Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 102735 times)

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #630 on: July 22, 2013, 03:57:53 pm »

Well, last time we lived next to a forest of those they all went Michael Bay and sh!t hit the fan short after.
They are being dispersed anyway. So what we do would not have much of an effect on stalling their spread regardless. Also, there were several orders of magnitude more balloons back then than there currently are, no?

Although, I admit I am not sure how many balloons we would require to lift a single nightmace/ whatever our next evolution will be called. Considering that we are by nature a flying creature (usually light) and <40cm long I don't assume it is all that many.

Oh, and I didn't +1 better poison in my last posts (so +1)... nor did I see 'better senses' when I suggested 'better hearing' Huh.

blademan9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 23, 2013, 06:09:56 am »

with methane sacks we can eventually evolve the ability to breathe fire and be a dragon!
There is a massive magma snake moving in down stairs as well as a flood and a tunnel to hell also downstairs and you are worried about me putting my feet on the furniture.
GWG you are meant to be the sane one.
Just because the apocalypse is happening downstairs is no reason to abandon manners young wizard.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 23, 2013, 06:57:44 am »

Eh, not really. The volume of methane needed for any appreciable effect would be ridiculously huge at close to standard conditions. The ignition mechanism is also far from trivial, and finally: It would be pretty damn inefficient.
+1 for better toxins
-1 for toxin traps - if something gets into our nest, traps aren't gonna be of much help.

Develop pack hunting and a social structure with guardians for our nests.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:27 am »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Gripping tentacles- 5+3=+6, Improved senses- 1+2=3, Uric acid- 1+2=3, Poison traps- 1, More nocturnal- 5, Less heat-loss- 5, More toxins- 6, Better wings- 2+2=4, Better hearing- 5+1=6, Better pack-hunting- 6+1=+6

The philosopher nightmace is, as of now, the most intelligent animal ever to have evolved on this planet. It has a grasp of complex problem-solving and forethought, making it only slightly less intelligent than a human. Its pack-hunting skills are phenomenal, and can use complex cultural language to communicate. The poison-spitting tubes have developed into manipulating tentacles, and the extra musculature lets them spit venom over even greater distances. Said venom can now kill with mere drops, and a goat-sized animal would die in seconds if it had no immunity. For the majority of animals, however, they do have some sort of immunity, so far more venom is needed to kill them. Nightmace are even better at hunting at night now, and their hosts will often wake up to a delicious meal of carrion from the nightmace's own meals. Infrared-proofing insulation lets them stay active in even the coldest weather, and makes it harder for animals with infrared vision to see a philosopher nightmace. Improved hearing lets them detect a mouse-sized animal burrowing from up to 50 metres away.

The woodland is starting to dry out as well, and the coastline is shrinking. The other continent has joined ours, and glaciers are coming down from it, smothering the coasts. Relatives of ours, sightmace, have evolved complex vision in ultraviolet, normal and infrared spectrums. They can take advantage of their previously-evolved absurd overcompensation for a lack of sight, and if we don't have some luck, we might be in trouble.

GENERATION 26:
Philosopher nightmace
A mottled dark purple bird-like animal that hunts under the montane forest canopy. They use their fanged tentacles to attack and kill their prey. They mostly fly. They grow up to 40 centimetres long, and their offspring are called tentaclets. They use two claws on their back to snatch prey from the ground or air.
SOCIAL: They live in groups of about 25, alongside one or two eagle-squid.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and an extremely good sense of smell/taste. A keen electrical sense lets it find creatures that are close to it, and it can feel vibrations from moving creatures. Its hearing is extraordinary, and it can echolocate. However, this is still inferior to the eagle-eyed vision of other slicers, although the eagle-squid partially makes up for that.
REPRODUCTION: It 'kisses' a mate it approves of, passing male cells to it, and growths grow inside of the womb. Tentaclets follow their mother and are fed by them. They eat regurgitated food from the mother's guts, and when they are old enough, they leave.
MOVEMENT: They fly by using their front wings to glide and their back wings as engines. They have two legs on their underside, which can break through wood and dig through dirt. They can use their wings and legs to gallop across the ground.
EATING: It impales small animals and digests them by drawing them into the guts. They are able to prey on most animals smaller than them, and they  use venom. Most of their food is from grazing worms and the dense vegetation. Other prey include land-dwelling spearfaced worms (slitherers) and other flappers, as well as leggedgrinders. We can use a precise jet of neurotoxin, laced with silica shards (to pierce the skin), to kill prey. We scavenge from the kills of our host when we are not hunting.
PREDATION: We have few predators, now we are protected by our shells and our hosts.
SYMBIOSIS: The greater eagle-squid, a large predator with a 3-metre wingspan and powerful vision and claws.
COMPETITION: Sightmace seem to be the greatest threat. They are like us, but with sight.
INTELLIGENCE: We have complex language and good manipulators.
ENVIRONMENT: A cold woodland with loose trees and quite a few balloons above it.

CURRENT ENVIRONMENT: Cold woodlands
NEARBY ENVIRONMENTS: Mammoth steppe, icy ocean, alpine meadows, glaciers, icy mudflats

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 23, 2013, 08:45:06 am »

Gain the problem-solving and dextrous abilities required to make tools.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 23, 2013, 08:50:42 am »

Make our venom thick and sticky, to allow us to blind any predators with.
Aim for the eyes!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 23, 2013, 08:56:28 am »

Develop light-emitting glands/organs on the sides that can flash bright patterns of light to disorient sight-based predators.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 23, 2013, 09:03:42 am »

Develop light-emitting glands/organs on the sides that can flash bright patterns of light to disorient sight-based predators.
Light the forest up like a rave, then hope the Sightmaces are prone to epilepsy?

We already have tentacles, gripping claws and language, why the hell not? +1
Also, think up some kind of derogatory name to call the sighted ones.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 23, 2013, 09:04:48 am »

Just to distract them.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 23, 2013, 10:12:58 am »

Eyediots.
Iunno.

Why not? +1
And this. +1

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #640 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:16 am »

Eyediots.
Iunno.

Why not? +1
And this. +1
Yep +1
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 23, 2013, 11:14:25 am »

So, light ourselves up in the dark so we can be seen even more easily? -1.

Tools? sure, +1

The sightmace isn't as intelligent as us yet, right?
As the philosopher nightmace is of an intelligence just sub-par of humans....
What do we reckon of our chances at attempting to domesticate the sightmace?

I mean, if the sightmaces evolved from us recently, then they should have that same pack mentality we have, and that which humanity abused in wolves oh so long ago, right?

Learn to use our claws to tear chunks of meat off of larger carcasses. Because, seriously, we are this lethal and can only feed on things smaller than us because of how we eat :/.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:05 am »

So, light ourselves up in the dark so we can be seen even more easily? -1.
Think defence mechanism to blind a creature hunting us. NOT on all the time. Ever worn night vision goggles and been exposed to bright light suddenly? It'd be like that.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 23, 2013, 11:17:44 am »

+1 to all of these.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 23, 2013, 11:19:09 am »

+1 as well.
We shall render the Sight useless!
Camouflage! Flash grenades! Jam their vision!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 62