Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515077 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The tsar bomb wasn't a remotely feasible device for application as anything other than research, pride, or an evil overlord's massive self destruct system.

If anyone has a workable tertiary stage thermonuclear weapon, I haven't heard of it. Not much call for it, either. Nuclear arms race is over.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, by the way, that Mao statue from before got demolished as soon as it was finished. We consumerist dystopic moral story now.
Why? By Who?

Reportedly they took it down after internet criticism said the money could have been better spent on things like healthcare and education.

I doubt that's the real reason, as it would have been cheaper in the short term to leave it where it was and it wasn't that expensive as monuments go to begin with, and China isn't exactly renowned for caring about public opinion.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

wasnt paid by the state eitherr supposedly
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Decided to google it a bit.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/08/giant-golden-chairman-mao-statue-destroyed-henan-province

That article says it was built by a village in the Henan province as a tribute to Mao on their own initiative and was possibly torn down because it was on someone's land.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

In Catalonia, against all expectations, the Catalonian seperatist party has managed to reach an agreement with anti-capitalist party CUP, and they will now continue to form a new regional government (together with some nationalist parties).
The agreement was reached when Artur Mas, leader of the seperatist movement, resigned. The CUP had lost all trust in him, and his departure was a hard demand on continuing any negotiations on forming a government.

Mas will be replaced by Carles Puigdemont, the current mayor of Girona.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 06:56:41 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/08/giant-golden-chairman-mao-statue-destroyed-henan-province

That article says it was built by a village in the Henan province as a tribute to Mao on their own initiative and was possibly torn down because it was on someone's land.
That must be one hell of a rich village.
._.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That must be one hell of a rich village.

Before the demolition, Liu Jianwu, dean of the Mao Zedong research centre, said entrepreneurs and residents of Henan’s Zhushigang village appeared to have dreamed up the statue in order to commemorate China’s revolutionary leader.

Could be they just came up with the idea and got money from somewhere else to build it.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

PTWing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

The village didn't need to be that rich. Concrete is cheap enough. Gold paint not very expensive either. Chinese labour even cheaper.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

It was probably cardboard and it melted in the rain.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Sure, guys. An isolated village built a giant gold statue to The Glory of Mao, and it "was immediately torn down" because it "may have been on someone's land." It certainly didn't march off to go crush the West, nosiree.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a statute of Mao, not Lenin. Come on now.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

The tsar bomb wasn't a remotely feasible device for application as anything other than research, pride, or an evil overlord's massive self destruct system.

If anyone has a workable tertiary stage thermonuclear weapon, I haven't heard of it. Not much call for it, either. Nuclear arms race is over.

What was any more unfeasible abou the tsar bomb than any other bomber-dropped nuclear weapon of the time?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile

New life goal: make a seven-stage nuclear bomb and detonate it. To prove that I can.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

What was any more unfeasible abou the tsar bomb than any other bomber-dropped nuclear weapon of the time?
It took some special modifications that greatly reduced the flight range, IIRC.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 341