more accessible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24:05 pm »

Yeah, TWoOtA wouldn't have been the same if it wasn't illustrated.

And for me, at least, I find that text-based games inspire me more per unit effort. My attempted ISG did not end well.
I find that with a text game I can get a turn out with very little effort, but the ISG barrier for me is uploading and linking everything. If there were a hosting site I could use that would just let me drag a file from my computer into the browser window, upload in the background, but immediately give me a highlighted URL for the image for when it's ready - that would be acceptable. And I mean exactly zero other steps. Where I drop it would determine where it goes in the hosting site's file structure, etc. Don't even ask me to click an "upload" button. Don't reload the page. Don't load a million ads. It just gets to be too much hassle.
For me, the barrier is a combination of time and skill. By which I mean, "I barely have time for text games!" and "I suck at drawing, especially on computers".

Yep. It's the reduction problem. Adding complexity to a game is very easy, but removing it (without discrepancies) is very hard.
If you really need to reduce complex stuff, it's okay. We'll understand, and a stick-figure TWoOtA is better than TWoOtA.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: November 08, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »

Y'know, one thing I kinda miss from early Twoota is how combat was described. It used to be more like "The spider scratches you in the stomach but it's a shallow wound. -2 hp". Now it's just "The spider hits you. -2 hp"
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: November 08, 2013, 08:02:14 pm »

Y'know, one thing I kinda miss from early Twoota is how combat was described. It used to be more like "The spider scratches you in the stomach but it's a shallow wound. -2 hp". Now it's just "The spider hits you. -2 hp"
And the way that Al's neck got cut open, but he could actually heal a point of damage without a healing kit or anything!
If only you could do that in more games.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: November 08, 2013, 08:52:49 pm »

That was nice.

And the way that Al's neck got cut open, but he could actually heal a point of damage without a healing kit or anything!
?

Hm...freeform, would returning to the retro-Warrens be easier on you?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: November 08, 2013, 08:55:01 pm »

?
It was during the fight with the first Searchbot.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: November 08, 2013, 11:42:12 pm »

I don't think that's changed? Well, attacks often are described in detail, but wounds aren't.

And no. Returning to old Warrens would be slightly easier, but not enough to justify it. Plus, it wouldn't make the game come back any sooner or update faster which I have a feeling is what you're asking.

EDIT: The fuk? Are a bunch of old panels displaying as lossy for you guys, too? They're not jpegs but they look like it suddenly. I was looking for something and just noticed it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:46:21 pm by freeformschooler »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: November 08, 2013, 11:50:38 pm »

I don't think that's changed? Well, attacks often are described in detail, but wounds aren't.

And no. Returning to old Warrens would be slightly easier, but not enough to justify it. Plus, it wouldn't make the game come back any sooner or update faster which I have a feeling is what you're asking.

EDIT: The fuk? Are a bunch of old panels displaying as lossy for you guys, too? They're not jpegs but they look like it suddenly. I was looking for something and just noticed it.

that'd be the sweet ciro and hella slog metafilter

just reupload, yo

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: November 08, 2013, 11:51:29 pm »

Sadly, it appears to affect most of the images in the game, and I overwrite png's for small changes often. Reuploading is not an option.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: November 09, 2013, 12:51:43 am »

:shrug: I don't particularly notice it, though I suppose I have no eye for detail.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: November 09, 2013, 08:52:10 am »

Is that what the weird squiggly gray lines on the floors are?
Sig

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: November 09, 2013, 12:52:30 pm »

Is that what the weird squiggly gray lines on the floors are?
Theorycrafting: FFS uses imgur, if I remember correctly. Maybe the images stopped being associated with his account (it says that there's no limit on the website, but maybe he hit an invisible one or something due to all the forum games), so the max filesize decreased and the images got compressed? That's the only thing I can think of. However, if the images are being slowly bumped off, it should affect one at a time, not a bunch at once. I do remember imgur being down for maintenance recently. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1544