Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515018 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

-1    was at war
-5    has casus belli
-15  has claim
-20  allied to rival
-32  They desire your provinces (Falkland Islands, South Georgia Islands, South Sandwich Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Erdogan Dons The Third Way Fez [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3721 on: January 04, 2016, 01:12:50 pm »

Yeah, but it's also the biggest country in Europe. Sweden has been taking much more per capita, and for longer.
In population. In raw square meters Germany comes third.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile

Raw square meters don't mean shizizzles. If they did, Greenland would be a very important nation.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

They're good if you intend to shove people inside.

Granted, shoving people inside Greenland's square meters without heavy investment on infrastructure likely qualifies as a war crime.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Falklands 2: Electric Boogaloo
Second war, same as before!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Granted, shoving people inside Greenland's square meters without heavy investment on infrastructure likely qualifies as a war crime.

Given that most people are city-dwellers rather than sustenance farmers nowadays, not so much.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Given that most people are city-dwellers rather than sustenance farmers nowadays, not so much.
Given that this is what passes for a Greenlandic metropolis...

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: January 04, 2016, 02:39:38 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/argentina/12079614/Argentinas-new-government-says-it-will-press-claims-to-Falkland-Islands.html

The refalkening will begin

Don't they need to have a claim to the Falkland Islands before they can press it?
Forging a claim is a fairly easy task, both in game and in reality.
._.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: January 04, 2016, 02:54:24 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/argentina/12079614/Argentinas-new-government-says-it-will-press-claims-to-Falkland-Islands.html

The refalkening will begin

Don't they need to have a claim to the Falkland Islands before they can press it?
Imperialist pig! Malvinas have always been Argentine! Why else would God have placed them right next to Argentina?? (And by right next to, I mean 300 miles away)

As far as I can tell, their claim goes back to de facto Spanish control of the islands from 1774 to 1811, when the British withdrew but left behind a plaque and flag basically saying "Ha! we still have a core on these islands, suckers". When Spain lost Argentina to revolution in 1811, the Spanish did the same thing, leaving a plaque that said the islands were still Spanish.

In 1820, an Argentine naval vessel wrecked on the islands and the survivors set up a flag and plaque themselves and claimed the islands for Argentina, then promptly got picked up and left the island.

In the late 1820's, the Brits and Argentines both tried colonizing the islands and by 1831, one of the Argentine expeditions had actually survived long enough to call it a colony, which was promptly sacked by a British frigate and declared res nullius. The Argentines rebuilt the colony, there was a mutiny, and the British showed up with a warship and demanded the new colony governor change out the Argentine flag for a British one (at gunpoint).

Been British ever since.

So....it's a legit dispute, imho. I don't think you can argue that leaving a plaque and a flag constitutes de jure ownership, nor does gunboat diplomacy.

The thing is, it's one of the world's biggest dick-waving contests over a piece of land that nobody really fucking wants, unless there's a significant economic need for fish, squid and bird poop.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: January 04, 2016, 02:58:37 pm »

I don't think you can argue that leaving a plaque and a flag constitutes de jure ownership
Actually it did use to work that way. That's why Germany used to have a very, very solid claim on most of Antarctica: Some Nazi exploration plane had dropped some flags there, and by the standards of the time that was sufficient for claiming ownership. Of course that claim was waved without too great a fuss soon after the war...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

In Cologne, over 60 women have filed reports with the police, of being sexually harassed, robbed, and some even raped, during the festivities in the centre of the city on New Years Eve.
The Cologne chief of police, Wolfgang Albers,  says there was a group of about thousand Arab and North-African men roaming the center of Cologne, harassing and robbing people during the festivities. He calls it "an entire new dimension to crime", and "unacceptable that such crimes can occur in our city"

Holy shit, a 1000 man strong bandit gang. I mean, Cologne is not a small city, but that's still some crazy numbers. I wonder if it's real, or if those women filing charges and the chief of police are members of the extreme right trying to create hatred against immigrants.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:01:16 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

So far, the only new outlets to report that are Breitbart and noted Islamophobe Pamela Geller. ABCNews reports the allegation, but reports it only as an allegation.

Breitbart links to a video of a large group of people standing around a plaza while fireworks are shot off. That's pretty much all that happens. Comment section seems to be filled with German right-wingers, though my German is a bit weak to parse all of it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

I wonder if it's real, or if those women filing charges and the chief of police are members of the extreme right trying to create hatred against immigrants.

Possible third option: they could be using the kind of definition of sexual assault that's common on university campuses these days, where even something as harmless as commenting on a person's appearance qualifies as rape.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

So far, the only new outlets to report that are Breitbart and noted Islamophobe Pamela Geller. ABCNews reports the allegation, but reports it only as an allegation.

Breitbart links to a video of a large group of people standing around a plaza while fireworks are shot off. That's pretty much all that happens. Comment section seems to be filled with German right-wingers, though my German is a bit weak to parse all of it.
I got it from our mainstream left-ish dutch newspaper de Volkskrant.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 341