Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Forgotten beasts and forgotten polls. Is there a way to take this down?

I am an option
- 0 (0%)
I am a better option
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 20, 2013, 03:45:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 87

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest 2: Stasno Nokastomsu, A Bloated Towering Ape!  (Read 287631 times)

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Art Contest: Round 2!
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2013, 02:40:47 pm »

This is outstanding!

PTW
When I strike the earth it stays struck.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2013, 03:10:03 pm »

I PTW anything that seems interesting

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2013, 03:15:03 pm »

Hey folks, with the first round drawing to a close Rocktomato was asking regarding the choosing of the winner.

From what I understand, in the 1st generation of the thread the eventual process was a vote to determine the winner.

The current process is that only the person who posts the beast gets to choose the winner after 1 week has passed. The winner then chooses a new beast. Ideally, the picture submissions would include a beast to be used if they win.

My personal thinking is that having the poster choose the winner is a lot faster, especially if everyone gets into the habit of posting their favorite creature for when they win.

At the same time, I can see some merit to the general vote. Any thoughts on this?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2013, 04:11:51 pm »

I think it's a great idea for each submission to have a FB attached to it (as a hard rule) - you can't be picked as a WINNER if you don't include one. I know we've all seen how the thread can quickly lose it's momentum when the winner doesn't return with a new FB promptly.

The pitfall I can see is when someone is picked as a winner - regardless of whether they acknowledge it or not, we can start to draw the new beast. But when it comes around to picking a winner for that round, and the original winner isn't present.. what do we do then? How long do we wait for them to return? How long is the poll for the new winner?

Do we give CognitiveDissonance admin power to solve any lulls by announcing winners/picking new FB? More importantly, do you want this power?
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2013, 05:16:01 pm »

Okay, waiting on the face puncher :D
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2013, 01:50:58 am »

I think it's a great idea for each submission to have a FB attached to it (as a hard rule) - you can't be picked as a WINNER if you don't include one. I know we've all seen how the thread can quickly lose it's momentum when the winner doesn't return with a new FB promptly.

The pitfall I can see is when someone is picked as a winner - regardless of whether they acknowledge it or not, we can start to draw the new beast. But when it comes around to picking a winner for that round, and the original winner isn't present.. what do we do then? How long do we wait for them to return? How long is the poll for the new winner?

Do we give CognitiveDissonance admin power to solve any lulls by announcing winners/picking new FB? More importantly, do you want this power?

Hmm, you bring up some interesting points. I'm against absolutely requiring FB submissions as I would find that a disincentive if I were to join this thread. Here are my suggestions:
- If everything goes well, we proceed as follows. Author of beast chooses winner, winner presents FB (hopefully linked previously) and another week goes ahead

- If the original author is not around to choose a winner, we run a 2 day poll. First fast the post wins, and posts the next beastie.

- If that person is also not around, we should start a Forgotten Beast Compendium somewhere, such as an open Google Docs file, where people can put their favorite beasties and any relevant backstory to them. That way, we can pick a random or just a very interesting one, and keep going.

This way, the turn-around would be at most 10 days long.

Thoughts?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:54 am »

I'm game.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2013, 02:34:28 am »

Hmm, you bring up some interesting points. I'm against absolutely requiring FB submissions as I would find that a disincentive if I were to join this thread. Here are my suggestions:
- If everything goes well, we proceed as follows. Author of beast chooses winner, winner presents FB (hopefully linked previously) and another week goes ahead

- If the original author is not around to choose a winner, we run a 2 day poll. First fast the post wins, and posts the next beastie.

- If that person is also not around, we should start a Forgotten Beast Compendium somewhere, such as an open Google Docs file, where people can put their favorite beasties and any relevant backstory to them. That way, we can pick a random or just a very interesting one, and keep going.

Thoughts?
Change the last one to second place poll winner picks a FB if first place doesn't pop up continue until we have no one who enter then just start back with last poll winner only.

also I'm against having to bring a FB to the table to draw, and having a database for FB incase of when the guy who won last time is a no show. kinda ruins the flare of seeing a new FB.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:02 am »

Woah damn another of these. PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2013, 02:48:58 am »

The suggestions look pretty good to me, and I agree with Rum's thoughts as well.
Though I am in favor of a FB Compendium; but for completed FBs with their respective drawings placed inside. Or were you already planning on listing all completed FBs on the first page, Cognitive?

Anyway, here's an engraving of One Mucousjuice and lunch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2013, 03:12:42 am »

This.
It isn't up to me to decide, but I like this one. Good job!
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2013, 10:23:04 am »

Thoughts?
Change the last one to second place poll winner picks a FB if first place doesn't pop up continue until we have no one who enter then just start back with last poll winner only.

also I'm against having to bring a FB to the table to draw, and having a database for FB incase of when the guy who won last time is a no show. kinda ruins the flare of seeing a new FB.

I do like that. I do want to balance the fun versus performance, as THE THREAD MUST FLOW. But this could be a good start to it. So, to reiterate:

• Once a Forgotten Beast is announced, everyone has 7 days to draw it
  • At the end of the week, the owner of the beast picks their favorite. This person then chooses the next beast.
  • If the owner is not available, the images are put up for a short vote. The winner chooses the next beast.
  • If not available, the runner-up gets the honours

If things stall, we will change. But I like this, it's friendlier and more organic. Thoughts?

Also, in regards to...

The suggestions look pretty good to me, and I agree with Rum's thoughts as well.
Though I am in favor of a FB Compendium; but for completed FBs with their respective drawings placed inside. Or were you already planning on listing all completed FBs on the first page, Cognitive?

Anyway, here's an engraving of One Mucousjuice and lunch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would like to put together a compendium of drawings, and the front page will not last for long. A friend of mine just started a domain though and offered me hosting space for anything, so I just might plop it there.

Also that One Mucousjuice is AMAZING. Love it :D

EDIT: I forgot to respond to this:

I am very hesitant to choose a winner based solely on my preference. In an event of a general stall, I could declare a winner based on general comments as the pictures were posted. I would also want them seconded, ala formal meetings.

Such as:
Me: "As the voting has stalled, I declare ThisDamnArtist a winner due to having the most positive response"
CouldBeYou: "Seconded!"
Me: "Okay, I will message ThisDamnArtist and get them to pick the next beastie"

If nobody is readily available to post a beastie, I would rather draw on community content. I frequently come across very interesting stories about forgotten beasts, and I could start collecting them for unique challenges when necessary.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:25:45 pm by CognitiveDissonance »

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2013, 12:13:55 pm »

The rules sound good to me!
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

IpunchFaces

• Bay Watcher
  • "Incessant cackling surrounds you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:40 pm »

Thanks Cognitive & Yuli :D. I don't have much experience drawing birds but I'm happy how it turned out. Too bad I can't color worth a damn; strictly black-and-white guy.

...If nobody is readily available to post a beastie, I would rather draw on community content. I frequently come across very interesting stories about forgotten beasts, and I could start collecting them for unique challenges when necessary.

Yes! That sounds great. Also, we could have other challenges once in a while, just to spice things up. Like, as previously stated, drawing an FB based on a scenario/story, or based on a dwarf/human/dirty elf's PoV, or just having the drawings be done strictly on MSpaint and other such ideas. I don't know if this feels too restrictive for the others though.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2013, 05:55:32 pm »

Quickie before bed:

Spoiler: "Nuthatch" (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 87