Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435654 times)

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: Keeping SVU in Business
« Reply #1380 on: July 22, 2013, 07:35:01 pm »

Quote from: To AM
Do you have any kind of e-books for free download? And the H.M.R.C. pantheon that you gave Lars in a virtual format. I really want to read something while waiting. Preferably books about weaponry and tips on assassination.

Send message to AM. Keep watching the gate.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 22, 2013, 09:04:32 pm »

In a rather dangerous move, considering how quickly he is moving through the streets, Stacy decides to type up a statement to dear old Faith.

Quote from: Stacy Buttle, to: Executive Equipment & Expertise Evaluator Faith No-idea-what-her-last-name-is
Dear Executive Equipment & Expertise Evaluator,

I am sorry to say that I have currently wandered off to keep an eye on the two less stable individuals in our merry venture in crowd pacification. I am sure I need not provide specific names. In lieu of my presence, I can tell you that I have a Microwave Field Manipulator, a 1/8th kiloton nuclear explosive charge (grabbed it from Sandy in case things got really, really, unsalvageably bad) and a MKII spacesuit. I am reasonably competent in the use of manipulators, and I am familiar with the operation of the nuclear charge. The MKII, to my knowledge, operates itself. I could be wrong. Through the application of my rather reasonable intellect, I am reasonably able (or at least not cripplingly incompetent) in tasks involving work with machines, medicine or software. I am also not entirely terrible at talking to people and making up on-the-spot odes to women, and am rather flexible both in terms of drug experimentation and in the general moral sense. I was also chemically altered by Sandy (the nice armory lady) to have a compulsive need to either dance or sing, and I can switch between these two modes. I hope this is enough information, dear Executive Equipment & Expertise Evaluator.

Sincerely yours,
Stacy Buttle.

Once he finally looks up, he observes that he hasn't missed a thing.
Faith stared at Stacy's response for a good while.

Quote from: Message from Faith to Stacy Buttle
Thank you, yes. Your MKII operates itself normally, but can be manually overriden for rare, specific purposes. Please do not under any circumstances use the 1/8th kiloton charge. I find it very difficult to imagine a situation where that would make things better rather than worse.

Thank you for keeping an eye on our less stable members.

On a related note, please try to keep casualties to a minimum.

Quote from: Lyra to Faith
I have an amp. I have basic medical training. I am familiar with basic equipment. I am neither a technician nor a medic.
Quote from: Faith to Lyra
Thank you, Lyra. What kind of amp is it, and are you familiar with its use?

Quote from: Official Memo to Faith
Just a humble Bureaucrat, here.
Faith winced. Great...

Quote from: Faith to Bureaucrat
That's unfortunate. Do you have any useful skills outside bureaucracy? What is your current equipment?

Quote from: From: Charles Leroux; To: Faith Valentine
I'm a former psychiatrist, I'm good with persuasion and communication. Currently, I am equipped with a remotely-operated rifle.
Quote from: Faith to Charles
Your skills may be very useful on this mission.

Please try to avoid casualties with your rifle if possible, however.

"Miss Faith, you wanted to know what I can do?"
"Yes. Is there anything you're good at that may be helpful on this mission? What equipment do you have?"

Quote from: Message to Faith
Have painkillers. Blood stoppage meds. Have pyrokinetic amp.
Quote from: Message to Xan
Handy. Any medical training? How proficient are you with your amp?

Quote from: To Faith
I'm an (almost) trained medical professional with a toolbox, some medical supplies, a scout eye that is currently trying to get itself stepped on, and a pyro manipulator.
Faith thought back to her experienced with scout eyes. Or as she thought of them, portable ramming drones.

...probably best not to risk morale.
Quote from: Message back
Be very careful with your scout eye. They are very, very fragile and can be hard to control.

How familiar are you with your manipulator's operation?

Renen here, I have two kinds of swords plus a knife and a piece of rope. I'm good at swordfighting and only at that for now.
Faith cocked an eyebrow. Renen was the Doctor's disciple now, wasn't he...

Quote from: Faith to Renen
Thank you. Please try to avoid casualties if possible; we're hoping to scare and inconvenience, and I would prefer not to make martyrs or reinforce our position as the enemy.

Quote from: To Robo-Boobs
I've got an MK II, an MFM, a Kinetic Amplifier and an emergency medical thingy, though I don't know how much of it is left. And I have a gun, with four shots left. And a megaphone. I also make good Pizza and currently have 90,000,000,000,000 views on my online sex tape. 
Faith regarded May's message with a bit of dread, before realizing it was fairly informative and sane. Her face did briefly twitch at remembering her leaving Charro to die in a nightmarish alien shadow world, but quickly returned to normal.

Quote from: Faith to May
Thank you. Please try not to disturb the locals too badly; we want to convince them that we're dangerous, not hostile.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 22, 2013, 09:41:26 pm »

"I'm really good at making stuff and have this repair kit!" He holds up the repair kit to show Faith.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 22, 2013, 09:53:50 pm »

I have an amp. I have basic medical training. I am familiar with basic equipment. I am neither a technician nor a medic.
Quote from: Faith to Lyra
Thank you, Lyra. What kind of amp is it, and are you familiar with its use?
Look up at Faith for two seconds before typing on my wrist-comp
Microwave Amp
I am familiar, but no expert. I would prefer to avoid using it if possible.
after sending the message, look back up at Faith, my head tilted to my right.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 22, 2013, 10:44:30 pm »

I've got a handle on it not exploding immediately right now. I figured out how to get those little legs on the bottom going, hence why it's trying to get stepped on instead of trying to ram the walls. About to set it up as a stationary camera over the wall for now.

And I'm familiar enough with it to know I probably don't want to do anything more than fiddle with it's cover menacingly unless I am uninterested in the continued survival of anything nearby me.

Look for somewhere to setup the scout eye where it can see the stairs up to the gate, somewhere either hidden or out of the path of traffic on the wall.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:54 pm »

Quote from: Message to Faith
Reasonably proficient with amp. Don't malfunction catastrophically. No medical training; meds mostly to stop pain if injured long enough to incinerate assailant.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 22, 2013, 10:59:34 pm »

"Blast... now... what was that woman's name again... I know I remember someone... Katherine... Quatherine... Caethareeene?"

Continue to search for my contact.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 23, 2013, 05:38:24 am »

Quote from: Message from Faith to Stacy Buttle
Thank you, yes. Your MKII operates itself normally, but can be manually overriden for rare, specific purposes. Please do not under any circumstances use the 1/8th kiloton charge. I find it very difficult to imagine a situation where that would make things better rather than worse.

Thank you for keeping an eye on our less stable members.

On a related note, please try to keep casualties to a minimum.

Stacy was glad to see his message answered, but there was the matter of the bomb, still. Before going to the shopkeeper, he types out a message once more.

Quote from: Stacy Buttle, to: Executive Equipment & Expertise Evaluator Faith Smithee
Dear Executive Equipment & Expertise Evaluator,

Thank you for replying to my message with such alacrity and diligence, it is much appreciated. Anyway, my idea for the 1/8th kiloton charge was to use it if we are surrounded by riotous barbarians at the end of our tenure here and a peaceful solution seems unlikely - in that case, we may detonate the charge in a large crowd to both break the morale and thin the numbers of the rioters, not to mention irradiate a wide area and make it unsuitable for further riotous behavior. This would, naturally, be an "enemy at the gates" situation. I am still considering the best way to apply it in such a case - a ground-level detonation would be easier to achieve, yet waste a lot of energy and create fallout, while an airburst would be more difficult, but better for sustainable development of the area in the future. An airburst also solves the problem of somebody stealing or sabotaging the charge beforehand, so it seems to be the more attractive option.

Naturally, this would be a gruesome act of terror and mass murder, but I presume we may reach a point where such means may be justified, no? For now, murder would certainly cause more trouble than it would solve, albeit if carried out under reasonable secrecy, might be helpful against any rebellious elements in the city. And I will try to prevent it until a point where it becomes useful, as decided by you, dear Executive Equipment & Expertise Evaluator, or a similarly authorized person on the chain of command (do we have one, actually?).

Sincerely yours,
Stacy Buttle.

He almost marvels at his own typing speed. The governmental clerk days just seem to be rushing back to him, really.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 23, 2013, 08:51:49 am »

((You've been here- what, two days? - and are already making plans involving nuking the city.

I see everything is up to spec, carry on.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:56 am »

((You've been here- what, two days? - and are already making plans involving nuking the city.

I see everything is up to spec, carry on.))

((Well, I do have a nuke. What use would a nuke be if I didn't plan to use it for an extremely dire, worst-case scenario version of crowd control?

I stand by my statement that the 1/8th kiloton charge is extremely good value for your money, once you get an idea of what the blast would be like.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:51 am »

I stand by my statement that the 1/8th kiloton charge is extremely good value for your money, once you get an idea of what the blast would be like.))

((Here's one for how the blast would be like: That thing is simultaneously smaller (just a bit, though) than and 6.25 to 12.5 times as powerful as the M-388 warhead that the Davy Crockett nuclear recoilless rifle used.

You would, with an idealized ground detonation, get overpressures at:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, damage out to about a mile, but only major damage within about a quarter mile. Not counting thermal or fallout effects.))
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:34:47 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 23, 2013, 10:34:44 am »

Quote from: Faith to Renen
Thank you. Please try to avoid casualties if possible; we're hoping to scare and inconvenience, and I would prefer not to make martyrs or reinforce our position as the enemy.

Don't worry, there won't be any casualties if they don't ask for it.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 23, 2013, 10:43:57 am »

((Here's one for how the blast would be like: That thing is simultaneously smaller (just a bit, though) than and 6.25 to 12.5 times as powerful as the M-388 warhead that the Davy Crockett nuclear recoilless rifle used.

So, damage out to about a mile, but only major damage within about a quarter mile. Not counting thermal or fallout effects.))

((And that's for structures. I plan to use it to eliminate an unmanageable crowd of people if I need to. Considering that 1 psi does light to moderate damage to ordinary houses, people aren't likely to do too well in about 1/3 mile to half a mile radius, if not further.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1393 on: July 23, 2013, 11:39:22 am »

((Not so! One swift strike on the right person's head, and it all crumbles in a bunch of civil war.))
I believe Princip's backup weapon was a garden hoe.

Walk up to one of the frightened shopkeepers, switch to uncontrollable dancing.

"Greetings, my friend! You seem rather uncomfortable. May I ask what the problem is?"

Consult phrasebook for some of the more common phrases in Pharsec - greetings, proper methods of address and expressing gratitude, that kind of thing.
"No problem. No problem." He stammers and tries to look busy and avoid eye contact. Occasionally he glances up to make sure you're still there.

You run through the guidebook and find several phrases you think will be helpful in the future; greetings, methods of addressing others-they have nothing regarding addressing those of lower rank- various polite words and actions. You make sure to note the rude gestures as well, just to make sure you don't do them.

Look around for further signs of dissent with Glorious Leader.
Smile reassuringly at shopkeepers.

Your smiles do nothing to abate the fear and distrust of the shopkeepers. As you and the patrol party walk down the center of the street, people part in front of you and give you a wide berth. As you continue down the loosely paved road, you come to a small grassy, open area. There's a small crowd in the center of the area, and you can hear shouting in a foreign tongue.

Find nearest residential area and snoop around.
There are no residential areas around here, unless you count the homes of the shopkeepers that you occasionally see built near their shops.

Quote from: To AM
Do you have any kind of e-books for free download? And the H.M.R.C. pantheon that you gave Lars in a virtual format. I really want to read something while waiting. Preferably books about weaponry and tips on assassination.

Send message to AM. Keep watching the gate.

You yawn and lean against the wall while writing your message.

I've got a book about assassination and the Pantheon is available too, if you want them.

I've got a handle on it not exploding immediately right now. I figured out how to get those little legs on the bottom going, hence why it's trying to get stepped on instead of trying to ram the walls. About to set it up as a stationary camera over the wall for now.

And I'm familiar enough with it to know I probably don't want to do anything more than fiddle with it's cover menacingly unless I am uninterested in the continued survival of anything nearby me.

Look for somewhere to setup the scout eye where it can see the stairs up to the gate, somewhere either hidden or out of the path of traffic on the wall.
The top of the wall here has small, flat stone ridges running along it's sides. You think the scout eye should be safe on one of them; assuming no one goes out of their way to find and destroy it.

"Blast... now... what was that woman's name again... I know I remember someone... Katherine... Quatherine... Caethareeene?"

Continue to search for my contact.
[will:6]
"Oh my god, I'm completely insane. There's no contact here. I'm not even a Bureaucrat...My name is William...I'm a dentist...I killed my wife...everything is a lie. Everything is a lie."

You blink and then smile.

"Oh, I know, I should find that messenger guy."

((And that's for structures. I plan to use it to eliminate an unmanageable crowd of people if I need to. Considering that 1 psi does light to moderate damage to ordinary houses, people aren't likely to do too well in about 1/3 mile to half a mile radius, if not further.))

I keep reference data for exactly this sort of thing.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 23, 2013, 11:56:19 am »

I keep reference data for exactly this sort of thing.

((Ooh, educational!))

"You need not fear me, good sir. I'm not one of the violent types, not at all. I only use violence when other methods have utterly failed, so your safety is not compromised in any way whatsoever. At least, if things continue as they are. I was hoping to ask you a few things in a strictly unofficial capacity. Is this agreeable?"

Question the shopkeeper... unofficially and kindly.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 243